• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

GP Bikes Needs a Ghost/Trainer

Started by Urban Chaos 2.0, February 20, 2017, 02:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uberslug

There would need to be two modes for a ghost rider; Personal Best Lap Ghost and Set Lap Time Ghost.

The PBLG would, in essence, be a replay of one's personal best lap. It would need to be pretty sophisticated in order to update in real time or, at the very least, from lap to lap. If one rode around behind it one would learn where one is making mistakes and where future opponents would see an opportunity to stuff it up inside going into a turn.

The SLTG algorithm would need to be able to figure out the best possible lines for each corner of each track at the provided lap time. It would also need to take into account all of the variables such as bike type, track temperature, ambient temperature, tire wear, fuel load, etc.

I think I would find a tool like this REALLY helpful but I would not want the responsibility of having to program it.

PiBoSo

It would be interesting to know from you, who just a few days ago wrote: "Eliminate Third Person View - It's a simulator, not a game... ", why the ghost rider is acceptable in GP Bikes.
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

Hawk

Quote from: PiBoSo on November 11, 2017, 04:32:01 PM
It would be interesting to know from you, who just a few days ago wrote: "Eliminate Third Person View - It's a simulator, not a game... ", why the ghost rider is acceptable in GP Bikes.

I would agree totally with Piboso on this debate..... This is a simulator not a game. Implementing a ghost rider would be introducing Arcady features and something that is not needed in a serious sim, and I personally would hate to see it in any serious simulator. In fact name me one bike simulator that has a ghost rider feature?  ;D ;)

TimboC137

November 11, 2017, 05:07:49 PM #18 Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 05:11:21 PM by TimboC137

some concessions should be made. if there are no ghosts strictly to keep GPB a sim, then by that reason 3rd person view shouldn't be allowed either. but it is allowed because the majority use it. i think the majority of ppl here would use the ghosts, so they should be considered(as long as its possible) being put in GPB. no?

ghosts should be treated like 3rd person view. if you don't like it, don't use it. ghosts would also be somewhat of an alternative to AI. it would be something to do by oneself when there is nobody else online to practice with.

matty0l215

Quote from: Hawk on November 11, 2017, 04:55:41 PM

I would agree totally with Piboso on this debate..... This is a simulator not a game. Implementing a ghost rider would be introducing Arcady features and something that is not needed in a serious sim, and I personally would hate to see it in any serious simulator. In fact name me one bike simulator that has a ghost rider feature?  ;D ;)

Going to have to disagree with you there...

How else am i going to beat anyone :P ;D

But seriously, MXB has the Trainer so why can't it be implimented in to GPB? As Timbo said, like 3rd person, It is personal prefrence if you want to use it. And for somthing that already works in the Core engine why not have it as another feature in each game (well assuming that it can be easily implimented Only Piboso can shed light on that)

Also, ghost can be shared. Good for training purposes. Fast people can share their laps and others can follow them.
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

Hawk

Okay, lets have an open ended POLL on this subject....... Not to try an influence Piboso, but just to gauge the real opinion on the matter.... History always shows that it's often those that speak loudest who are in the minority? ;D

I'll put a POLL up for everyone to vote on this matter. :)

Napalm Nick

'NEED' is the difficult word I think.

It doesn't need it to be a good game/simulator but for me the more features the better. Even an 'arcade mode' if you like. As long as its a choice and it can't be mixed online I don't care too much. Pah and I am a sim fanboy! Must be getting mellow in my old age.

Not everyone wants to play online (even if we could ha!  :P)
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

uberslug

Seems like a bit of a contradiction, doesn't it?

First - Third person view provides the person using the simulator with an unrealistic view of the track and the chassis. To express my opinion in is as blunt a manner as possible, a person using the simulator in third person view is little more than a puppet master.

Second - Ghost view really isn't any different than Miller following Marquez around Valencia trying to figure out how to get to Marquez's level. Riders have been following each other around for decades trying to learn each other's lines and craft. If implemented properly, a ghost rider would allow us to train effectively in testing mode and would make racing online that much more enjoyable as participants would be more accustomed to riding in close proximity to another rider. I have only been at this for approximately nine months with barely four months of online shenanigans under my leathers. I have been knocked down more times by other riders in these four months than I have been knocked down during 40 years of bicycle racing. I think many of these mishaps could be avoided by having adequate training time.

