• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:40:53 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

FBX2EDF Exporter fix?

Started by Hawk, June 27, 2014, 02:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

March 16, 2015, 10:40:57 AM #15 Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 11:04:52 PM by Hawk UK
Quote from: Obelix90 on March 16, 2015, 07:33:30 AM
Hi Hawk,

I also had problems when converting from fbx to edf, but a bike and no track. The problem was, that every object in the scene has to be UV unwrapped. 3dsMax is doing this automatically, when you create a new object. I'm using Blender, and there I have to do this manually.
Maybe this helps a little.

All the UV's are fine no problem. Though automatic UV's are not a good thing in any instance if you want texture artist friendly UV's.  ;)
But no. I cannot see the problem being a UV problem. But hopefully Piboso can pinpoint the issue and sort it out with the crash logs I've supplied? I hope so.  ;D

Hawk.

PiBoSo

"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

Hawk

Quote from: PiBoSo on March 20, 2015, 10:04:30 PM

fbx2edf updated to 2015 SDK:
http://www.gp-bikes.com/?page=downloads

Thank you Piboso.... I'll give this a test and report back here.  ;)

Hawk.

Hawk

You say updated to 2015 SDK - Does this mean it will convert all fbx file versions up to 2015? Or only 2015 FBX compatible?

Hawk.

PiBoSo

Quote from: Hawk_UK on March 20, 2015, 11:08:24 PM

You say updated to 2015 SDK - Does this mean it will convert all fbx file versions up to 2015? Or only 2015 FBX compatible?

Hawk.

It should be backward compatible.

Hawk

Quote from: PiBoSo on March 21, 2015, 12:06:02 AM

Hawk.

Initial tests are still crashing the converter... I'll do some more tests tomorrow.

If it would help I can post a link to the crash logs if required?

Hawk.

Grooveski

Quote from: Hawk_UK on March 16, 2015, 10:40:57 AM
Hi Hawk,

I also had problems when converting from fbx to edf, but a bike and no track. The problem was, that every object in the scene has to be UV unwrapped. 3dsMax is doing this automatically, when you create a new object. I'm using Blender, and there I have to do this manually.

All the UV's are fine no problem. Though automatic UV's are not a good thing in any instance if you want texture artist friendly UV's.  ;)
But no. I cannot see the problem being a UV problem. But hopefully Piboso can pinpoint the issue and sort it out with the crash logs I've supplied? I hope so.  ;D

Hawk.

But is everything wearing a UV?
...or could there be an part with no skin somewhere - I think that's part of what Obelix was getting at.

There are games that don't like unskinned model parts.  Couldn't tell you which games but 3dsimed has a function that automaps unskinned bits and writes out little 16x16 coloured squares. 
Know I've done it in the past, either adding new parts and forgetting to skin them or breaking a texture link somewhere along the lines.  In GP500 the parts just showed as bare white but it must be an issue elsewhere in the modding scene.  Perhaps FBX2EDF is one of those places.

I hate being a noob.  All that sounds perfectly feasable to me but I've no idea if it's the case.  ::)  If it is I'm sure others would have come across it before now.

Hawk

Quote from: Grooveski on March 21, 2015, 02:58:10 AM
Quote from: Hawk_UK on March 16, 2015, 10:40:57 AM
Hi Hawk,

Hawk.

But is everything wearing a UV?
...or could there be an part with no skin somewhere - I think that's part of what Obelix was getting at.

There are games that don't like unskinned model parts.  Couldn't tell you which games but 3dsimed has a function that automaps unskinned bits and writes out little 16x16 coloured squares. 
Know I've done it in the past, either adding new parts and forgetting to skin them or breaking a texture link somewhere along the lines.  In GP500 the parts just showed as bare white but it must be an issue elsewhere in the modding scene.  Perhaps FBX2EDF is one of those places.

I hate being a noob.  All that sounds perfectly feasable to me but I've no idea if it's the case.  ::)  If it is I'm sure others would have come across it before now.

I don't know about 3DSMax, but in Maya it is quite obvious if any UV's are not applied to a surface.....
UV's are automatically created when a surface is created(though may not be mapped usefully for manual texture painting but any texture can still be applied, though without UV mapping the texture maybe well distorted. Even if you don't apply a texture to the surface the surface will show the standard material with the standard colour for that material.

