• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Custom controller update (and possible inspiration for others with little money)

Started by davidboda46, October 21, 2015, 01:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidboda46

My original post: http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=1544.0 I know it's far from DD:s solution (and others I've seen) when it comes to build quality. That said, the whole thing is constructed out of old parts and all of it set me back around 20-30 dollars (not counting the G27 pedals of course).

CAM00461 by David, on Flickr

CAM00462 by David, on Flickr

The board is from a Logitech Wingman Dual Action Gamepad.

CAM00463 by David, on Flickr

The bottom stick I use for rider lean F/B/L/R.

CAM00464 by David, on Flickr

The upper stick I use for clutch (upwards) and rest for view L/R/B (I always ride in Helmet view).

CAM00466 by David, on Flickr

The cord (one on each side) acts as steering lock so I don't over rotate. The steering range is calibrated in the game to 22-24 to achieve maximum steering lock in game with the shorter IRL rotation range. 

CAM00458 by David, on Flickr

The steering is reversed (to simulate counter steering). So to go left I turn right and vice versa. The FF is turned on (otherwise the steering is too light) but it's turned off in the game settings (if on, even at only 25% the rumble shakes the wheel too much upsets the bikes behavior making it very hard to control). The wheel is originally a Microsoft Sidewinder FF USB wheel that I've turned around (so the angle is more similar to a bike handle bar than a car steering wheel), and made a custom mounting for it. I use Logitech G27 pedals for gear shifting (left and middle paddle - calibrated in-game so the range is reduced, meaning you only have to nudge them to switch gears, not press them all the way down) and the right one for the rear brake (full range on pedal).       

CAM00468 by David, on Flickr
The pots (for front brake and throttle (not visable) are the original once from the Sidewinder steering wheel pedals (not super exact but good enough for the time being).

CAM00455 by David, on Flickr

The front brake mount is a hack of one of the old SW pedals. The brake lever is from a bicycle, so is the actual handle bar. The throttle is from a moped, the throttle housing is from the base of an old Logitech Wingman Steering wheel (the neck part that sits under the actual wheel).   

Cheers,

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46
"THE EDGE... THERE IS NO HONEST WAY TO EXPLAIN IT BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW WHERE IT IS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE GONE OVER"

Napalm Nick

8) Awesome! love this kind of "home build" especially when it works! I assume there isn't more than 5V flying around that outfit or you have it on a thick rubber mat lol.

Seriously, Great job  :)
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

davidboda46

Quote from: Napalm Nick on October 21, 2015, 01:33:01 PM
8) Awesome! love this kind of "home build" especially when it works! I assume there isn't more than 5V flying around that outfit or you have it on a thick rubber mat lol.

Seriously, Great job  :)

Thanks, and it hasn't killed me yet, knock on wood  ;)
"THE EDGE... THERE IS NO HONEST WAY TO EXPLAIN IT BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW WHERE IT IS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE GONE OVER"

Razor

hey a absolutely great job. I have been using the move wheel in p3 motorcycle position for a while. It works great. Even handle bar moves like real life throttle. You must lean when the bar is stabilized. If it can be adapted for the PC it would solve most the problems

doubledragoncc

David it is all is al about trying, my actual family moto on the crest is "To Try Is Enough" and it is true, your system is brilliant in its concept and the way you have adapted what you have to make it work.

Not everyone has a 3D printer or knowledge to use it (I only have 7 months knowledge now lol) but it really helps. If I can help in any way just ask. We are talking pennies and postage if you need help.

I also have the contacts to the parts so willing to help that way too.

Keep up the great work, it is so much better than a toy gamepad!!!

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Stout Johnson

Hey guys,
I think I remember that some time ago someone posted a link to a working motorcycle controller. The one I mean is pretty similar to this one from Shark, but it was a finished retail product as far as I remember, not a prototype like the one from Shark? Does anyone know? 
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------