• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:50:23 PM

Software for modeling bikes?

Started by Blackheart, November 08, 2015, 09:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackheart

November 08, 2015, 09:22:29 PM Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 09:25:25 PM by Blackheart
In the past (10 years ago  :-[) I had created something, including a nice car using Maya. Now I would like to make a simple bike, that maybe one day I can import into GP Bikes.

So, simple questions are  ;D :

1_The best software for this intent.
2_What attentions (or tips) should I know in the model creating?
3_I have to think about the next questions  ;D

P.S. I do not want to use Maya.

Hawk

Quote from: Blackheart on November 08, 2015, 09:22:29 PM
In the past (10 years ago  :-[) I had created something, including a nice car using Maya. Now I would like to make a simple bike, that maybe one day I can import into GP Bikes.

So, simple questions are  ;D :

1_The best software for this intent.
2_What attentions (or tips) should I know in the model creating?
3_I have to think about the next questions  ;D

I'd recommend using either Maya 2011 onwards or, 3ds Max 2010(for the 3ds Max EDF Exporter Plugin that works)

Hawk.
PS: What's the problem with Maya for you?

Blackheart

No problem with Maya, but I prefer to learn a different software from scratch, , anyway when I used Maya i was too young.  ;D

I was started with the idea of working on a version of 3ds Max, thank you for having shown a specific version  ;)

My idea was to follow a few tutorials, and after try to start a "simple" scooter (few complex parts to be modeled)  :P

Furious

Blender is awesome. And once you get how to set fbx2edf it works just fine and quick.

Hawk

November 09, 2015, 05:42:42 AM #4 Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 09:05:49 AM by Hawk
Quote from: Furious on November 09, 2015, 01:54:34 AM
Blender is awesome. And once you get how to set fbx2edf it works just fine and quick.

Blender is a powerful piece of kit for sure, but personally I just hate the interface. I know that's a cliché, but I thinks it's a true cliché when you understand that there are accepted industry standards for user interfaces as far as commands/controls and how they work but Blender developers seemed to have gone out of their way to do things totally differently. CRazy! Otherwise I think a lot more people would use blender, because as I've already said, it is a very powerful piece of kit.

I guess another thing is that once you've learned Maya or 3ds Max, then the thought of having to learn a totally alien UI interface is just not worth it seeing as Maya or 3ds Max can do anything you'd want to do anyway. So there would be no benefits from it. But for someone who is just starting out learning how to model in 3D then it is well worth looking into I'd say. :)

Not sure of Blenders limitations compared to Maya or 3ds Max, but I'm sure there will be some?  :-\

But overall I like the Maya interface... It just seems very intuitive to me, and you can get to functions easily without having to go through menu after menu after pop-up boxes like in 3ds Max. The Maya interface is the best one in my opinion.
The only problem with using Maya, is not Maya itself, but the fact that most of the modding exporter plugins are designed for 3ds Max, hence I have 3ds max just for exporting any modding work.
Let's hope that plugin developers will see the light and develop FBX exporters for their file formats. That's why I thought Piboso had pulled a stroke of genius when he released his FBX2EDF exporter, but unfortunately it doesn't work when exporting tracks, though I've been told it works when exporting individual objects, like for when you export your individual bike objects? If anyone can confirm that? ;)

Hawk.

C21

As i know most of the Modders are using any version of 3dsmax (2010-2015).
# Member of the CAWS Racing Team #

janaucarre

The export plugins for gpikes 3ds max, are for the 3ds max 2010 version, correct me if I'm wrong.

Hawk

Quote from: janaucarre on November 09, 2015, 08:52:56 AM
The export plugins for gpikes 3ds max, are for the 3ds max 2010 version, correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as I understand, the only exporter plugin that is reliable and works is for 3ds Max 2010 only. There are others up to 3ds max 2012 but as I say, the only one that works well is for 3ds Max 2010. As far as I know?  :-\

The one I'd like to see fixed is the FBX2EDF exporter. That would cover most 3d Applications all in one go.  ;D

Hawk.

Blackheart

Additional questions coming  ;D

1_ Is there a guide on how to import a bike in GP Bikes after finishing the modeling?
2_ I'm working on a bike but I think I've already exceeded the limit polygons "183k", for GP Bikes (like in a screenshot)... so, how many polygons should have a finished model?

Hawk

Quote from: Blackheart on November 10, 2015, 12:19:16 PM
Additional questions coming  ;D

1_ Is there a guide on how to import a bike in GP Bikes after finishing the modeling?
2_ I'm working on a bike but I think I've already exceeded the limit polygons "183k", for GP Bikes (like in a screenshot)... so, how many polygons should have a finished model?

That is a very good question! Maybe Piboso could advise us on that one?

But my initial advice would be to model in detail what can be seen; anything hidden you can leave out totally. Then try that. If that is okay you can update the model with more and more detail.

But given the power of hardware nowadays, I would just create your model as efficiently as you can(that can vary greatly depending on your experience and knowledge), and then just integrate and test. If it works okay with 24 of your model bikes on track(a full race grid) without affecting the FPS out of the normal(testing on various detail tracks) then your okay.  If not then you have to go back and reduce the detail, but I wouldn't worry about it too much these days unless your modelling technique is very wasteful.  :)

Your bike is looking very good mate from what I see there..... Your not a beginner to 3D modelling surely!?  :o ;D

Hawk.

Blackheart

I'm not a complete beginner (3ds Max is very similar to Maya)  ;D but in this bike my work is only marginal, I used a base and  I'm working on it only to learn as quickly as possible  ;)

How tutorials for GP Bikes I found only one (very nice!) for create the occlusion map here  for the rest I do not know absolutely nothing  :-[

Blackheart

... I return to Maya  ;D

For now I have only created a blueprint of the Fifty (in Italy was very famous in the 90's)

Blueprint

Original photo

If I can find the time to work on, I will update you with the progress ...  :P

Boerenlater

I have access to a legal version of 3dsmax. How hard is it for a complete beginner to make a bike?
I stopped gaming (and GP-Bikes)

ALEale

Quote from: Blackheart on January 07, 2016, 09:46:23 AM

... I return to Maya  ;D

For now I have only created a blueprint of the Fifty (in Italy was very famous in the 90's)

Blueprint

Original photo

If I can find the time to work on, I will update you with the progress ...  :P

you will be like a god for Alby46 eheheheheh

Napalm Nick

I don't know Boeren - I got interested to try but stopped when it is £145 a month to 'hire' the Maya/3DS software.  Would cost me about £1000 to learn to make a 3d circle first.  ::)  Pffff.

Looks a fun bike Blackheart!
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"