• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:57:33 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Revamp of the whole MOD scene

Started by Napalm Nick, January 19, 2018, 09:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Napalm Nick

Without being sarcastic I think @PiBoSo needs to use this thread to understand the monster he is creating for new players to get the game working.

Just about every new player is struggling. There is only so much help the community (even Matty) will repeat (and Matty has the patience of a Saint).

I would suggest a revamp of the whole MOD scene unless Steam Workshop is being considered for the V1 release later this year (OK I made that up).
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

doubledragoncc

I have to agree Nick, I do like the way it is but for new guys n gals it is a pain. Biggest problem is the mods are community based and NOT from Piboso him/her self(still nobody knows that one lol) If it is not Piboso's own content then he cant put it on steam leagally I think. In order that he can put content on steam it has to be HIS/HERS. Therefore the mods will have to be done as they are. I hold the track database, Matty the bikes and paints and all we can do is hope that we stay up to date and have as few errors in our files as possible.

As soon as I can I want to have a dedicated server that will hold ALL mod files that can be run by moderators and Piboso too so that it can take some of the pressure off matty doing most himself(met Matty so know its a HIM lol)

Either way Piboso can not be expected to handle mods, but maybe find a way to make it easier for new dudes n chicks lol.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

matty0l215

Revamping, Maybe. Not strictly nessecerry as the proccess (once understood) isn't that dificult, assuming modders use .pkz files. Long but not dificult, just put the files in the correct place :P

A simpler method would be to have an "Installer" or mod Manager (like Nexus mod manager or as mentioed Steam workshop) but that requires a lot of time, work, knowledge of how to even make such a thing and even more maintaining or host method.

The shit bit comes into it with the LAA Stuff but that is a game problem not a modding problem.

Most of these issues could be solved with a good tutorial. Simple English with no fluff that even poor english readers could understand.

Edit- BTW this is going a bit off topic, Mods feel free to split as a seperate disccusion.
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

Docfumi

Quote from: Napalm Nick on January 19, 2018, 09:38:23 PM
Without being sarcastic I think @PiBoSo needs to use this thread to understand the monster he is creating for new players to get the game working.

Just about every new player is struggling. There is only so much help the community (even Matty) will repeat (and Matty has the patience of a Saint).

I would suggest a revamp of the whole MOD scene unless Steam Workshop is being considered for the V1 release later this year (OK I made that up).

DUDE!!!! PiBoSo made the game not the mods so I think it has zip to do with him, perhaps he could tell
one the Forum Moderators to post a thread in regards to Modded content but it's really out of his hands.
Sorry Nick, I can not agree with you on this one mate. No disrespect to you at all.  ;)
I didn't lose the race, I ran out of laps.

Napalm Nick

January 19, 2018, 10:21:38 PM #4 Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 10:51:26 PM by Napalm Nick
Hey Doc no problem mate we all have opinions worth sharing.
But i ask you this.....what is GPB without the Mods? Even Pib says the stock stuff is terrible.

It is the developers problem - the modders only follow the required file structures. With one exception, the LAA needed to bring tracks to the 20th Century.but even this should be cured by the developer updating the tools to not need it.

Of course if we are talking V1 with revamped stock stuff and more content then I agree with you but how long away is that?

A guide would be ace but the moderators only pop in once every 6 months and who else but the new guys have the energy to do another one?

DD - my understanding is that all the Mods already here could be submitted to the Steam Workshop. That stuff is made by the community not the developer so it's OK
In fact just think if Manu is on the Piboso team creating official content but pretending to not know him. Hmm

Edited; for clarityfication
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

matty0l215

The Naming of Mods helped massivly and the .pkz file packing has also helped a lot. It is a lot simpler to organise (2 files per bike instead of poentially 100's)

Docfumi

I think we need the TOOLS in the Data Bases' as well, such as (PAINTED) in the Paint Data Base (LAA HACK) in the Track Data Base and so on. Don't get me wrong I think all of you guys do a fab job and I'm more than thankful, I'm just saying we as a community can also do a bit more.

Anyway F@%K NOOBS, in my day I had to play GPB on the Atari, lol just kidding. I love this game and forum and everyone does a top job to keep it alive.

Cheers Guys
I didn't lose the race, I ran out of laps.

Napalm Nick

Hahahaa nice!

That's a God idea I think Doc. Tools we use in the database. DD?

But ultimately, the Dev needs to simplify it all. ;)

matty0l215

Quote from: Docfumi on January 19, 2018, 10:46:25 PM
I think we need the TOOLS in the Data Bases' as well, such as (PAINTED) in the Paint Data Base (LAA HACK) in the Track Data Base and so on. Don't get me wrong I think all of you guys do a fab job and I'm more than thankful, I'm just saying we as a community can also do a bit more.

Not a bad Idea.

I have got the LAA Hack hosted on the official BikeMOD, Somwhere :P

The rest of the tools needed are available in one link from Piboso but When i get around to updating the Paint database i will add the Painted tool

doubledragoncc

I do have LAA hack in the database for tracks and other things too

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Napalm Nick

U da man!

Anyway I came back and injected my pennyworth. Now back to the lakes. Someone email me at B13b release. Ta.  ;)

h106frp

A big improvement woud be the move to a true 64bit version = no more LAA hack required and relieves the issue that is becoming obvious with the whole game being very memory restricted. The tracks showed the problem first but now the latest bikes create the same issues, nice textures need access to a lot of memory  :)