• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:57:30 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Peripheral vision with your peripherals

Started by Napalm Nick, April 15, 2015, 02:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Napalm Nick

April 15, 2015, 02:06:13 PM Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 02:08:35 PM by Napalm Nick
Having been set a task I was just about to give up when GPBikes started playing the game.

The other halves moaning about "that's the bloody kitchen table again", suddenly drowned in Eureka's!!

this is da bonggg as I think they say. I can see!

get 3 monitors NOW! :D

I can't stop dancing
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

teeds

Looks saweet ineedy! I would if VR headsets weren't so close to release ;)

Bambino

Wow! :o

What configuration you have to good see onboard? You can give me please?

Thanks and congratulations! ;)

Hawk

Napalm Nick

Quote from: teeds on April 15, 2015, 02:45:46 PM
Looks saweet ineedy! I would if VR headsets weren't so close to release ;)
Agreed hopefully peripheral vision and clarity in VR will be the same or better. It sure won't need as much space  ::)

Quote from: Hawk UK on April 15, 2015, 03:26:42 PM
Very nice Nick! ;D 8)

Hawk
Thanks  I think you would like this setup. If you take into account the 180ish deg rear view too its almost full surround vision

Quote from: Bambino on April 15, 2015, 02:56:53 PM
Wow! :o

What configuration you have to good see onboard? You can give me please?

Thanks and congratulations! ;)

Thanks I have just thrown it together here to see if its possible I will list my setup soon
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

doubledragoncc

Great to see others trying this. I tried triple 27in Asus HD screens last year and was great, BUT, I found it felt a bit stretched no matter what settings and find a 50in. screen thats about 4ft away to be almost as if ON the bike. I have eye problems, frickin heritage of my family, so it is different for me. It is worth to experiment with what you have in turms of not just the FOV but how far you are from the screen.

You may be surprised by just moving a screen closer to you and changing the FOV.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Napalm Nick

Yeh I found a FOV and Res that allowed 100% main and 85% side coverage which helped with the stretch nicely.
At the moment I'm just happy watching my whole arm move during the raise arm gesture  :D
You could say i'm easily pleased but for me having this peripheral vision is a revolution. And of course when combined with head movement controls and even the corner anticipation its even better.

One other point was the trouble I have when the bike goes out of view in 1st person during a fast tight turn - well now the bike is still in the riders peripheral vision on screen like it would be in real. Its sweet.

Like you say the scale is now almost 1:1 might try it with me elmit on  :o :D

Shame the dining table  is required I'd like to try with other riders on track.

Napalm Nick

Sorry I have been quiet lately , some sad family business to sort out, however....here's a little vid I made of the 3 monitor malarkey.
https://www.youtube.com/v/ueHGQZHCLu4&feature=youtu.be
Hope you like it  ;)

Hawk

Very nice Nick..... It would be interesting to see how much you can see riders who are coming up the inside of you on those outer monitors?  ;D

Hawk.

Napalm Nick

Thanks Hawk,

Yes I just had a race with our Japanese friends down in Philip Island on 500's it worked pretty well, I managed to avoid a lot of overtakers lol.  :D

HornetMaX

Napalm Nick

Quote from: HornetMaX on April 25, 2015, 09:40:13 AM
Looks nice ! What's the FOV ?
MaX.

This setup was not the optimal one I was using under a different profile and is at 85%. I found 67% was about right for me on an earlier test  but it will depend on individual peripheral setup, res and monitor size of course.

Wish I'd had more time to calibrate for bezel alignment and thickness and height etc but it worked and that was the main aim.

HornetMaX

Napalm Nick

Quote from: HornetMaX on April 25, 2015, 10:48:19 AM
85% ?! You mean 85 degrees ?
MaX.

Um....... of course     :-[
85 on the slidey-thing, degrees makes sense but it could be owl-head rotations.   

Klax75

April 30, 2015, 07:55:06 AM #14 Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 07:57:28 AM by Klax75
This looks kind of cool.

34" Class 21:9 UltraWide
http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-29UM67-P-ultrawide-led-monitor

This is a picture scaled down from the original size but with the same proportions so it will be on the screen. This is a screen shot of my screen at 1920x1080, then used photoshop to add in the addition area that would make it 2560 x 1080. My field of view I use in GP Bikes is 80 degrees so I can try to see people passing me on the sides. Also to see my shadow at times to try and hold me lean angle.

Not a three monitor system that I long for but interesting. :)

I have a Oculus Rift DK2, but I'm worried since every game I've used with it is a 1x1 ratio for head movement. And for me, I would never be able to turn my head around far enough to see behind me. :/ Since it gives you slight tunnel vision already. Car Sim's aren't as bad, since you have mirrors.