• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:25:22 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Rumble in MaxHUD - discussion

Started by HornetMaX, July 20, 2015, 12:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

yeah maybe. But if shift rumble is a tiny advantage, slide rumble would be a giant one. Not even close.

Anyway, let's see what people think about the current rumble. I'll ponder on how to improve it or change into slide rumble.

MaX.

h106frp

July 20, 2015, 07:06:24 PM #16 Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 06:47:46 AM by h106frp
Always wanted to start a poll  ;)  so i did.

Set one up to get a feel for rumble availability especially with regard to whether it could be a racing advantage. If most have available rumble already then it is just a matter of personal preferences.

Your vote counts! ......... well its quite interesting anyway  ;) - please add to the poll

BOBR6 84

When hard on the brakes I would like a ''thud'' when the rear tyre lands after some lift and some light vibration when the rear is snaking around..
:)
Thats all really.. Great work!

h106frp

Seems to more to the rumble than it seems at first;

Been using it all weekend, mainly with the 990 on default garage settings and really enjoyed using the rumble with a very low filter value and high acceleration sensitivity.
Very rumbly  8) ;D but i developed a suspicion that some of it was drive and suspension generated vibration.

So having tried a few laps with softest spring setting (near default value) and then max spring rate and then fiddling with the rebound/damping a bit (no expert, just twiddling) quite surprised how much the rumble levels reduced and the bike behaved better under hard acceleration and cornering. Tried on all the tracks i had used over the weekend.

So it does seem that set up changes do reflect in the rumble output :) Quite surprised at the effect of the spring rate, it seems a lot of the vibrations were due to overly soft suspension and chatter and not so much track surface. Surprised (pleasantly) by the effect of the high rate spring with the 990  8)

Really needs someone more experienced with garage settings and more consistent lapping but definitely the rumble is adding bike handling information just need to get used to the interpretation.

SKD

Great news, that you released the rumble feature! Can't wait to get home from work today and give it a try! ;)

Boerenlater

I appreciate your work but I don't like the shifting rumble.
A rumble on the curbstones would be great.
I stopped gaming (and GP-Bikes)

HornetMaX

Quote from: Boerenlater on July 21, 2015, 08:49:50 AM
I appreciate your work but I don't like the shifting rumble.
That's why it's optional (and tunable)  :D

Quote from: Boerenlater on July 21, 2015, 08:49:50 AM
A rumble on the curbstones would be great.
Curbs in GPB are modeled as flat most of the time, so it can't rumble. I suspect that's because if you model them as they should (i.e. not flat), they turn out to be totally unusable.

MaX.

h106frp

Try shift period on minimum period feels a lot 'sharper', then lower the amplitude to taste.

Kerbs are hit and miss, some have a bit of rumble other do not even on the same track, try mallory, exit from gerrards seems to generate a bit of kerb rumble. From my recent testing i suspect even a very small (tiny) ripple on the kerbs would be enough for a noticeable rumble.

As the kerbs can already generate a sound prompt it would be nice if this could be flagged to the plug in interface.

HornetMaX

Quote from: h106frp on July 21, 2015, 09:31:12 AM
As the kerbs can already generate a sound prompt it would be nice if this could be flagged to the plug in interface.
Easier than that: GPB could generate rumble without my plugin. For sure it would be able to do a better job as it has more relevant data to work with (e.g. surface under the wheels, kerbs, sand, grass, ...). And signal processing aside, the code to generate the ruble is really a few lines.

For example, if it was decided that it's OK to have rumble signalling slide conditions (which is debatable), GPB has all the necessary data at hand (wheel longitudinal slip and lateral slip angle).

What is still unclear to me is what do we want: do we want the rumble to go ON when the bike vibrates or when the tyres are sliding ? Having both may make little sense.

MaX.

JJS209

i understand you max.

in my personal opinion it would be optimal to have rumbling when:
- you go over some curbs
- when the frontwheel retouches the surface after being in the air (wheelie)
- when you have the "kickback" on the front
- maybe a really little bit of "background vibrations" when you leave the normal TRKASPH_ parts and/or go over TRKGRAS_
- an option to add effects like motorvibrations with a variable strenght
- another options that includes the strenght of the vibrations when the suspension works/is moving/shaking also with a some setup variables for the behave of it

HornetMaX

But all these:

Quote from: JJS209 on July 21, 2015, 10:26:18 AM
- you go over some curbs
- when the frontwheel retouches the surface after being in the air (wheelie)
- when you have the "kickback" on the front
- maybe a really little bit of "background vibrations" when you leave the normal TRKASPH_ parts and/or go over TRKGRAS_
- another options that includes the strenght of the vibrations when the suspension works/is moving/shaking also with a some setup variables for the behave of it

are already there: when they happen, the bike chassis will "vibrate" and the pad will rumble.

The vibration depending on RPMs is trivial (I could use the right rumble motor, currently unused: it has a lighter vibration), but it becomes boring quickly and I'm not sure if having it constantly on is a good thing for the motors of the pad.

MaX.

JJS209

i think the more options and variables we have in the settings the better it is.
if you can individualy set the rumblefeature up for your personal best the more people could use it in their own way.
maybe its a little bit confusion when there are a lot of options but more options = better personal feeling for each rider and his hardwareconfig

HornetMaX

Quote from: JJS209 on July 21, 2015, 10:40:34 AM
i think the more options and variables we have in the settings the better it is.
Not going to happen: for any software the amount of options must make sense.

3 things I see up to now: gear shift rumble, bike vibration rumble and slide rumble (this last TBC). Each can have some options (e.g. thresholds and strength) but it has to stay simple and understandable.

MaX.

Ian

Can it be linked to front brake lever travel or pressure.It could start to rumble when your at 95% brake effort act as a warning.

HornetMaX

I was unconvinced by the current rumble implementation so I gave a try at what I thought first (using acceleration X / Y / Z to drive the rumble): it is so much better that I don't even need to have an additional (fake) rumble when shifting gears. When you shift, the shifting shakes the bike and that is visible in the filtered acceleration signal. I like it much more than the previous one.

Most likely I'll put the accel based rumble in, in place of the velocity based and gear shift based one.

Pondering if doing light rumble on brakes.

MaX.