• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:09:16 AM

MaxHUD plugin

Started by HornetMaX, September 26, 2013, 04:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

Quote from: teeds on January 04, 2016, 03:15:38 PM
Think I'll need saturation at 30-40% and about a 10% deadzone, this possible?
In opentrack you can define the entire response curve, so yes, you can set any deadzone and any saturation.

Vini

cool suggesstion but i feel like proper sound would be the better solution.

at the moment gp bikes sound is way too simplified.
for example you only have mono sound when the bike is leaned over which is obviously completely unrealistic :D

Deinner

something like this would come in handy for those who use first person
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0EdqeHXLI0

h106frp

I would like to see sound fully working and having a quick read through the OpenAL programmers notes i am not sure why it does not - seems fairly straightforward to do spacial sound.

For other rider visual tracking what about the flight sim style, arrows that run along the bottom/sides to indicate approach position and get larger with proximity. Very easy to know where everything is and not too intrusive.

HornetMaX

Quote from: vin97 on January 04, 2016, 05:25:56 PM
And I agree :)

for example you only have mono sound when the bike is leaned over which is obviously completely unrealistic :D
It's not mono for me when the bike is leaned.

Quote from: h106frp on January 04, 2016, 07:12:43 PM
I would like to see sound fully working and having a quick read through the OpenAL programmers notes i am not sure why it does not - seems fairly straightforward to do spacial sound.
GPB already has spatial (positional) sound, including doppler effect.

Klax75

Max is it possible to make a HUD widget tied to a sound?

Since in another thread I was talking about knee slider sounds I can't seem to hear them. Then I was thinking GP Bikes has to know when they need to be played when your knee is down. So a visual reference say a red dot on the screen when the knee slider sound is played. Especially useful for using DST

HornetMaX

@Klax: no it's not possible. GPB knows when the knee is down, but this info is not passed to the plugins (and to be honest, there's no good reason to pass it).
IMO, the whole "knee slider sound" debate could be solved by simply increasing the volume of the slider sound (something Piboso can do easily), instead of playing with all the other sounds.

Stout Johnson

Quote from: Stout Johnson on January 04, 2016, 01:44:11 PM
I am only considering this visual helper because the sound engine of GPB is very deficient as it is at the moment. It shall help me make up for a problem that should not be there in the first place. If the sound engine will be perfect at some time, you won't find me here discussing this
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

Vini

Quote from: HornetMaX on January 04, 2016, 07:31:14 PM
Even in first person view?

HornetMaX

Quote from: vin97 on January 04, 2016, 09:45:52 PM
Quote from: HornetMaX on January 04, 2016, 07:31:14 PM
Even in first person view?
Even in 1st person view. If I lean the bike, I have sound on both left and right channel. Don't you ?

But I'm no longer sure what do you mean exactly with "mono". The engine sound (as emitted) is mono (in GPB and in reality), that's normal.
Do you expect to hear a different/louder sound between the left/right channel when the bike is leaned over ?

tseklias

Quote from: HornetMaX on January 04, 2016, 09:54:11 PM
...But I'm no longer sure what do you mean exactly with "mono". The engine sound (as emitted) is mono (in GPB and in reality), that's normal.

How's that possible?

Napalm Nick

One sound source. = one bike = mono.  Your ears are hearing a mono sound.

With two bikes in proximity you have two sound sources (and maybe more - think another bike coming towards on the other side of the barrier) and the signal of each/everything is split into channels relating to direction and in the case of the oncoming bike its Doppler effect too. GPBikes does do this so it is already "Stereo" capable.

I think we had this discussion lol. Max got mad at me for saying we need stereo sounds - so watch out. haha! <kidding>. He teaches like a Jedi.

Bottom line is what we have (the directional channel splitting resultant noise) aint very good yet.

Did I get anything right there Max?
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

HornetMaX

Strong become you have, young Nick. Careful though, it seems these are not good times for Jedis ...

A sound is emitted by one source, hence it's always "mono". But you have two ears (typically), so you perceive two different "versions" of the same sound, depending on your relative position (and velocity) with the sound source. GPB already have all that thanks to openAL.

tseklias

But how can you say that? I mean you can hear seperately all the different parts' sounds(pistons, transmission, exhaust, chain..), so how can it be considered mono?

HornetMaX

Quote from: tseklias on January 05, 2016, 09:50:29 AM
But how can you say that? I mean you can hear seperately all the different parts' sounds(pistons, transmission, exhaust, chain..), so how can it be considered mono?
I think you don't understand what mono means. Mono/stereo has nothing to do with the number of "separate" sound sources.
Your brain hears a stereo sound always, because you have two ears, no matter if the sound is emitted by a single loudspeaker (hence a "mono" sound), a headset with separate left and right channels (so potentially a stereo sound) or a 7.1 system.

GPB has mono sounds for everything (engine, transmission, knee sliders etc): virtually they are "emitted" in the virtual 3d space and "recorder" by two "virtual ears" (listeners) and this generates the stereo sound that you hear in your headset/speakers.