• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 08:35:04 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

WINNER - Wimp | Hotlap Event #2 WorldSBK 17 | Autodrom Most

Started by Italian Mod Team, December 06, 2017, 05:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luponius

Quote from: Wimp #97 on December 11, 2017, 04:40:08 PM
Quote from: Luponius on December 11, 2017, 11:55:42 AM
Best I could do was a 1'41, and that's in third person, I couldn't crack 1'45 in cockpit.  Whoever is going faster is clearly hacking and should be eliminated promptly.  Seriously though, HOW?? :P

Haha, keep practicing. I suggest to try the bmw s1000rr because to me it feels fairly easy ride and it is also the fastest. I would be glad to help and give some tips but I need to know / see what you are doing "wrong" before I can help :p

Assume I'm doing everything wrong, that's usually a good place to start with me.  I'll try the BMW, I quite liked it when I rode with it before.  One issue I'm finding is I used to be able to front and rear brake simultaneously which gave me much greater control on the bike and leans but on this current bike if I hit the rear the engine just dies out and I coast like a tomato until I blip it back up and get a nice wiggle on a lucky day.

Another issue is setup, I have no idea what most of the stuff does, the only two things I tend to tweak are the rake (increase it if the bike is super twitchy) and final drive, to soften excessive wheelies and avoid maxing out on top speed, which hasn't happened in a long while.

connorhall70

i dont understand how a 1:30 is possible lol.
GanjaGod

Wimp #97

Quote from: Luponius on December 12, 2017, 11:15:03 AM

Assume I'm doing everything wrong, that's usually a good place to start with me.  I'll try the BMW, I quite liked it when I rode with it before.  One issue I'm finding is I used to be able to front and rear brake simultaneously which gave me much greater control on the bike and leans but on this current bike if I hit the rear the engine just dies out and I coast like a tomato until I blip it back up and get a nice wiggle on a lucky day.

Another issue is setup, I have no idea what most of the stuff does, the only two things I tend to tweak are the rake (increase it if the bike is super twitchy) and final drive, to soften excessive wheelies and avoid maxing out on top speed, which hasn't happened in a long while.

Being able to use front and rear brake simultaniously depends on the bike. I never am able to use the rear brake constantly because I change my engine brake in a way that the bike likes to slide the rear. When it slides the rear it becomes more stable untill a certain point. Ideally I change engine brake untill I just need a slight tap on the rear brake when i start braking so that the rear slides out but its fairly difficult to do so I would not advice practising that right now(also supsension can help with stability under braking but its not that easy to determine what you need from it. On the bmw I increase the rebound in rear and decrease the bump in the rear and also lower springrate but maybe thats just how I like it, for me this makes the bike more stable, less snappy/twitchy).

For now I would advice to not really use the rear brake too much as it doesn't do that much on these bikes( on some the rear brake helps a lot: 500cc gp bikes for example because they have low engine brake). Go quickly down the gears when braking or at least play around with the speed of dropping gears so that you find the most "stable" pattern. Don't be afraid to be hard on the front brake untill you either lose the front or go over the bars. After a while you'll get to know the sweet spot of braking. Ofcourse if you want to go fast you need to have some sort of braking markers on the track, so that you can consistently brake late.

Note: I don't have a gradual rear brake. I just have a button I tap and I added a lot of smoothness in the settings to that button so that it comes more gradually.
Wimp #97

Champion Moto2 International Cup 2018

Wimp #97

Quote from: connorhall70 on December 12, 2017, 06:00:47 PM
i dont understand how a 1:30 is possible lol.

1.30 Seems highly unlikely for me. 1.31.2 is about my maximum possible I think. But that would be a perfect lap
Wimp #97

Luponius

Quote from: Wimp #97 on December 12, 2017, 06:04:53 PM
Quote from: Luponius on December 12, 2017, 11:15:03 AM

Being able to use front and rear brake simultaniously depends on the bike. I never am able to use the rear brake constantly because I change my engine brake in a way that the bike likes to slide the rear. When it slides the rear it becomes more stable untill a certain point. Ideally I change engine brake untill I just need a slight tap on the rear brake when i start braking so that the rear slides out but its fairly difficult to do so I would not advice practising that right now(also supsension can help with stability under braking but its not that easy to determine what you need from it. On the bmw I increase the rebound in rear and decrease the bump in the rear and also lower springrate but maybe thats just how I like it, for me this makes the bike more stable, less snappy/twitchy).

For now I would advice to not really use the rear brake too much as it doesn't do that much on these bikes( on some the rear brake helps a lot: 500cc gp bikes for example because they have low engine brake). Go quickly down the gears when braking or at least play around with the speed of dropping gears so that you find the most "stable" pattern. Don't be afraid to be hard on the front brake untill you either lose the front or go over the bars. After a while you'll get to know the sweet spot of braking. Ofcourse if you want to go fast you need to have some sort of braking markers on the track, so that you can consistently brake late.

Note: I don't have a gradual rear brake. I just have a button I tap and I added a lot of smoothness in the settings to that button so that it comes more gradually.

