• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:17:44 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Pacenotes

Started by TFC, December 12, 2016, 01:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TFC

Is there any plans to add a pacenotes system to WRS?

I could see it working as something you set up in TrackEd, possibly with the ability to add a sort of checkpoint line across the centerline, which when driven through would trigger a graphic up on the screen in game under the mirror with an image like a hard corner, medium corner, crest, jump, no cut corner etc..

If this is possible, it would also be great to be able to add sound files to tracks that are triggered by the pacenotes, we could then either record our own co driver voice for each pacenote or use downloaded samples or samples from other rally sims. There could then be a choice in the settings to drive with either visual, audiable, both or no pacenotes.

If this isn't something you want to add (PiBoSo) would it be possible to mod this? For example, is this potentially something MaX could code in as a plugin?

Thanks  :)

PiBoSo

December 12, 2016, 01:32:01 PM #1 Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 01:37:39 PM by PiBoSo
Quote from: TheFatController on December 12, 2016, 01:21:07 PM
Is there any plans to add a pacenotes system to WRS?

I could see it working as something you set up in TrackEd, possibly with the ability to add a sort of checkpoint line across the centerline, which when driven through would trigger a graphic up on the screen in game under the mirror with an image like a hard corner, medium corner, crest, jump, no cut corner etc..

If this is possible, it would also be great to be able to add sound files to tracks that are triggered by the pacenotes, we could then either record our own co driver voice for each pacenote or use downloaded samples or samples from other rally sims. There could then be a choice in the settings to drive with either visual, audiable, both or no pacenotes.

If this isn't something you want to add (PiBoSo) would it be possible to mod this? For example, is this potentially something MaX could code in as a plugin?

Thanks  :)

There are no plans for pacenotes, or a co-driver model + animations.
In general, no rally support, sorry.
A proper rally sim would require VERY large terrains, snow simulation, car lights at night, multiple stages with limited time for repairments between them, ... all of this is WAAAY beyond the scope of WRS.

While a motocross simulator is for sure the most difficult, by far, when it comes to physics, a rally sim is incredibly complex in terms of needed features.
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

Stout Johnson

Quote from: PiBoSo on December 12, 2016, 01:32:01 PM
A proper rally sim would require VERY large terrains, snow simulation, car lights at night, multiple stages with limited time for repairments between them, ... all of this is WAAAY beyond the scope of WRS.
This would very much sound like the perfect rally sim  ;) Imo, rally fans would already be very satisfied with realistic physics and deformable terrain. I was thinking about some sort of pacenotes system recently. And I was thinking that it probably would be the easiest way to have a buddy read it via TeamSpeak while being able to live-view the driver (e.g. via the replay, the car would just need an additional camera view which would sort of replicate the co-driver's view). So there would not be any real programming effort needed from Piboso there.

The only thing we need for WRS to be a good rally sim, are nice rally stages. Later on, some sort of a more refined damage model, especially to chassis, springs, dampers etc. would be cool. But I think WRS could already gain many rally fans as it is. We just need tracks (and some more cars). Support for tracks which have a finish somewhere else than the start is already planned as far as I remember.
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

TFC

Could pacenotes be modded in? I mean, is there anything sent out regarding distance along the centerline that could be hooked into?

As far as I see heightmaps, you can do a lot with a 1k x 1k heightmap but you get weaving courses rather than more of a directional a - b layout. This is fine but does limit what you can make.

Ideally you would want the option to run multiple heightmaps, or one that is say 4097 tall by 2049 wide.

PiBoSo

Quote from: TheFatController on December 12, 2016, 02:06:14 PM
Could pacenotes be modded in? I mean, is there anything sent out regarding distance along the centerline that could be hooked into?

As far as I see heightmaps, you can do a lot with a 1k x 1k heightmap but you get weaving courses rather than more of a directional a - b layout. This is fine but does limit what you can make.

Ideally you would want the option to run multiple heightmaps, or one that is say 4097 tall by 2049 wide.

Pacenotes should be easy enough to add as mod. Plugins know the exact position of the car, absolute and relative to the centerline. Of course the plugin alone wouldn't be enough: an editor would be needed, too. The editor could be hooked to the replay, using the same plugin, so the user could move along the stage and place notes.
Plugins are not able to play sounds through the engine, but it shouldn't be too difficult using the Win32 API.

TFC

That's awesome..

So how about it MaX (or any other plugin devs, don't know any) if I was to make a decent rally course, would you or anyone be interested in making a pacenotes (MaXnotes ;D) plugin?

HornetMaX

If by pacenotes you just mean putting an image and/or playing a sound when the vehicle is at a given point on the "track", then that should be pretty easy.
The annoying part would be to create the notes: I'd have to provide a GUI to do that (as doing it manually gets boring quickly).
Either as an external tool or something integrated within WRS (create the notes while on track).

I'm tempted to go with the approach "put the money on the table, then we'll see": create the track, let's see if we have an audience and then I may think about doing something :)

TFC

December 12, 2016, 05:59:58 PM #7 Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 06:13:21 PM by TheFatController
That's more than enough for me MaX, thank you. I'm on it ;)

Alby46

While a motocross simulator is for sure the most difficult, by far, when it comes to physics, a rally sim is incredibly complex in terms of needed features.
Just asking: can we do all of that as a mod for WRS? the mod button has been available in the game menu for a while, i guess what's that for
Still riding a 50cc, but enjoying it :)

PiBoSo

Quote from: Alby46 on December 12, 2016, 09:52:25 PM

Just asking: can we do all of that as a mod for WRS? the mod button has been available in the game menu for a while, i guess what's that for

No.

TFC

Track is going well so far. Only downside is that I was making a 1000 x 1000 2k heightmap with mesh road in a circuit, a short 'special stage', which took about 8 - 10 minutes to compile. I've now started a 1500 x 1500 version with a point to point track, more of a regular stage, and just heightmap with road took about 30 minutes to compile :(

Stout Johnson

Quote from: TheFatController on December 17, 2016, 09:06:24 AM
Track is going well so far. Only downside is that I was making a 1000 x 1000 2k heightmap with mesh road in a circuit, a short 'special stage', which took about 8 - 10 minutes to compile. I've now started a 1500 x 1500 version with a point to point track, more of a regular stage, and just heightmap with road took about 30 minutes to compile :(

:/ I still hope you keep it up, I highly anticipate your track. Can't wait to try it :) Good luck mate.
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

TFC

I'm determined to make it work ;)

TFC

Little status update. After making 3 - 4 different tracks, I've got the method down. I've started a road layout with dirt tracks linking up for multiple course options using layouts, and have to finish about 3 junctions before I can get it in game. Will start a new topic for the work in progress and a couple of videos later today or tomorrow.

sandbiter

So I don't really have to worry about finishing my rally course at the moment? Might finish it eventually though.