• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:49:53 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

FBX2EDF Exporter fix?

Started by Hawk, June 27, 2014, 02:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PiBoSo

Quote from: Hawk on December 27, 2015, 07:55:07 AM
PS: Just one note: Will the FBX2EDF exporter be capable of exporting all the shaders, Normal, and Spec maps without us having to write an additional text script file? If not then I'd suggest this would be the next aim for further improvement of the FBX2EDF exporter process, as I personally feel that we should be able to export work done on Maya or 3ds Max directly through the exporter rather than having to do additional script work once we have exported the track scene......
I'm sure with the FBX SDK it would be possible to integrate that process into the FBX2EDF exporter too?
:)

Each program ( 3dsmax, Maya, Blender, Modo, ... ) handles shaders in a different way.
The text shaders were chosen specifically to keep them consistent between 3D programs.
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

TFC

And great for people like me, who don't have time to learn a proper package and use sketchup which doesn't support normals..

Hawk

December 27, 2015, 07:16:49 PM #32 Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 12:28:38 AM by Hawk
Quote from: PiBoSo on December 27, 2015, 01:15:38 PM
Quote from: Hawk on December 27, 2015, 07:55:07 AM
PS: Just one note: Will the FBX2EDF exporter be capable of exporting all the shaders, Normal, and Spec maps without us having to write an additional text script file? If not then I'd suggest this would be the next aim for further improvement of the FBX2EDF exporter process, as I personally feel that we should be able to export work done on Maya or 3ds Max directly through the exporter rather than having to do additional script work once we have exported the track scene......
I'm sure with the FBX SDK it would be possible to integrate that process into the FBX2EDF exporter too?
:)

Each program ( 3dsmax, Maya, Blender, Modo, ... ) handles shaders in a different way.
The text shaders were chosen specifically to keep them consistent between 3D programs.

As I understand it, that is why the FBX format was created to simplify and standardize the interoperability of data between different 3d apps so that each app could work on scenes created by different 3D apps. So I'm sorry but I don't understand your reasoning here? What I mean is, the FBX format is surely all you need to consider here for converting the FBX format scene data into your sims, isn't it?

Hawk.

Hawk

@Piboso: I have used your latest fixed FBX2EDF exporter for the first time tonight, and I must say that I'm well impressed!  ;D

The speed of this exporter compared to the old 3dsmax plugin exporter is like the difference between day and night; the speed the FBX exporter completes the task is incredible! 3 mins to do a track.map file with a serious about of objects in the scene compared to a waiting time of at least 35+ mins for the old 3dsmax plugin exporter.
It was so quick that I seriously thought there must be something wrong, but no, everything seems to be good..... I really couldn't believe how fast it was..... I'm well impressed! Great job well done Piboso! Thank you!  ;D ;D 8)

Hawk.

Steven

I tried the new fbx2edf converter and it alway crashes when exporting to ".map". This always seems to happen at "Normals smooth".

I exported .fbx from Blender and at the end just used a simple plane named "TRKASPH".

I tried a lot of things (export options in Blender, with and without texture, different options in the converter (Flat, Recalculate, ...) but it didn't change anything. The conversion to .edf and .trp always worked (for the fbx files I tested).
Whenever I used the old converter for the same files it worked as well (.edf, .trp, and .map).

The available fbx versions in Blender are "FBX 7.4 Binary" and "FBX 6.1 ASCII".

I asked somebody else to try to export a simple object and it didn't work for him either (also Blender).
Re-exporting to Blender and also to 3ds Max works like it should (there is something in the file).
I also exported from 3ds Max 2010 (FBX 2012.2 (7.2)) to eliminate Blender.

The file linked on page 2 of this thread (Daytona_200_FBX2010_1.4b.fbx) doesn't work either, so might this be related to the PC (I have a laptop, Win7, i5-2410M, Geforce GT 540M)?
Is there something I am missing related to the .map?
Would it make sense to upload an fbx file?

Has somebody else used the new converter for the .map files already?

Basically for what I do the old one is enough so it's not that urgent for me, but if there is a way to help I'll try.

Hawk

February 08, 2016, 02:58:05 AM #35 Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 03:00:06 AM by Hawk
@Steven: Post a download link for your .fbx file with the .fbm folder scene files and I'll give it a test for you.

I used the FBX2EDF converter recently as my post above states and it worked fine for me on both .map and .trp exports.  :)

Hawk.

Steven

February 08, 2016, 08:57:55 PM #36 Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 09:16:25 PM by Steven
Thanks for the offer, Hawk! I uploaded something, but I guess it will just work.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2tnrtblz9deog0t/fbx-test.zip?dl=0

It looks like it's something with my PC. I tried the converter in a virtual machine (Windows XP, only SP3 and latest updates installed) and it worked! Even your Daytona file. So my files and the converter should be ok. I will try a bit more and report if I find something.

Edit:
I started the converter as admin and it worked. Both the test file and the Daytona file. I could have tried this earlier ... But maybe this helps somebody else.

Hawk

Quote from: Steven on February 08, 2016, 08:57:55 PM
Thanks for the offer, Hawk! I uploaded something, but I guess it will just work.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2tnrtblz9deog0t/fbx-test.zip?dl=0

It looks like it's something with my PC. I tried the converter in a virtual machine (Windows XP, only SP3 and latest updates installed) and it worked! Even your Daytona file. So my files and the converter should be ok. I will try a bit more and report if I find something.

Edit:
I started the converter as admin and it worked. Both the test file and the Daytona file. I could have tried this earlier ... But maybe this helps somebody else.

Great to hear you got it all working, Steven!  ;D 8)

Anyway I downloaded your fbx test file and put it through the FBX2EDF exporter and as you now expected it worked no problem, exporting all .EDF/.WSS/.MAP/.TRP files without any hitch.  ;)

Hawk