• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:25:03 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

MaxHUD plugin

Started by HornetMaX, September 26, 2013, 04:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warlock

Quote from: Hawk on June 20, 2016, 05:31:56 PM
But if I was you I would just try to replicate the actual real MotoGP TV overlay style, capabilities and colours and nothing more.  ;) 8)
Hawk.

+1  I would say the same

HornetMaX

Hmmm ... MotoGP overlays are made for spectators, not for riders. I was hoping to have something for both :)

As you can see, normally it doesn't show the gaps. I'm willing to implement the white line you can see in the 3rd picture between 4th and 5th position (indicating which riders are already past the finish line), that should be doable.

For racing, what Alvaro Ramiro has posted would be perfect: you have (almost) all the info you need. But for spectating/broadcasting we may want something else. Need to think a bit more ...

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on June 21, 2016, 07:22:39 AM
Hmmm ... MotoGP overlays are made for spectators, not for riders. I was hoping to have something for both :)

Oh! I didn't realise you were designing for the rider too.... I thought this overlay was just for live-streaming(live-replay) benefit..... But yeah that would be great Max!  ;D

I'm sure the spectator TV style overlay does actually have a widget strip at the bottom of the screen that appears when they want to show the lap/sector time differences between riders, yes? Couldn't you just replicate that too?  :)

I presume that the idea behind the additional rider version is to be able to replace the current MaxHUD version?

HornetMaX

There's nothing to replace in MaxHUD as it currently does not give you any information about standings and gaps between you and other riders.

The problem with TV-style overlays is that in real life they are controlled manually, i.e. there's somebody deciding to show this or that depending on the current situation. I don't plan to do this.

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on June 21, 2016, 09:07:29 AM
There's nothing to replace in MaxHUD as it currently does not give you any information about standings and gaps between you and other riders.

The problem with TV-style overlays is that in real life they are controlled manually, i.e. there's somebody deciding to show this or that depending on the current situation. I don't plan to do this.

Does that mean that it's not possible to do this? I mean it would be very handy for someone like DD while doing the live stream to be able to have that sort of control.   :)

Hawk.

HornetMaX

To be done properly you'd probably have to have a separate screen with plenty of infos and buttons to toggle stuff on/off.
Even if in principle one could try to define a few keyboard shortcuts, I really don't think it's worth the effort: too much work for way too little actual usage.
It's GPB: we're not airing this on Eurosport, ESPN or similar :)

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on June 21, 2016, 09:38:04 AM
To be done properly you'd probably have to have a separate screen with plenty of infos and buttons to toggle stuff on/off.
Even if in principle one could try to define a few keyboard shortcuts, I really don't think it's worth the effort: too much work for way too little actual usage.
It's GPB: we're not airing this on Eurosport, ESPN or similar :)

I have to disagree with you on that Max. Having that sort of control via keyboard control shortcuts would be a huge benefit for a live-streaming producer on GPB right now, which after-all is were this idea got kick-started from.  ;)
Would it mean that much more extra work to implement an on/off function for certain overlays? At least it would be there to be used when needed, and in Live-stream production it will be very useful indeed.

You know what they say about small beginnings, and sowing the seeds.  ;D

Hawk.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk on June 21, 2016, 09:56:15 AM
Would it mean that much more extra work to implement an on/off function for certain overlays? At least it would be there to be used when needed, and in Live-stream production it will be very useful indeed.
It would need I implement the overlays first, and global shortcut handler after (trying not to interfere with GPB itself, which has his own shortcuts).
All this to have one overlay used for 30 sec in a 45min race that nobody will ever watch. So at the moment there's no big need for top notch stuff: the trackmap + the standings are well enough.

Plus, where's your' old-school inner side ? In the 80's there was for sure no fancy-colored, real-time updated graphical overlay when watching races on tv :)

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on June 21, 2016, 10:05:24 AM
Quote from: Hawk on June 21, 2016, 09:56:15 AM
It would need I implement the overlays first, and global shortcut handler after (trying not to interfere with GPB itself, which has his own shortcuts).
All this to have one overlay used for 30 sec in a 45min race that nobody will ever watch. So at the moment there's no big need for top notch stuff: the trackmap + the standings are well enough.

Plus, where's your' old-school inner side ? In the 80's there was for sure no fancy-colored, real-time updated graphical overlay when watching races on tv :)

In the 80's the commentators still had access to offscreen information that they then communicated to the public, so not as different as your implicating.  :P
But I could suggest that no overlay info for the rider(unlike spectators) is required at all except pitboard info, but we are talking the difference between real-life and a PC 2d Screen based simulation here which has very little feedback in comparison to a real life bike on track. So certain things are needed to provide further visual awareness of what's happening around you. I'm all for compromise when it's truly needed.  :)

But besides that, I'm thinking of ways of allowing a Live-stream producer like DD to do his job as well as possible in GPB in it's current state of development, and that can only be done by providing him with the tools for the job.  :)

How many will watch live-streaming? Okay we can be pretty sure that initially there won't be many people watching, but like I said about sowing the seeds, and big things grow from small trees; live-streaming is no doubt a major tool for promoting GPB and the better it can be promoted(visually) the more people will get interested in watching and hopefully wanting to actually give it a try and buy GPB. Now isn't that a more just cause/aim for this feature than just giving a rider on screen info?
We disagree on a lot of things I know Max, but I hope this control feature is one I can turn you around on.  :)

Hawk.

