• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:04:45 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

How Realistic Should SIMs Be...

Started by uberslug, February 04, 2018, 02:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uberslug

I would like to state emphatically that my moniker was chosen because I know my place in the world. While I would like to believe I have the analytical skills to figure out how to ride fast enough to qualify for a shot at a real life Moto3 ride, I have never had the intestinal fortitude to risk catastrophic physical injury just to prove a point. So, given that I know I am slow, I pose the following existential question:

How realistic can one make a simulator?

My question originates from the experience of yesterday's Moto2 International Challenge Event. According to this table,

yesterday's front runners are considerably quicker than the best the world has to offer.

Does the inaccuracy of the current computer model lie in the length of the track, the grip of the tires, the behavior of the bike when ridden well past its real world limitations (judging by what I witnessed this seems plausible), or somewhere else?

Please note, I am neither complaining about yesterday's results, nor passing judgment on what the participants do / use in order to achieve their results. If they can go that fast given the current state of the model then all is good. This is more of an intellectual exercise since I have only been at this motorized vehicle simulator thingie for a year and would like to learn more.

Italian Mod Team

February 04, 2018, 03:48:13 PM #1 Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 03:49:45 PM by Italian Mod Team
Some people think that all mods are realistic just because are in GP Bikes. Nope, GP Bikes has good default phisics, but the good mods use completely different data for almost any parameter, not just engine map and gearbox, because are different bikes.

Just see the old hotlap event at Franciacorta, the best laptimes, were perfectly close to reality, why? Because the track has the same sizes of the real one and the mod works well.

Also Victoria is a very good test for any mods, we use it often for the laptimes test.

KG_03

Uberslug do you know maybe whats the fastest lap of the onboard player? I wouldnt count in the 3p camera laptimes.

Italian Mod Team

Quote from: KG13 on February 04, 2018, 04:54:56 PM
Uberslug do you know maybe whats the fastest lap of the onboard player? I wouldnt count in the 3p camera laptimes.

Nothing change at the physics 1p and 3p views.. SORRY,  but any 3p lap can be redone with the onboard view. Just practice. 

Anyway the difference from 1p and 3p on a very short track like Phillip Island is about 1 sec...not 5-6...

Hawk

To be honest, Uberslug, in my opinion, the riders in GPBikes and other sims/games ride well above the level they would in real life simply because if they crash they won't get hurt and can just reset and start again or continue with the race.....
Now I have always advocated for a hardcore event server "OPTION" so that when set it will mean that if a rider crashes then they are out of the race..... This will instil in riders that they must ride within their maximum ability or they will very likely crash out at some stage and lose any chance of finishing the race altogether.... This would lead to events being dominated by realistic riding characteristics from the riders rather than the kamakazi 150% riding we see right now from the faster riders because there is no fear and self preservation at work at all.

Unfortunately it seems that too many want to play a game(milestone fashion) rather than a real simulation or I think this simple server-side option would've been implemented a long time ago.... Maybe Piboso could make a comment on this? :P :)

uberslug

Quote from: KG13 on February 04, 2018, 04:54:56 PM

No, however, I do know of one participant who has claimed he is two to three seconds slower when riding first person. This would put his lap times approximately  two to three seconds faster than the current lap record.

uberslug

Quote from: Hawk on February 04, 2018, 05:03:31 PM
Unfortunately it seems that too many want to play a game(milestone fashion) rather than a real simulation or I think this simple server-side option would've been implemented a long time ago.... Maybe Piboso could make a comment on this? :P :)

Hey @PiBoSo, how about it?

Apparently Manu breaks engines on a pretty regular basis so it doesn't seem too outrageous to have bikes be unusable after an end over end 150 mph crash...

Become dust

Quote from: uberslug on February 04, 2018, 05:40:26 PM
Quote from: Hawk on February 04, 2018, 05:03:31 PM

Hey @PiBoSo, how about it?

Apparently Manu breaks engines on a pretty regular basis so it doesn't seem too outrageous to have bikes be unusable after an end over end 150 mph crash...

Id say we should take note of these great suggestions but focus on moving forward with development to a more stable platform, although i am not saying nobody should be disalowed to stare into the night sky. We could make configurations on the races so we ourselves can determan how much the race itself should resemble reality (modular damage, rider "decay" etc)

HornetMaX

Rider decay would be funky ... "Hey what's your half life ?" "5 laps, I only do sprint races".

uberslug

Quote from: HornetMaX on February 06, 2018, 07:28:13 AM
Rider decay would be funky ... "Hey what's your half life ?" "5 laps, I only do sprint races".

You must be a physicist...

HornetMaX

Quote from: uberslug on February 06, 2018, 11:50:23 AM
Quote from: HornetMaX on February 06, 2018, 07:28:13 AM

You must be a physicist...
Not even :)

Olaf Lehmann

QuoteNow I have always advocated for a hardcore event server "OPTION" so that when set it will mean that if a rider crashes then they are out of the race.....
I voted not for hardcore Option. I'm a fan of a not more 100% working bike (maybe less power of the engine: i.e. the engine loose 1% power or a missing gear or some else)for the rest of the race.
An other thing is: I'm not really satisfied with ShiftR procedere. In some cases the rider have to wait a very long time, in other cases the restart is too fast. As I said some years before. My favourite would be the crshed Driver stand up and run beside the track to the bike. If the bike is not on the track he have to bring back the bike to track by itself (no beaming to track). If the bike is on the track he have to wait for a gap in Drivers field like before. Then he have to bring the bike in the right direction without beaming.

BR Olaf