• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:51:08 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Gpbikes videos ;)

Started by BOBR6 84, May 09, 2014, 11:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk UK on October 06, 2015, 12:07:29 PM
Well honestly I have not tried DSA as yet... I will have to give that a go, but for sure the above problem is still in DST because that's why I ditched my DST training with Klax. For me there was no point in racing with DST if when you fall it takes several attempts to get started again....
Oh, I thought you were all for "you fall, you're out" approach  ;D

MaX.

Marcel

90 degrees is the lowest setting i can use with the fanatec wheel, until now i couldn´t find where to set it even lower. but after a couple of laps i got used to steering more than with a real bike. It would be very hard with 1to1 steering ratio because every bump comes trough the feedback to the wheel and turns it and the tracks have not that much polygons i think and aren´t very smooth. so its good that its not too direct i think. You get a very good feeling, have to steer, countersteer and compensate for acceleration and braking like on a real bike. Also you can´t get that much resistance feedback like on a real bike. when you are in a really fast 200kmh+ corner and try to straighten the bike you need a lot of force to steer into to corner to streighten the bike, that much you only get with an expensive direct drive wheel i think. first time i really enjoyed playing a bike racing game because everything else than correct steering is nonsense for me. hope some smoother tracks will come and a more precise feedback with less bump feedback. also i need mor buttons because auto lean sadly doesn´t work when using direct steer. would be good if it does, because corner speed is reduced when you can´t lean and on the streights the motogp bike does wheelies even in 5th gear. I will practice some more with the Honda MotoGP Bike at Mugello which was a lot of fun and try to do a better Video.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Marcel on October 06, 2015, 12:50:28 PM
90 degrees is the lowest setting i can use with the fanatec wheel, until now i couldn´t find where to set it even lower.
Not sure you can. But if you set "directsteer_maxangle=90" (same value as your wheel's max rotation) in your profile.ini, then you should end up having 1:1 ratio.

It would be very hard with 1to1 steering ratio because every bump comes trough the feedback to the wheel and turns it and the tracks have not that much polygons i think and aren´t very smooth.
That's interesting: I've always thought that the time evolution of the steering angle is a bit too shaky/noisy in GPB ...

also i need mor buttons because auto lean sadly doesn´t work when using direct steer. would be good if it does
Not sure it could be done in a proper manner: the steering input (the target steering angle) can't be used to deduce the rider lean left/right 9as it usually done without DST/DSA, where the "steering" input is in fact the target lean angle). Potentially one could make it depend on the bike's lean angle (the more the bike is leaning, the more the rider will lean), but even that may not be very good.

In principle, if "auto rider lean" is not available in GPB with DST/DSA, it is possible to create an input plugin that does that for you, but that would require some work and the end result may be crappy anyway :)

MaX.

teeds

Quote from: Marcel on October 05, 2015, 03:34:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZNBM9BxDho&feature=youtu.be

Good to see this. It does look weird in use, is it any different using it with more of a horizontal rotation?

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on October 06, 2015, 12:37:52 PM
Quote from: Hawk UK on October 06, 2015, 12:07:29 PM
Well honestly I have not tried DSA as yet... I will have to give that a go, but for sure the above problem is still in DST because that's why I ditched my DST training with Klax. For me there was no point in racing with DST if when you fall it takes several attempts to get started again....
Oh, I thought you were all for "you fall, you're out" approach  ;D

MaX.

Hahaha!!  ;D

Only if it applies to everyone else too, Lol  :P ;D

Hawk.

BOBR6 84

i would love to see a handlebar controller which tilts left/right to represent the lean angle.. and turns left/right with FFB for counter steering..

Napalm Nick

indeed that is what I want to see too.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

HornetMaX

Quote from: BOBR6 84 on October 06, 2015, 04:02:22 PM
i would love to see a handlebar controller which tilts left/right to represent the lean angle.. and turns left/right with FFB for counter steering..
You don't mean two separate inputs (one for bike lean, one for steering), right ?

MaX.

BOBR6 84

October 06, 2015, 06:25:52 PM #488 Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 06:30:47 PM by BOBR6 84
id just like a controller to have those movements.. i guess it would all be controlled with the counter steering like in Marcel's video but with the right movements from the handlebars.. so if i push the right bar away from me, the bike/bars will start to lean to the right.

i find it very confusing how it all works in GPB lol.