KG_03

IMO lack of ghost make the online racing alive. I prefer 1000times more to race online than practice offline. I must say that the immersion and realism that GP Bikes give is fantastic. Also you people who know what you want motorcycle game and understand how to behave on track is fantastic. I didn't wait long to start multiplayer racing. Despite I still make so many mistakes and crash very often I have learned a lot thanks to other players in online racing, following others or getting tips from them. Ghosts won't give you experience and fun.

There are many more important things that developer could spend time at improvement. Even if in the end the suggestion of ghost will be approved by PiBoSo I hope it will be at the far end of the list.

uberslug

Quote from: KG13 on November 12, 2017, 12:34:11 AMThere are many more important things that developer could spend time at improvement. Even if in the end the suggestion of ghost will be approved by PiBoSo I hope it will be at the far end of the list.

I agree that the priority should be getting the online racing stable so more and more people participate, however, when the online races have no participants riding against a ghost rider would be preferable to riding alone.

Hawk

Quote from: KG13 on November 12, 2017, 12:34:11 AM
IMO lack of ghost make the online racing alive. I prefer 1000times more to race online than practice offline. I must say that the immersion and realism that GP Bikes give is fantastic. Also you people who know what you want motorcycle game and understand how to behave on track is fantastic. I didn't wait long to start multiplayer racing. Despite I still make so many mistakes and crash very often I have learned a lot thanks to other players in online racing, following others or getting tips from them. Ghosts won't give you experience and fun.

There are many more important things that developer could spend time at improvement. Even if in the end the suggestion of ghost will be approved by PiBoSo I hope it will be at the far end of the list.

+1 Totally agree with everything you said there KG13.

HornetMaX

Quote from: matty0l215 on November 11, 2017, 05:57:56 PM
But seriously, MXB has the Trainer so why can't it be implimented in to GPB?
This ^

Even more actually: KRP has a ghost, and KRP is probably the PiBoSo title closer to the "ultimate simulator" stance.

I don't think a ghost would take people away from online racing. Online racing is something totally different: different pleasure, different constraint, ...

No biggie for me, I'm not sure how much of a difference the ghost would make for me personally in GPB, but to be honest I cannot understand why it is there in MXB/KRP and not. So if the majority is in favour, I'd go with that.

Of course, online stability and the DSQ at start issues are far more important.

uberslug

Just to be clear, I think Ghost Mode should only be an optional feature in Testing. In no way, shape, or form should there be any type of AI Creature or Ghost in Racing.

HornetMaX

Quote from: uberslug on November 12, 2017, 12:49:59 PM
Just to be clear, I think Ghost Mode should only be an optional feature in Testing. In no way, shape, or form should there be any type of AI Creature or Ghost in Racing.
That's exactly what's being discussed here, ghost for offline (its called trainer in mxb/krp).

davidboda46

My opinion is that a Ghost would be nice for offline training, specially since the online part of the game is not working properly. Just riding around doing hot-laps offline gets a bit stale after a while, a ghost would make it more interesting and you would probably also improve your riding. If the choice is "implementing ghost" vs "fixing online problems" then I would choose the later 100%. But since the problem with the online has been around for ever... it all also depends on how much work it would take to implement the ghost.

According to me there are still 3 major problems with GP-bikes that needs to be fixed ahead of more "cosmetic" work (sorted by importance):
1. Online stability - core exe, lag, riders connecting lag, "bouncing bikes", jump starts and so on.
2. Front wheel stability on uphill-, downhill turns and on bumpy surface.
3. Wheels on curbs, at the moment it is pretty much a guaranteed crash as soon as you touch a curb when the bike is leaning.

My 2 cents.

Cheers,

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46     
"THE EDGE... THERE IS NO HONEST WAY TO EXPLAIN IT BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW WHERE IT IS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE GONE OVER"