• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:55:14 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Anyone have an Occulus?

Started by G0G, October 07, 2015, 07:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

The only rider, apart from team Piboso, I know has got an Occulus Rift is Klax75.

Hawk.

Furious

I will buy Oculus when it comes out. Had it for a day when my pal borrowed it to me.

Jokerman

I am seriously considering it also when it eventually comes out.

The video from PiBoSo using the dev 0R version is pretty nice ....I can see it working really well on bikes for sure ...[integrated into a helmet  .... hmmm!!!]

Does GP Bikes support the head tracking functionality and to what extent. I've not explored this enough yet but in PiBoSO's video, on his exit from the pits, I though I could see him check right .... was this the rift or his controller?

It is interesting that this VR headset has captured the markets attention .... every previous version never really passed the proof of concept stages .... [perhaps because of the lack of hardware capable to run it usefully].

I've lost count how many times I've become so immersed in a sim that I forget the borders of the screen anyway.

Hawk

The only thing I'd be worried about with using Occulus Rift with GPBikes is that surely when and if you look away from your central position(say look 90 deg left) as your entering a corner, because you cannot feel were your bike is underneath you, then you will loose that sense of direction as your turning in a corner? Maybe a question Klax could answer?

Hawk.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Jokerman on October 08, 2015, 11:45:35 AM
Does GP Bikes support the head tracking functionality and to what extent.
Yes it does. For the rift it will in beta7 (don't see how the rift could work without head tracking) but you can have it even without the rift (and in beta6) using a FreeTrack compatible head tracker.
Some here (including me) have an EDTracker (http://www.edtracker.org.uk/index.php) + OpenTrack (https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack) and they work almost perfectly.

EDTracker can be seen by Win as an HID device (a "joystick") and GPB can use it straight away, with no need for OpenTrack. But using OpenTrack (emulating FreeTrack) makes the whole thing more configurable.

Quote from: Hawk UK on October 08, 2015, 12:28:04 PM
The only thing I'd be worried about with using Occulus Rift with GPBikes is that surely when and if you look away from your central position(say look 90 deg left) as your entering a corner, because you cannot feel were your bike is underneath you, then you will loose that sense of direction as your turning in a corner?
Shouldn't be any worse than what you have today with a fixed screen and corner anticipation. No reason to worry.

MaX.

Jokerman

The only thing I'd be worried about with using Occulus Rift with GPBikes is that surely when and if you look away from your central position(say look 90 deg left) as your entering a corner, because you cannot feel were your bike is underneath you, then you will loose that sense of direction as your turning in a corner? Maybe a question Klax could answer?

Hawk.

I'd agree with Max here .... assuming you've not spotted some sun-bathing, bikini optional, hair colour of choice, curves in all the right [and wrong] places   chick beside the stands and find yourself have an extended gawk   :P.... you won't even notice a 90 degree check look  ... in-fact, it'll likely enhance you sense of immersion!

The above statement is dependant on and assumes a good level of comfort and skills with using your controller of choice. For example, using an Xbox controller, I don't need to look away to have a spill because my control is all over the place . ;D

G0G

You're right: It is very hard to orientate oneself back to center after looking deeply into a corner(physically).
Best example I've experienced was with my homemade setup.. As you can see, I get lost and cant tell where i am looking.. many times.

https://youtu.be/N64D2u8wF0k

I STILL want physical/manual looking.. after many years, I STILL want to look into apexes. Of course, this HMD only pivots one axis. leaning off bike AND pivoting is where its at.

Hawk

Quote from: Jokerman on October 08, 2015, 01:34:47 PM

Hawk.

I'd agree with Max here .... assuming you've not spotted some sun-bathing, bikini optional, hair colour of choice, curves in all the right [and wrong] places   chick beside the stands and find yourself have an extended gawk   :P.... you won't even notice a 90 degree check look  ... in-fact, it'll likely enhance you sense of immersion!

The above statement is dependant on and assumes a good level of comfort and skills with using your controller of choice. For example, using an Xbox controller, I don't need to look away to have a spill because my control is all over the place . ;D

Well I'm sure Occulus Rift will improve the immersion factor, totally agree with you on that point, but I'm still not sure that when you get to a corner like a tight hairpin and look around for the exit as your turning, you will definitely loose view of your bike, and as I said before, because you cannot feel with your ass were your bike is beneath you and what it's doing I'm still not convinced that you will not loose your bearings and end up crashing, or when you look back to centre your bike is not were you thought it would be which would then obviously slow you down to correct your line around the corner(that's if you didn't end up crashing. Lol)?

Maybe it's something that with time and practice you could develop a second control sense for? Though I'm yet to be convinced until someone shows me that it can be done and at competitive speeds.  :)

Hawk.
PS: GOG's video in his post above shows the difficulties involved with looking away and the bike going out of view. Imagine doing that on a corner and trying to keep a sense of were your bike is.  ;)

G0G

QuoteHawk.
PS: GOG's video in his post above shows the difficulties involved with looking away and the bike going out of view. Imagine doing that on a corner and trying to keep a sense of were your bike is.

I think this 'drift' would be greatly mitigated if one could see the bike and one's arms in the virtual render.

h106frp

I have used the inertial EDtracker a lot and have found no issues with cornering, it actually gets easier the more you forget you are using it and you sort of get a feel for the track surface movement as a guide. I find it easier than the forced 'look to corner' mode.

EDtracker is only 3DOF and its easy to bias the view slightly to keep the top of the screen in view as an assist, i can imagine full 6DOF being much more difficult especially with the problems associated with optical tracking methods.

G0G

https://youtu.be/PDb2zoxSZoQ

"First, let's talk about the setup. I was riding Activetainment's B\01 bike which actuates forward and backward based on incline and has pedals, gears, and software-controlled resistance, meaning it can make it hard to pedal as I'm going uphill and easy when going downhill, you know... like a real bike. You can also lean left and right into turns... as you would on a real bike. The company teamed up with MTB Freeride, an in-development mountain biking game that's actually rather gorgeous and aims for realistic riding physics."

http://www.roadtovr.com/mountain-biking-in-virtual-reality-oculus-rift-activetainment-ebove-b01-bike/