• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Anyone modified the 360 controller triggers?

Started by h106frp, June 13, 2015, 09:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h106frp

June 16, 2015, 10:43:46 AM #45 Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 11:02:58 AM by h106frp
The big, and not so obvious advantage with EDTracker is user comfort, 3DOF and no camera removes the conscious effort and unnatural head pose required when using IR tracking. Tried IR several times with various head clip designs, even tried face (shape) tracking but found them all (physically) unpleasant to use after quite a short period.

With the inertial system you can look around the room at stuff (TV, missus, dog, cat, beer etc) without the tracking losing lock and when you look back to the game the tracking resumes with no glitches  8), Wear and forget!

HornetMaX

Quote from: h106frp on June 16, 2015, 10:43:46 AM
With the inertial system you can look around the room at stuff (TV, missus, dog, cat, beer etc) without the tracking losing lock and when you look back to the game the tracking resumes with no glitches  8), Wear and forget!
Wear ? You can get one implanted in your head ! :)

MaX.

h106frp

Quote from: HornetMaX on June 16, 2015, 10:45:49 AM
Quote from: h106frp on June 16, 2015, 10:43:46 AM
Wear ? You can get one implanted in your head ! :)

MaX.

In a future coming to you soon.........     very possibly ;)

h106frp

Quote from: Klax75 on June 16, 2015, 12:59:48 AM
But all the buttons on the back can they be used as NEW buttons. I've used controllers like this and they have always been just alternate buttons for what you have already. Just hitting them on a different spot on the control. Now if it was four totally new trigger/button axis for me it would be useful.

If you add the Bodnar BU0836A-NC board to your set up you could add ;
Inputs
- 8 analog inputs with 12-bit (4096 steps) resolution each
- 32 button / 16 rotary encoder inputs
- 8-way "point-of-view" hat switch input

to a stock controller.

How about 8 of these low profile analogue thumb sticks, you could stick them on with double sided tape  ;D;
You could do 4 on the inside of the pad 'horns' with your lower fingers which are spare at the moment  :)

Plenty of space around a std controller for addition, especially on the base. Think you would run out of fingers before inputs.

You have got me thinking a rocking paddle shift (like a steering wheel one) could easily be made to stick on the back of the 360 and wired instead of the corner buttons, i think this would be much easier to operate for gears without accidentally pulling on the triggers at the same time.

I reckon a couple of bits of PCB board, 2 old motherboard standoffs, 2 PCB tactile switches and a spring and you would be done.

Mmmmmmm..........   8)

HornetMaX

Quote from: h106frp on June 16, 2015, 01:31:19 PM
Plenty of space around a std controller for addition, especially on the base. Think you would run out of fingers before inputs.
If you want an analog stick/trigger it's because you want finesse: if you put the stick/trigger in an awkward position it won't be useful.
That's why current joypad have "only" 2 sticks and 2 triggers. More than that it becomes difficult to find something actually usable.
Technically it's not a problem to put plenty more on a pad.

Quote from: h106frp on June 16, 2015, 01:31:19 PM
You have got me thinking a rocking paddle shift (like a steering wheel one) could easily be made to stick on the back of the 360 and wired instead of the corner buttons, i think this would be much easier to operate for gears without accidentally pulling on the triggers at the same time.
I'm starting thinking you hold your pad in a weird manner: "accidentally pulling triggers while operating gears" never happens, because you have your index fingers on the shoulder buttons (for gears) and your middle fingers on the triggers (typically for throttle and brake). Are you trying to use only index fingers to do both throttle/brake and shift up/down ?