Vini

if the handlebar rotated, it would be ok IMO

then it's like on a real bike, countersteer a little, the bike leans and stays at that angle without additional input

Marcel

I´ve testet 90 degrees in the profile.ini but as excpected it is way too direct. Feedback in the middle is extremly nervous especially on bumps, it gets impossible to drive straight. I reduced again to 40 which feels good and smooth enaugh in corners. It always shakes as hell on the main straight so i have to reduce speed, but not that big problem because it´s the corner where the fun is :-D. But would be nice if everything could be smoother espacially with those bumps. Fells like it´s an effect like with Car Simulations when you go over curbs or bumps that it shakes your wheel left and right to give you some rumble feedback. But it´s not realistic and distortes the importend ffb effects. And if you setup the degrees that low for a really direct feel it gets more and more annoying because it affects your steering input a lot. Would love a Laserscanned track like in Assetto Corsa with really smooth surface, that would improve the whole feeling a lot i think.

I have the quick release hub for Fanatec wheelbase and plan to make a "rim" for it with real handlebars, brake, clutch and some buttons. But that needs a lot of time and i have to read first what controller and potentiometer i need to attach them to the real handlebar.

I recognized after driving a lot that i lean automaticly in my seat how i´m used to in real life. Now i saw a new video from BiPoSo showing Oculus Rift Support and it would be perfect if the headposition affect ingame leaning. Would be most natural to use and i hope that supports comes soon to the beta because i own a DK2.

Marcel

Quote from: vin97 on October 06, 2015, 06:39:24 PM
if the handlebar rotated, it would be ok IMO

then it's like on a real bike, countersteer a little, the bike leans and stays at that angle without additional input

thats how it is in my video, position of the handlebar to my torso and arms is also suprisingly natural but of course i sit in a chair and look too the bottom if you look at it like a bike seating position.

Vini

i meant that the handlebar rotates with bike lean angle via an additional motor.
this motor can also create the necessary resistance for the countersteering to feel 'real'.

Marcel

Quote from: vin97 on October 06, 2015, 07:08:33 PM
i meant that the handlebar rotates with bike lean angle via an additional motor.
this motor can also create the necessary resistance for the countersteering to feel 'real'.

but that would only make sense if you would be rotating with the handblebar, would be very odd if you sit in place whel you steer and the handlebar rotates around a horizontal axis in addition. You have to sit on something like a simplyfied bike, steer with directsteer like in real life and the sim sends data to an additional motor that adds leaning angle to the hole thing you sit on. but this would also be strange because you have no gforces that push you into the seat so for me it´s enaugh if i have the right seating position and a good inbut and feedback in my steering without any additional rotation of the hole thing or the complete handlebar, would be too much.

HornetMaX

@BOBR6, vin97: (deja vu feeling here) you can't have two independent inputs: on a real bike there's only one input (steering torque). In GPB there's only one input: either the target lean angle (usual way), or the steering angle (DSA) or the steering torque (DST). You can't have, for example, a steering angle and a target lean angle. At best you could have a steering angle (input) and then the whole device could tilt left/right to reflect the bike's lean, but that would not be an input, you wouldn't be bale to tilt it by yourselft left/right and see an effect in GPB.

Quote from: Marcel on October 06, 2015, 06:47:07 PM
I´ve testet 90 degrees in the profile.ini but as excpected it is way too direct.  Feedback in the middle is extremly nervous especially on bumps, it gets impossible to drive straight
Maybe you can change the linearity to give less sensitivity around the middle. Just an idea though.
To me it shouldn't be that shaky on straights, maybe there's a problem in GPB somewhere (and maybe beta7 will improve that).

Would love a Laserscanned track like in Assetto Corsa with really smooth surface, that would improve the whole feeling a lot i think.
I doubt the problem comes from the track surface not being smooth enough, especially on straights.
At any rate, a laser scan won't help a lot: you still have to reduce it to a manageable number of polygons, so ...
If anything, a well detailed track obtained from a precise laser scan may be less smooth than a manually modelled track.

I have the quick release hub for Fanatec wheelbase and plan to make a "rim" for it with real handlebars, brake, clutch and some buttons. But that needs a lot of time and i have to read first what controller and potentiometer i need to attach them to the real handlebar.
Leo Bodnar BU0836A: USB Joystick + buttons interface (8 analog axes, 12 buttons). Seems to work just fine.
You can find some useful threads in the Custom Hardware section of the forum: we do have 2 or 3 DIY guys here :)

MaX.