I'm also testing the FBX2EDF exporter with tracks that are exporting successfully with the EdfExp2010p.dle EDF exporter plugin that I'm currently having to use via 3DS Max 2010 32bit app with FBX exported track files from Maya. So I'm presuming that if it exports correctly with that then it should export correctly with the FBX2EDF exporter.
Besides that, as part of the FBX exporter process in Maya, it tells you of any problems inherent in the exported file during the FBX export process, so there are sort of safeguards there in the export process via the FBX exporter in Maya to prevent any problems, or making you aware of any problems. So yes, I'm as sure as I can be that there are no problems with the FBX track source files, but I do understand what your saying there Grooveski.  ;)

Can you try testing this FBX2EDF exporter yourself(or anyone else who reads this)? It's always better to have more than one tester to correlate results and problems.  ;)

I'm going to do some more tests with other FBX track files today. Maybe one of them may work? Stranger things happen in this kind of work. Lol

Hawk.

PiBoSo

Quote from: Hawk_UK on March 21, 2015, 12:21:27 AM

Hawk.

Initial tests are still crashing the converter... I'll do some more tests tomorrow.

Hawk.

Logs wouldn't be of much help.
Could you please post an example FBX file making the converter crash?

Hawk

Quote from: PiBoSo on March 21, 2015, 10:02:23 AM
Quote from: Hawk_UK on March 21, 2015, 12:21:27 AM

Hawk.

Hawk.

Logs wouldn't be of much help.
Could you please post an example FBX file making the converter crash?

I will upload the FBX file now and post the link here..... Give me half an hour.  ;)

Hawk.

Hawk

@Piboso.

Here is the download link for the FBX track files you requested: https://mega.co.nz/#!7BtVnSLK!UMDAkDJCANKvn_mEQiMlmdea3pK5nYRxV3mFzPOBj2I

Hope this helps.  ;)

Hawk.
PS: I had a partial success this morning in producing a ".TRP" file from this FBX file, but when I tried repeating the process it crashed again and wouldn't have it. Strange that sometimes it will produce a successful conversion for the .TRP file and most times won't? But as far as producing a conversion for the ".MAP" file it just crashes all the time.
This FBX file does successfully convert to ".TRP" and ".Map" files if I use the EdfExp2010p.dle plugin and export via 3DSMax 2010 32 bit application.

Hawk

Just to let you know..... The Track Code shown on the FBX2EDF Exporter does not allow you to copy it to clipboard. Would be great if you could also fix this while your at it. Thanks.  ;)

Hawk.

MSovenok

Much appreciated, such a small issue can be really annoying. Thanks for the fix, bud

PiBoSo

Quote from: Hawk on March 21, 2015, 11:16:24 AM
@Piboso.

Here is the download link for the FBX track files you requested: https://mega.co.nz/#!7BtVnSLK!UMDAkDJCANKvn_mEQiMlmdea3pK5nYRxV3mFzPOBj2I

Hope this helps.  ;)

Hawk.
PS: I had a partial success this morning in producing a ".TRP" file from this FBX file, but when I tried repeating the process it crashed again and wouldn't have it. Strange that sometimes it will produce a successful conversion for the .TRP file and most times won't? But as far as producing a conversion for the ".MAP" file it just crashes all the time.
This FBX file does successfully convert to ".TRP" and ".Map" files if I use the EdfExp2010p.dle plugin and export via 3DSMax 2010 32 bit application.

Please note that the track can now be exported.
The fixed FBX2EDF will be released as soon as possible.

Hawk

Quote from: PiBoSo on December 26, 2015, 11:11:33 PM
Quote from: Hawk on March 21, 2015, 11:16:24 AM
@Piboso.

Hope this helps.  ;)

Hawk.

Please note that the track can now be exported.
The fixed FBX2EDF will be released as soon as possible.

This is BRILLIANT NEWS!  ;D :-* 8)

I look forward to the FBX2EDF release.... Thank you very much Piboso.... Much appreciated!  ;D 8)

Hawk.
PS: Just one note: Will the FBX2EDF exporter be capable of exporting all the shaders, Normal, and Spec maps without us having to write an additional text script file? If not then I'd suggest this would be the next aim for further improvement of the FBX2EDF exporter process, as I personally feel that we should be able to export work done on Maya or 3ds Max directly through the exporter rather than having to do additional script work once we have exported the track scene......
I'm sure with the FBX SDK it would be possible to integrate that process into the FBX2EDF exporter too?
:)