Napalm Nick

I was watching virtual touring car championship on my TV! Yes really! It was being commentated on by a real live normal race TV commentator too. Very nice and not much difference from watching real Touring Cars with the info on screen. So these things do progress it depends how much faith there is in the product and whether to take baby steps or huge ground breaking strides.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

HornetMaX

Quote from: Napalm Nick on June 21, 2016, 10:42:47 AM
So these things do progress it depends how much faith there is in the product and whether to take baby steps or huge ground breaking strides.
Baby steps here. When we have a youtube/twitch/whatever channel with 1,000 members (a thousand, not 1 million) I could reconsider.

Just as a reminder, at the moment the chances that all 10 players can finish the race without bombing out are slimmer than Leicester winning the Premier League :)

doubledragoncc

To be quite honest, A track map that shows where bikes are and if there are some close and fighting is the best bit of info to find battles and make the stream better.

The BIGGEST problem is people being lazy and insisting on using default paints, it pisses me off when we try so hard to give people a wider choice of paints because I dont know who is who out of the 4 guys looking the same, or there is 5 number 46 Rossi paints.

The replay overlay looks terrible on the stream but I need it as I need to know who the hell is who or I get it wrong and it pisses someone off if I say they crashed but it was another guy in the same paints!!!

ANYTHING you do will help Max and is much appreciated. I am just trying to promote GPB to the best of my capabilities and any help goes a long way to reduce the stress on this old farts brain lol.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Napalm Nick

I would also choose baby steps. And just a thousand members before leaps is very charitable.

I don't need reminding about the finishing stats  ;D lol. Not after last race.

Agree with DD - anything you can bring will be hugely appreciated.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Hawk

Well I've put my case forward to try and get the best tools currently possible in GPB right now(in my opinion) for the job needed, but if it's not what's wanted then fair enough, I'm easy with whatever is wanted by those that are actually in the front line(AKA DD)... after all, DD is the one with the experience to know what would be best for him to do his commentating job well.   ;) 8)

@DD: The only way your going to become familiar with riders names and bikes is through regular live-stream events over a period of time so that you get to know instantly upon seeing the bike/rider who they are.
But I do agree with you that it would certainly make your job a lot easier to recognise riders if they had a rider/helmet/leathers skins that you could become familiar with.
As a suggestion, it maybe worth creating a register of active riders so that they register their number and bike/helmet/leathers paints that they then have to stick to for that year, and anyone who wants to join a race has to register those things before they can compete. This could possibly be done through the GPBOC? And any rider that shows up without their designated skins will be either told to go and assign their designated registered skins or they will be kicked off the server. It may seem a little harsh, but it's the only way to get some sort of organisation going as far as skins and rider recognition is concerned, the same as we had to do with organising the bikeMOD and track databases to stop the chaos with server data mismatches a few years ago and that worked a treat!  ;D

It's just a suggestion and not a dictate. Lol. But if you want to achieve ease of rider recognition during events then this is what you'd have to think about organising to be able to do it.
I certainly wouldn't object to having to do that because I understand the reasons behind it, but while riders can just pick and choose any paints as they like while taking part in events then you'll never get any organisation going and will always be struggling to recognise who is who........ It's horses for courses mate. :)

Baby Steps:
Hmm.... I'm more inclined to do what is possible with the means at your disposal rather than make due with a second best feature simply because something that works and looks better will naturally attract more peoples curiosity and therefore be a more affective promotional tool.  :)

Hawk.

doubledragoncc

June 21, 2016, 11:59:44 AM #464 Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 12:12:21 PM by doubledragoncc
Good suggestions Hawky but the only problem is with it not being the same class or bike each race like in MotoGP etc people invariably have a favorite paint but if a tasty new one comes along they all want to use it lol

I am seriously thinking of banning DEFAULT paints in races at least as it really makes GPB look cheap(no disrespect Piboso I mean compared to mod paints) and is not the best to represent a product, PLUS it looks like shit with 20 bikes and riders all the same lol (wee exaggeration). It is also the fact that when riding you like to know who is who without having to be able to read the name due to how they might ride as in real life. I am considering making packs that have helmets and suits with riders numbers so that you must have your own custom one or one from the pack or no racing sonny. Guys may want to kill me but it ruins lots of the fun of GPB for others when it looks boring and repetitive on the track. AND they all scream about it being realistic but dont want to do as is in real life. You cant race IRL using Rossi's bike and number so why should you in GPB??? If you want to use a Rossi paint, change the bloody number to your own and if you cant do it I will do it for you!!! 

It takes just a bit from the others to really make things easier and simpler in the end for those of us trying to make GPB the best it can be.

DD

EDIT: Banning might be a bit harsh I should say WEENING the boys away from their blankies lol
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.