MaX.

h106frp

No i use the standard number of fumble fingers / control  ;D

I think i am not really a standard control pad person, never owned a console and i have always been awful with play station pads.  :-[

Lethal with keyboard and mouse though  ;)

Weird really because i play guitar so have precision spider fingers when i am doing that, just weird  :o

h106frp

Well, as the cheapo 360 controller will be retired for a shiny new GPX one with decent analogue sticks i may as well have some fun with it before it ends up in the attic ;D

Ordered a couple of linear pots to try on the triggers - very cheap, just out of curiosity

and lets try shift paddles!  ;D

Its just going to be glued to the bottom of the controller so i don't need to worry about screws shorting anything out. Actually seems to put the gear shift controls in a very comfy position and seems to work amazingly well for something made out of my bits box, nice and clicky. Maybe MS are on to something  :o

Total cost £1.36 for the 2 tactile switches because i did not have any to hand  :(
Parts list  ::)

1 piece of scrap ally plate
2 screws
1 spring (cut)
1 icicle stick
1 old ram heat sink for base
2 switches
1 veroboard offcut

Will wire it up along with the new pots when they arrive  ;D

Napalm Nick

I really love this experimental give it a go stuff. Enjoyable following.

Bravo sir.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

BOBR6 84

Quote from: Napalm Nick on June 16, 2015, 09:58:31 PM
I really love this experimental give it a go stuff. Enjoyable following.

Bravo sir.

+1  ;D

That paddle looks loads better than the poxy microsoft nail files... Good stuff  ;)

HornetMaX

Nice !

Quote from: h106frp on June 16, 2015, 09:54:43 PM
Actually seems to put the gear shift controls in a very comfy position and seems to work amazingly well for something made out of my bits box, nice and clicky. Maybe MS are on to something  :o
More than maybe, but they are for sure not the ones that invented that wheel. Buttons put there are comfy for sure.

MaX.

h106frp

One thing i immediately noticed was that it is nice to have the paddle well back from the controller grips so that you can still grip the controller is the usual comfortable way. Looks a bit odd but seems right in the hand  ::)

The ones on the elite controller appear to be quite easy to activate by accident unless they are very stiff triggers.

Might well develop this into something prettier for the new controller as i have never got on well with the shoulder buttons on any controller so generally wasted.

@MaX, r.e. holding the controller weird.. holding my hands in a natural, comfortable position it seems that for me the shoulder buttons would need to be moved down, back and inboard about 20mm in each redirection to fall in a natural location (for digit 3) if using the triggers(digit 2) at the same time. Guess they have to design these things for everyone, male/female from age 5 and up so the compromise dimensions will not suit everyone  :(

Klax75

Quote from: h106frp on June 17, 2015, 07:13:06 AM
One thing i immediately noticed was that it is nice to have the paddle well back from the controller grips so that you can still grip the controller is the usual comfortable way. Looks a bit odd but seems right in the hand  ::)

The ones on the elite controller appear to be quite easy to activate by accident unless they are very stiff triggers.

Might well develop this into something prettier for the new controller as i have never got on well with the shoulder buttons on any controller so generally wasted.

@MaX, r.e. holding the controller weird.. holding my hands in a natural, comfortable position it seems that for me the shoulder buttons would need to be moved down, back and inboard about 20mm in each redirection to fall in a natural location (for digit 3) if using the triggers(digit 2) at the same time. Guess they have to design these things for everyone, male/female from age 5 and up so the compromise dimensions will not suit everyone  :(

I'm 3'3", needless to say I have small hands. lol I can hold the controller fine with both thumbs and pointers and middle fingers.

h106frp

Think my problem is i have big wide hands and stumpy fingers  ;)

h106frp

June 18, 2015, 04:46:53 PM #58 Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 06:36:05 AM by h106frp
Just to close this one down...

The linear pots turned up, wrong pattern to fit the controller board :(

As the controller is going in the parts box - its generally too crap to bother fixing up - i thought i would pull one of the pots to have a proper measure.

They are a special short resistive track design - no resistance change for most of the rotation then the full 0-10kohm in about 10 degrees

Problem is that from the start angle of the pot half the travel was traversing the area with no resistance change then just a bit of the resistive area - very bad - the actuator arm is fixed in position due to the pot shaft drive lug alignment so no easy fix anyway.

Mystery solved - just a very poor design - file under b1n  ;)

I will move my flappy paddle experiments to the Bodnar board  :)

edit:
Link to a bit more detailed info on the MS elite controller, seems pretty clever but pricey
http://gizmodo.com/so-this-is-what-a-150-xbox-controller-feels-like-1712318136