• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:51:46 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Needed: "BikeMOD" Database Administrator.....

Started by Hawk, September 01, 2015, 12:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

Hi guys.

As you all probably know by now, Klax75 is standing down as the "BikeMOD Database Administrator", so we need someone else to take over from Klax as the new "BikeMOD Database Administrator".

You will be responsible for collating and keeping the BikMOD, helmet, leathers, and bike skin databases regularly up to date and ideally co-ordinating with said authors and established event server hosts to make sure you and they have the latest same versions inside both database and host servers to avoid the dreaded "Data Mismatch" error message when attempting online event server connection.

The above description is just a guide to what will be needed to keep things running smoothly, but how you finally organise it is frankly up to whoever takes on this valued and much appreciated task for the community.

If anyone is interested then make yourself known by posting here in this thread.

Much appreciated and thank you!  ;) 8)

Hawk.

Napalm Nick

Is it the same Pay, Pension and Dental Plan as your TrackMod admin role?
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Hawk

Quote from: Napalm Nick on September 01, 2015, 12:44:32 PM
Is it the same Pay, Pension and Dental Plan as your TrackMod admin role?

Oh! Absolutely. Can't you tell how wealthy I am!? Hehe  ;D

Hawk.

Furious

You know what? Why can't we ask RAce department support for GP Bikes category and maintain moded content there? Every creator takes responsibility of his own work, everything is categorized. Also it's a portal with a name to it, so it will also provide some kind of advertisment. I think it's worth a try.

Napalm Nick

Sounds good but I know little about how it works there. I guess the question might be "will it be as/more easy/controllable/accessible?" as the setup we have here.  I know not.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Hawk

Quote from: Furious on September 01, 2015, 12:51:19 PM
You know what? Why can't we ask RAce department support for GP Bikes category and maintain moded content there? Every creator takes responsibility of his own work, everything is categorized. Also it's a portal with a name to it, so it will also provide some kind of advertisment. I think it's worth a try.

Nice idea in theory Furious.  ;)

At a guess the Race Department wouldn't allow ripped content to be put on their system(of which there is a lot in GPB Mods, particularly bikes and helmets, a few tracks too, although I also know there are a few who have created bikes and tracks from scratch too.). This could be a problem operating from Race Department facilities.

Personally I think we need someone to keep things organised and more importantly co-ordinated. But it's up to the community and what they want not me.  :)

Hawk.

tseklias

Hmm i'm thinking of it.... even i believe it's better one person to have both tracks and bikes but that's probably a lot of work...

Let's wait a couple of dates and if no other candidate appears...

Hawk

Quote from: tseklias on September 01, 2015, 10:23:40 PM
Hmm i'm thinking of it.... even i believe it's better one person to have both tracks and bikes but that's probably a lot of work...

Let's wait a couple of dates and if no other candidate appears...

Thank you for that tseklias, much appreciated mate. But someone has already come forward to do the task. An announcement will be made soon. Thank you.  ;) 8)

Hawk.

Hawk

I'm very pleased to announce that our new "BikeMOD Database Administrator" is, matty0l215;D

Matty has been an active member of the forum and online race events for a long time now and many of you will recognise him as the prolific bike skin creator who's always been very willing to  create bike skins for those that need them. I believe he has also created skins for the WRS community too, and also manages the GPB Owners club event rider/helmet and bike skin packs, so I'm sure Matty will be able to handle the organisation and co-ordination of the BikeMOD Database very well indeed.

Keeping the BikeMOD Database organised and co-ordinated is a lot more work than most realise, so I'd just like to say a BIG thank you to Matty for coming forward and volunteering his time to take on this task for the benefit of everyone in the Community, and I'm sure he'll do a great job.

The new BikeMOD Database will be announced and published as soon as possible, but Matty is currently getting everything sorted out and organised for him to be able to operate and update the Database as well as organising the new BikeMOD forum notification thread, so please be patient with him while he gets things organised and settles into his new role. Thank you.  ;)

Hawk.

Napalm Nick

Matty, Matty , Matty, Matty!

Thanks Lovebrush, really appreciated.

Do you have plans to also just have the Mega and Sync options now the Track Dropbox database is gone?  IMO this would make it easier for you . 3 versions of the same Database is asking for trouble as already proven. Don't know how others feel about this of course. It would be nice to get the servers back to being able to be used in OPEN mode again (with all players able to get on) without the constant Data Mismatch between DB and Mega.

Cheers mate, I will keep my big nose out now, just saying as a Server admin. If you need help with anything just name it.

Blackheart

HornetMaX

Glad to hear that.

If I can give Matty an advice, it would be the following: it is fairly likely that future betas will request updates to all our modded bikes. It would be a huge chance to establish some sort of convention in the naming of the mod bikes. Actually, even if there are no changes to be done, it would be good to have that in place.

Simple example: <category>-<maker>-<model>-<year>, like in SSP-Yamaha-R6-2015. It would be nice if that (or something similar) convention was followed by all the modders.

As admin of the bikemod, you may have some power to push the unwilling modders to comply to that.

Good luck man !

MaX.

davidboda46

"THE EDGE... THERE IS NO HONEST WAY TO EXPLAIN IT BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW WHERE IT IS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE GONE OVER"

JamoZ

Quote from: HornetMaX on September 02, 2015, 11:26:29 AM
Glad to hear that.

If I can give Matty an advice, it would be the following: it is fairly likely that future betas will request updates to all our modded bikes. It would be a huge chance to establish some sort of convention in the naming of the mod bikes. Actually, even if there are no changes to be done, it would be good to have that in place.

Simple example: <category>-<maker>-<model>-<year>, like in SSP-Yamaha-R6-2015. It would be nice if that (or something similar) convention was followed by all the modders.

As admin of the bikemod, you may have some power to push the unwilling modders to comply to that.

Good luck man !

MaX.

I`ve been saying this ever since i was still doing this, but people never seemed to give a shit...

Also, for the love of god. Start making the folder structere EXACTLY the same as the ones in the GP bikes folder, so it`s just a matter of drag and drop. I did this and i don`t know why and how it got turned around so that i have to dig into 3 folders to extract a bike. Same goes for the paints. A good folder structure is key here.

Good luck bro, you`ll need it  ;D

matty0l215

For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE