• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:04:59 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

KRP release on Steam

Started by Napalm Nick, May 09, 2016, 09:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PiBoSo

Quote from: HornetMaX on May 10, 2016, 02:44:30 PM
I think I've read once in Steam terms and conditions that when you put a game on Steam, your previously existing licenses can receive Steam keys.
But if KRP will anyway work without Steam too, the problem is not even there I guess.

It's sure possible on the Steam side, because many games do this.
The problem is to see exactly how it's done, and check if there are technical issues on my side.
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

Napalm Nick

Glad to hear you aren't thinking of making them Steam only despite some of its good stuff (Workshop integration for Mods would be sweet). I am very apprehensive about needing Steam for everything. Good news.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Boerenlater

I think I've read once in Steam terms and conditions that when you put a game on Steam, your previously existing licenses can receive Steam keys.
But if KRP will anyway work without Steam too, the problem is not even there I guess.
The devs themselves can decide this. It's certainly not enforced.
I stopped gaming (and GP-Bikes)

RiccoChicco

May 10, 2016, 04:47:55 PM #18 Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 04:52:50 PM by RiccoChicco
I think I'm one of the only to prefer a Steam version  ;D To be honest, Steam was bad few years ago but now I like it. You can manage all your games at the same place, deleting, re-installing, automatic updating, high download speed and even manage your saves.  With a fully working workshop KRP would be amazing, even if you're still able to install mods directly in Windows Explorer.

Anyway, good news about KRP beeing on the starting blocks for a huge community.  8)

As a personnal suggestion to PiBoSo for the upcomings complains on Steam forums (you'll get some, like any developer) : read it, but don't answer it unless it's related to technical support. Steam communities often go crazy fast, really fast  :D

And if it's possible for you, try to participate to Steam sales. Selling your work for 50% of its usual value may be difficult to accept, but you'll probably sell more than 2 times more licenses during this period.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Boerenlater on May 10, 2016, 03:50:06 PM
The devs themselves can decide this. It's certainly not enforced.
That's why I wrote "can" :)

Quote from: RiccoChicco on May 10, 2016, 04:47:55 PM
I think I'm one of the only to prefer a Steam version  ;D To be honest, Steam was bad few years ago but now I like it. You can manage all your games at the same place, deleting, re-installing, automatic updating, high download speed and even manage your saves.  With a fully working workshop KRP would be amazing, even if you're still able to install mods directly in Windows Explorer.
Same here. I was obliged to use it for a while, and honestly it has been improved a lot since its beginnings. To a point I would say it's now OK to have it.

And yes, the workshop thing could be very useful.

iVolution

Quote from: RiccoChicco on May 10, 2016, 04:47:55 PM
And if it's possible for you, try to participate to Steam sales. Selling your work for 50% of its usual value may be difficult to accept, but you'll probably sell more than 2 times more licenses during this period.
Yeah in general thats a good idea but dont know if that works the same with a relatively small group of potential buyers. Dont want to discount the game for people that were willing to pay the full price but just hadnt discovered the game yet. Discounting i think is more a meassure to drag those people over the line that already were aware of the product but did not have the money or thought it wasnt worth the full price to them. And to not screw over the customers that paid the full price piboso cannot start discounting within at least a 6 month period after product release. By that time its probably clear whether KRP is succesful or not. But i agree its a very good way to create awareness off the product since i am usually only checking the discounted items and bought games there that i wouldnt have found/tried otherwise.

PiBoSo

There are no plans to support the Steam workshop.
The plan is to keep the simulators as cross-platform as possible, and add instead a launcher that allows to browse, download, vote and submit mods, with support for multiple "repositories".

matty0l215

Quote from: PiBoSo on May 10, 2016, 05:59:31 PM
The plan is to keep the simulators as cross-platform as possible, and add instead a launcher that allows to browse, download, vote and submit mods, with support for multiple "repositories".

So have one Core.exe program and a sub folder for each Sim (GP, MX, KRP, WRS, TT)?
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

TFC

Would that mean that there was no longer need for sites like MXB-Central?  :-\

PiBoSo

Quote from: matty0l215 on May 10, 2016, 06:55:28 PM

So have one Core.exe program and a sub folder for each Sim (GP, MX, KRP, WRS, TT)?

No.

PiBoSo

May 10, 2016, 08:00:56 PM #25 Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 08:09:31 PM by PiBoSo
Quote from: TheFatController on May 10, 2016, 07:35:38 PM

Actually, the idea is quite the opposite: to try to somehow integrate websites like yours in a launcher, to make it much easier to find and download and install mods.
Also, it will be an optional service. It will always be possible to manually download and install mods.

JamoZ

Serious question here since i never really played KRP, but does this suffer from the core.exe bug aswell? Or is GPB the only victim?

TFC

Quote from: PiBoSo on May 10, 2016, 08:00:56 PM
Quote from: TheFatController on May 10, 2016, 07:35:38 PM

Actually, the idea is quite the opposite: to try to somehow integrate websites like yours in a launcher, to make it much easier to find and download and install mods.
Also, it will be an optional service. It will always be possible to manually download and install mods.

That's great, I think looking back I definitely misinterpreted your first statement..

I will be watching this space!

Furious

Sorry for moaning about it again, but since Valve is promoting linux (and I use linux) is there still a chance that KRP on steam will see SteamOS badge? OFC I know it's not priority at all, but there are literally NO simulators titles for linux atm. If that would come it would be nice touch.

Also I believe that you as such great developer as I think you are, enabling linux compatibility is not a problem.

Ofcoure I don't want to push you into anything, just curious what's the status.

PiBoSo

Quote from: Furious on May 17, 2016, 10:57:37 PM
Sorry for moaning about it again, but since Valve is promoting linux (and I use linux) is there still a chance that KRP on steam will see SteamOS badge? OFC I know it's not priority at all, but there are literally NO simulators titles for linux atm. If that would come it would be nice touch.

Also I believe that you as such great developer as I think you are, enabling linux compatibility is not a problem.

Ofcoure I don't want to push you into anything, just curious what's the status.

Some work has been done years ago to port to Linux.
At some point the dedicated server was working. However, there was and still is too much work ( with higher priority ) to do.
However the plan still is to port all the simulators to Linux / SteamOS and OSX, too, at some point.