• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:09:45 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

It's a long way to the top ( if you wanna rock'n'roll )

Started by PiBoSo, October 22, 2016, 08:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PiBoSo

How many of you were around at the time of GPB alpha?
Today I was doing a couple test laps on a very old track and I was thinking: "GPB sure changed a lot over the years".
So I decided to make a comparison video, just for fun:
http://www.youtube.com/v/LmSygVJga4s

On the left, the Alpha5 ( from the beginning of 2009 ), the earliest version that still runs without graphical glitches.
On the right, the latest private build.
In theory they should simulate roughly the same bike ( 2004 vs 2003 ). The reality is that the alpha physics was very strange and doesn't feel like a motorcycle.
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

Blackheart

October 22, 2016, 08:48:27 PM #1 Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 08:51:43 PM by Blackheart
Nice comparison, out of curiosity track name?  Looks good.  8)

P.S. The 3p rev counter was better in the alpha :P

Boerenlater

I stopped gaming (and GP-Bikes)

matty0l215

Nice work. Looks like the bike is being ridden and not guided around (sim vs arcade)

Quote from: Blackheart on October 22, 2016, 08:48:27 PM
Nice comparison, out of curiosity track name?  Looks good.  8)

P.S. The 3p rev counter was better in the alpha :P

Isn't this Limerock?

Why did it get removed? it's a nice little track.
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

HornetMaX

I have some distant memories of playing around with one alpha (to be honest I can't recall which one, could be 5 or 3).
At the time it looked already interesting and already far superior to the competition. So yes, despite everything, good work !

P.S.
Wasn't the track called Russian Ring ?

Warlock

Limerock  :)

Yes, old memories, got interested enough at that time , alpha 7 , i still have the installer  :)

Docfumi

Quote from: Warlock on October 22, 2016, 10:24:18 PM
Limerock  :)

Yes, old memories, got interested enough at that time , alpha 7 , i still have the installer  :)

Ahhh! Yes alpha 7,I too have that installer and have it running on my laptop I remember it
came with a free version of WRS, woot woot!!! I still use my same key from back then.
GPB is a part of my family and all the progress over the years makes it the best SIM ever.

;D ;D ;D
I didn't lose the race, I ran out of laps.

PeterV

Toomes1

Quote from: PeterV on October 23, 2016, 06:54:05 AM
Yep lime rock, with the 250 that was fun indeed.

I loved approaching that hairy corner as it takes you over the rise and down into the fast right leading onto the straight....amazing on the 250...After that I was in awe of this sim and have never stopped really. Well done Piboso, you've been leading the bike sims for years now so go for it chap.

janaucarre

Good to see a video like this thx.
A night i was searching around about moto games and finally found gpbikes. Download the demo, try it about 5 laps and buy the alpha7 minutes after.
Gpbikes lives with me since that time.
Only one problem:" i can no more play to another moto game"

JamoZ

Why did this track and the 250 get removed? I`d say swap the current 125 with an updated version of the 250 and let that be the demo bike...

I remember playing this track with the 250 with an old joystick and showing it to iVolution, we both were amazed and bought a license not very long after that :)

Alone

I started with alpha6 or 7. I felt in love at the first time. I knew about it on a gp500 forum with wxat and raroo's posts (the last one was inlvoved in early stages of gpb, doesn't he?).
I played with keyboard till beta 1 por 2, lol.
Like janaucarre, gpb closed all the doors to another bike game (and I only play bike games), except a couple of laps on gp500 or sbk2001 for some nostalgic moments :)
Still have the setup exe of alpha 7 too :)

grimm

I still have a copy of LRP kicking around in beta9c, it's alot of fun to ride, still after all these years.  ;D

I came into GP Bikes right around the release of Alpha3 I think it was, been a long time! I'm always getting a new version, getting frustrated for the first two laps or so because I have to re-learn so much about the physical limits (being able to go faster without a crash) but every single time, I settle into it, and find more speed, more big moments, and more fun! I think the only thing that could make GP Bikes better at this particular point in time, is not giving up completely on it and working to improve the rider (is a rag doll rider after leaving the bike even possible? it is the last thing that doesn't look super realistic... not that crashes should be a feature  :P) and get the netcode up to par with other multiplayer games so it runs smoothly without issue and GP Bikes will be top of the sim market for years to come. I'm unsure anyone is even going to get near this level where it is at now, let alone in a matter of years.

My brother broke down and bought Ride2, and it just highlighted for me how far GP Bikes is ahead of the curve in the motorcycle sim/game market!

Piboso, as hard as you are on yourself, you've created something that not even the (to some legendary) Kunos couldn't follow through with! netBike (the trento bondone video on youtube with a rider on the R1) was the most promise anyone of us have seen until GP Bikes launched, and through the years of development you've surpassed that teasing video from Kunos by such a margin that even if netBike became a reality, it would still face years of development to get anywhere near the benchmark you created. If I was you, I would ignore the discontent of the few and appreciate the love shown from the many. Congratulations on getting this far, and I hope to see another comparison later on, showing what a surprise it is that it's gotten even more in depth and technical than it is at this point.  ;)

PiBoSo

Quote from: grimm on October 23, 2016, 04:58:54 PM
Congratulations on getting this far, and I hope to see another comparison later on, showing what a surprise it is that it's gotten even more in depth and technical than it is at this point.  ;)

Thank you for the kind words.
Unfortunately there isn't much left to improve on the physics' side, so a new comparison video will not make such an impact. However, the leaning problem when turning uphill is clearly visible on the right, so that's one point that will make a difference.
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

Stout Johnson

Quote from: Alone on October 23, 2016, 03:51:33 PM
I started with alpha6 or 7. I felt in love at the first time. I knew about it on a gp500 forum with wxat and raroo's posts (the last one was inlvoved in early stages of gpb, doesn't he?).

Same here :) I also came from gp500. And I also can't do any bike game since I fell in love with this sim.
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------