Cheers on answer, I have my rear brake on right thumb-stick down, the clutch is same stick on up, and then rider lean is left and right but that's automatic and i never bother with it.  I'll look into downloading and checking out your replay maybe i get a better understanding of where to brake and when to turn.

Wimp #97

Quote from: Luponius on December 12, 2017, 06:57:47 PM

Cheers on answer, I have my rear brake on right thumb-stick down, the clutch is same stick on up, and then rider lean is left and right but that's automatic and i never bother with it.  I'll look into downloading and checking out your replay maybe i get a better understanding of where to brake and when to turn.

rear brake on thumb stick isn't bad at all, its propably better but i'm just not used to it so thats why i don't use it.

Hopefully we meet online sometime so that I can maybe give a little bit more specific advice on what to improve/change
Wimp #97

KG_03

I use rear brake very often. I try to learn using it more often in real life but now in gp bikes it helps me a lot to tighten the trajectory as rear brake unlike front one do not make the turn wider. I also have clutch and rear brake in right thumbstick. A slight kick at rear brake helps to keep good line. Today I did my best at 1:40 but with rear SC0 i can drop 2-3 seconds what will be my maximum I think. What Lupo found out and what was a good tip the low direct lean caused slower direction change and in result the lean angle was smaller.

As for bike set up. I strongry recoment small steps. One click by one. Large changes may lead to big bike instability. My current set up of RSV4 is one step harder front spring rear default. Front preload 7 rear 6. Compression front set to 13 @ front and 10 @ rear with both rebound set to 13 clicks. Standard brakes. One grade longer swing arm. Fork rake +1. Standard brakes.

The reason for this set up. Slightly higher front prevents the otb and instability caused by downhifting at hard braking. Longer wheelbase for stability in corners. Harder front suspension to prevent front diving and to smoothen out corner entry.

Italian Mod Team

@KG13

Not sure that lower "direct lean" settings makes you slower. In this video the lap is a nice 1.33.165 with direct lean at 25%.

https://www.youtube.com/v/LEQyXRoisA4

connorhall70

Quote from: KG13 on December 12, 2017, 10:59:34 PM
I use rear brake very often. I try to learn using it more often in real life but now in gp bikes it helps me a lot to tighten the trajectory as rear brake unlike front one do not make the turn wider. I also have clutch and rear brake in right thumbstick. A slight kick at rear brake helps to keep good line. Today I did my best at 1:40 but with rear SC0 i can drop 2-3 seconds what will be my maximum I think. What Lupo found out and what was a good tip the low direct lean caused slower direction change and in result the lean angle was smaller.

As for bike set up. I strongry recoment small steps. One click by one. Large changes may lead to big bike instability. My current set up of RSV4 is one step harder front spring rear default. Front preload 7 rear 6. Compression front set to 13 @ front and 10 @ rear with both rebound set to 13 clicks. Standard brakes. One grade longer swing arm. Fork rake +1. Standard brakes.

The reason for this set up. Slightly higher front prevents the otb and instability caused by downhifting at hard braking. Longer wheelbase for stability in corners. Harder front suspension to prevent front diving and to smoothen out corner entry.

maybe stop messing with setup and just practice lines... i went with stock setup on ducati and did a 1:39 or 1:38 with you today... just need to RAG IT MAATTEEEEE
GanjaGod

Meyer#12

When i had a 10 lap-ish test i managed 1.35's with more or less default setup and probably could go faster and didn't go with SC0. pretty much only gears i changed. So keep practicing guys! the setup is not what will give you 5-10seconds, only practice :) 
Meyer#12

Wimp #97

for me on the bmw s1000rr

Setup changes: TCS - 7, EBS-3 , Antiwheelie - 0, SC0 tyre and gearing changes a bit. I can put in an easy 1.33 with that. Pop in a Superpole tyre and I can do 31's. Its not in the setup ;)
Wimp #97

KG_03

@Blackheart: Good to know. I still discover things in the game. Do you play with game pad?
@ConnorHall: I set up the bike to fit my preferences and "riding style". Of course on stock bike you can make good lap times. But yeah you know ... if you don't have skills you start to blame set up or bike ;-) . Anyway on stock bike I had too many OTB when hard braking and the rear was sliding all the time I have reduced gears.

Italian Mod Team

Quote from: KG13 on December 13, 2017, 10:41:03 AM
@Blackheart: Good to know. I still discover things in the game. Do you play with game pad?
@ConnorHall: I set up the bike to fit my preferences and "riding style". Of course on stock bike you can make good lap times. But yeah you know ... if you don't have skills you start to blame set up or bike ;-) . Anyway on stock bike I had too many OTB when hard braking and the rear was sliding all the time I have reduced gears.

The 90% of the people here use a gamepad. If I remember well we all use the gpx.  :P

KG_03

I was just asking to have a reference point. Ha! anyway after playing GP Bikes I have improved a lot in MotoGP17 :-D

BOBR6 84

You can carry alot of speed into some of those corners at this track... I started off using 2nd gear trying to get stopped.. But the more laps you put in the more your confidence grows.. Until you start throwing it in using 3rd 4th gear.. Carrying alot more speed.. Then the times start coming down. Practice practice practice  8)