• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:43:57 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Motion Simulator/ Controller Whishlist

Started by Gibbon, December 01, 2014, 12:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h106frp

May 22, 2015, 03:07:48 PM #30 Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 03:12:56 PM by h106frp
At the moment i'm driving with a joystick and its following the bike model steer and lean - this has been an important step in making it safe and getting the rig truly under control with the sims control deflection outputs (crashing the bike was way too dramatic at first and would probably have lead to real injuries, the added mini moto steering damper solved a lot of issues, cheap but wish it was adjustable though). Already lots of software and circuit board mods to get this far.

I just need to connect up my Bodnar board now for the brakes/throttle/buttons and steer inputs now. The original concept is to have torque steering, the steering stem is already instrumented and works as a transducer. This all means more circuit board building though for all the signal conditioning.

A lot of fun so far, just need to keep building!

Just realized if you watch with audio the 'squeaking' and 'clanking' noises are from the tap wrench handle im using as a (loose) clevis between the steer motor and bar stem rubbing on the frame (its temporary and will eventually be replaced with a taper pin). The bearing and controls are actually very smooth :-)

HornetMaX

Great stuff !!

I'd only advise to be sure to also have the option to use your steering in the "usual" way (i.e. target lean input). Just in case the torque steering proves to be a PITA :)

Question: right now you're redirecting the steering angle (GPB output) to your steering motor or are you using GPB FFB signal ?
You kinda already answered that (steering angle), just to be sure ...

MaX.

h106frp

At the moment its taking the steering angle to set the bar position, it is 'relatively' simple to swap this for bar torque for a simpler typical force feedback arrangement. I have wondered if you could 'mix' the 2 signals together (probably in my PC software host program) and have bar position with added 'force feedback'.

The raw signal from the feedback potentiometer used by the steering servo is already a suitable 0 to 5 volt signal that could be fed directly to the game steer input.

Posted this due to the comment that it would be nice if the Shark desktop controller (very nice implementation by the way) could also lean. Hopefully this video demonstrates that this can be accomplished relatively easily with an added 'roll' platform for the existing controller.

It might also be interesting to rotate the Shark controller( redesign the desk mount)  to place the bars into a more typical 'vertical steering angle rake' position rather than the current car steering wheel horizontal position. I think it might feel a bit more 'natural' in this orientation.

Napalm Nick

Awesome !!

keep going. Shark must lean too yes.

You don't get more realism than realistic injuries.

I have put a couple of £ on the donations chair.   8)
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

h106frp

Quote from: Napalm Nick on May 22, 2015, 04:54:42 PM
Awesome !!

keep going. Shark must lean too yes.

You don't get more realism than realistic injuries.

I have put a couple of £ on the donations chair.   8)

Had to raid the piggy bank for some bacon butty money this morning, hence the huge pile of coins in the background..  ;D

Hawk

Wow! Looks amazing mate.... Very nice indeed!!  ;D ;D 8) 8)

Hawk.

davidboda46

Looks amazing mate... makes me feel like I should rob a bank and get back to the drawing board for my rig :)

Cheers,

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46
"THE EDGE... THERE IS NO HONEST WAY TO EXPLAIN IT BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW WHERE IT IS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE GONE OVER"

HornetMaX

Quote from: h106frp on May 22, 2015, 04:52:07 PM
At the moment its taking the steering angle to set the bar position, it is 'relatively' simple to swap this for bar torque for a simpler typical force feedback arrangement. I have wondered if you could 'mix' the 2 signals together (probably in my PC software host program) and have bar position with added 'force feedback'.
Here's where the problems start likely. You have to decide what goes out from GPB and what goes into GPB.

The usual approach is: control device sends a position (angle) to the game, the game sends a FFB signal to the device.
The alternative approach is the dual: control device sending a torque signal to the game, the game sends a position (angle) to the device. This of course may only be suitable for DST and, at least on paper, should be the most accurate translation of the reality. For anything else than DST, the usual approach makes more sense.

MaX.

doubledragoncc

That is absolutely brilliant H. It looks so well made and with quality components. I think it must be the only system with FFB in any way and it looks like you have made a real breakthrough m8. Fantastic work.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Gibbon

MSovenok

Hi all,
I need to read out OS Q172HCPU motion controller old and install to new one,but i dont know how.Anybody can help me,please?
Or anybody have OS Q172HCPU motion controller SV13 S303210U can you share or sell it.I really need it
Thanks in advance.

JJS209

Napalm Nick

Crapola another Dorna rep  :o

Is that you JJ? Did you buy it at last?
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Vini

Does that thing have the proper steering axis?

Hawk

Is he riding it or making love to it! Hehe!  ;D

Bring back "Old School"... So much more civilized.  :P  ;D

Hawk.