• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:19:41 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Direct lean and bike wobbles when lifting bike vertical

Started by h106frp, May 29, 2016, 05:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h106frp

Remembered some comments in a thread somewhere and though i would experiment.

Normally run a lot of direct lean 70% and noticed a lot of wobble vibration testing a bike when lifting it back to vertical (wobble 30 + the small oscillations you can detect through the rumble), Dropping direct lean to 20% and the transition to vertical is smooth without what i assume is the v rider fighting the transition, does make the bike seem sluggish though.

So it does seem that if you are using direct lean it does fight the bike physics with some unpleasant results  :(

BOBR6 84

yeah i always struggled with this, so i use low direct lean.. started bringing it up a touch because the latest beta's changed everything. i use 45% now.

to me the slight delay with using low direct lean represent's the rider ''adjusting'' and getting ready.. if that makes sense?

with 100% direct lean it's asking too much too soon and sometimes the bike would get very unstable and even flip violently to the side..

i guess it's just a different style of play and control. But one of MANY thing's to think about before blaming physics for strange handling lol.

Napalm Nick

Agree. I had worked my way up to 100% in 6c and have now dropped it to aid the change of direction problem.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

doubledragoncc

I use 100 all the time, but have far more range in my controller but it is interesting to read as I feel very little change and in fact find I have LESS control at the center of steering to what I used to have, as if I had direct lean only at 80%?

DD

GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Vini

100% since I started playing GPB.

you learn to be careful and use the throttle in order to avoid lowsides when changing direction quickly.

HornetMaX

Quote from: h106frp on May 29, 2016, 05:19:33 PM
So it does seem that if you are using direct lean it does fight the bike physics with some unpleasant results  :(
Alternative explanation: if you're using direct lean and you're not gentle enough when picking up the bike, you actually are causing/initiating the wobble thing.

Physically it makes sense: if you pick up the bike too aggressively in real life, you can expect some hot stuff happening.

h106frp

I agree you are probably picking the bike up faster than the physics allows. DD's rig may be better with its very long control throw to calm things down.

The bigger head scratching is when setting up a mod bike should i get it 'right' for a very low direct lean and assume that is the correct representation? If you use a lot of direct lean expect erratic bar movements at times.

@Vin, agree, you can manage it to an extent with a delicate roll-on of the throttle when picking the bike up with direct lean but it does seem the rider needs 'tuning' to make direct lean more predictable.

Vini

Quote from: h106frp on May 29, 2016, 06:28:37 PM@Vin, agree, you can manage it to an extent with a delicate roll-on of the throttle when picking the bike up with direct lean but it does seem the rider needs 'tuning' to make direct lean more predictable.
Hmm, I disagree. If you spend a lot of time practicing you will get the hang of it and it's very predictable.
You can be very aggressive with picking the bike up if you time steering and throttle correctly.
Oh and don't forget using the rider movements in order to help you steer the bike when the front is light.

If you are letting the bike roll at full lean angle without throttle and quickly change the lean ange input, you can get lowsides because the countersteering of the VR is too strong.
While this could be made a bit smoother I think it's realistic that you cannot instantly change lean angle without crashing.

HornetMaX

May 29, 2016, 06:49:52 PM #8 Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 06:58:23 PM by HornetMaX
Quote from: h106frp on May 29, 2016, 06:28:37 PM
The bigger head scratching is when setting up a mod bike should i get it 'right' for a very low direct lean and assume that is the correct representation?
You should getting it right for whichever setting you normally use.
Switching from one setting to another (e.g. direct lean 20% vs 90%) takes time to get accustomed to.
If you try your mod at 90% direct lean when you always play at 20%, you end up in misjudging how your mod behaves with direct lean at 90%, just because you're not accustomed to it.

So don't bother: tune your mod to your own settings and (unless they are totally radical, like DST), that will do.

Vini

exactly max, also, always use the same setup, depending on the track only change swing arm length and tyre pressures.

...still, using lower direct lean can make stability issues less apparent because the steering is automatically smoother.
so make sure you let somebody with 100% test the bike as well :D :D