• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:01:44 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Post Beta 7 transition

Started by Napalm Nick, May 16, 2015, 07:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Napalm Nick

May 16, 2015, 07:42:32 AM Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 08:57:40 AM by Napalm Nick
We are approaching my first Beta upgrade.

In my garage I arrange wood screws in coffee jars in diameter order subdivided by shank lengths. I plan ahead and I plan meticulously.

Would it be useful to list what might need looking at post release as far as mods go? The old hands have done it before but the new 'talent' haven't.

For example,
1. Bikes will need upgrading to work with B7?
2. tracks?
3. Paints?
4. Personal garage art?
5. Plugins
6. Tools - Track Ed, Painted, and associated tools and exporters etc

Might just be worth having a list here for Modders and Mod users reference? Fire the thoughts in and I will amend/update the list.

Conversely you might think I am wasting breath, if so tell me and I've got a messy sock drawer to organise.  :D

"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Docfumi

Good idea Nick as I can't live without the MaxHUD plugin.  :o
I didn't lose the race, I ran out of laps.

Napalm Nick

Yesss Plugins! Thanks Doc - first post amended
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Hawk

Quote from: Docfumi on May 16, 2015, 07:50:10 AM
Good idea Nick as I can't live without the MaxHUD plugin.  :o

Max has always been brilliant and very quick to update his plugins when any new beta has been released, so I wouldn't worry too much about waiting too long for Max's plugins.  ;)

Tracks usually have no need to be updated to work with new beta releases, not in my experience, but then we never know?  :-\
The only big change I would really like to see as far as tracks is concerned is in the track tools, especially the exporters: Preferably to get the FBX exporter working and able to export all the normal and spec maps within the export(FBX exporters are renowned to be very good at exporting everything and anything, from animation, mesh, maps, shaders, the lot!), and maybe TrackED having a bit more of a polished finish with some added useful functions, but would prefer GPB itself being fully sorted first before any work on tools is done. But it would be a very nice surprise if Piboso had updated the track tools with these abilities.  ;D 8)

Bikes MODS are usually the main things that need major updates and the one thing we tend to have to wait a week or more for the updates to be applied and released. But that depends on what changes have been made to the core GPB physics engine that would affect the bike physics?

The excitement and tension is building guys!  ;D

Hawk

Napalm Nick

Yep no worries with Max's plugins he strikes me as a man already in full control of the sock drawer.  :P

Good points Hawk thank you.  1st post amended

HornetMaX

Plugin updates are usually trivial (at least for MaxHUD, MaxTM requires a bit of extra time). That assuming something changes in the plugin interface, which may or may not be the case (e.g. MXB beta2 --> beta3 = no change).

Bikes: uncertain. If there are physics changes (I mean not only parameters tuning), the modded bikes may not work. In some cases the changes are somehow "backward compatible", but likely work would be necessary anyway to take advantage of the new features.

Tracks: there have been changes in KRP b12 to b13 (new dynamic track code, which by the way seems to have a negative impact on online). So I would expect changes in tracks for GPB too, which means the track modders have a huge work in front of them. I feel the pain at the prospect of using the fbx exporter on more than 100 tracks.

@Napalm Nick: my sock drawer is a mess :)

MaX.

Napalm Nick

Great info Max thanks,

so the naturally resulting question is will Beta 7 come with, or better still, be preceded by, a changelog so we can prepare?? 
I don't feel I've 'cut my teeth' enough yet to ask questions directly of the great man himself.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Napalm Nick on May 16, 2015, 09:28:55 AM
so the naturally resulting question is will Beta 7 come with, or better still, be preceded by, a changelog so we can prepare?? 
Not sure how you could prepare, given that you'd need updated tools (e.g. tracktool) and these are likely to come with the new beta (or soon after).
But don't worry too much: if you're working on track for example, you can carry on on beta6, even after beta7 is out (there are  ways to have the two beta live together in peace).
Once the track is ready you can tackle the "porting" to beta7 (if anything needs to be done). Same if you're working on a bike.

I don't feel I've 'cut my teeth' enough yet to ask questions directly of the great man himself.
Only one way to remedy that :)

MaX.

Napalm Nick

Ok I wont worry too much  :-\. You are right - not a lot could be prepared even with a changelog, except mental acceptance of possible work to come!

Quote from: HornetMaX on May 16, 2015, 02:16:03 PM
MaX.

OK then here goes...........Max can you ask him/her? ha ha haaa

HornetMaX

Quote from: Napalm Nick on May 16, 2015, 02:30:03 PM
Ok I wont worry too much  :-\. You are right - not a lot could be prepared even with a changelog, except mental acceptance of possible work to come!

Quote from: HornetMaX on May 16, 2015, 02:16:03 PM

OK then here goes...........Max can you ask him/her? ha ha haaa
No I can't, I've lost all my teeth in previous  ... uh, conversations :)

MaX.

PeterV

Napalm Nick

Hahaha I like my teeth so I will settle with an answer to this from anyone at all, anyone.
Did we get change logs post the last Beta upgrades?

HornetMaX

Quote from: Napalm Nick on May 16, 2015, 02:58:18 PM
Hahaha I like my teeth so I will settle with an answer to this from anyone at all, anyone.
Did we get change logs post the last Beta upgrades?
Sometimes yes, sometimes not until the beta is released.

A long time ago there was also a dev blog, in which progress was broadcasted (a bit at least), but I think it's dead now.
MXB has a tumbler page(http://mxbikes.tumblr.com/), more for pics than for chnagelog/progress info.

MaX.

Napalm Nick

Thanks Max. By the way I really appreciate you taking time to answer and explain stuff
I am grateful to a lot of people here already.

I checked out the mxbikes link. Damn it (!) That's exactly what games in development need - regular snippets of information showing someone is actually giving some love to development. Surely that's not much to ask. I mean is there actually anything the community can do here to assist development? I feel I'm stuck hanging on every word with my thumb up my ass. :o

I changed the link to http://gpbikes.tumblr.com/ in some desperate hope of a surprise and all I got was a migraine.

I shall now get off the soapbox and return to eager watchfulness and concentrate on keeping the members happy with some more racing, while we wait.

Apologies sometimes passion boils over.   ;). Never a good forum trait.

Napalm Nick

Got really worried when I saw this page  ::)

http://www.piboso.com/

Then I realised the Bike pic is just 'missing'.

Thought I would be brave and bring this to your attention @PiBoSo  ;)

Thankee