• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:51:57 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Leg Dangling.... Is it really Necessary?

Started by Hawk, September 11, 2018, 10:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

Take a look at this video guys.....

https://www.youtube.com/v/USujbKNGDJw

In my opinion this guy hosting the video doesn't really know what he's talking about and is purely spouting his own opinion and making his own theories on the subject(including his so called physics explanations. Lol!) rather than it being based on any scientific data or proof...... 
In my personal opinion, there is absolutely no reason or any relevant real advantages for a rider to dangle his leg out like they do these days. It's all utter nonsense besides looking obnoxiously UGLY too!! :P

It seems that modern riders are smoking too much wacky-baccy these days and have forgotten the elegance of riding a racing motorcycle in the process..... At least Rossi who started the whole leg-dangling trip had a good excuse in that he was shitting himself at the time! Lol!  ;D ;D

matty0l215

Regardless of the benefits or not

It makes a great blocking aid to stop those Marquez-esc wedge passes :P

If you look at how Marquez does it, he almost is riding as if he is on a supermoto, using his foot to support the bike on entry. Realistically though, you would burn through the sole of your boot before the first corner if that was true (even he floats his foot)

It doesn't bother me unless you are sticking your leg out at 90 degrees in a blatant effort to stop a block pass. That's just being a dick (looking at Leon Haslam in this years BSB, twats got his leg off the bike more than its on :P)
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

h106frp

Maybe they are just worried about accidentally operating the quickshifter  ;)

Hawk

Quote from: h106frp on September 11, 2018, 10:41:45 PM
Maybe they are just worried about accidentally operating the quickshifter  ;)

Love it! ROFL!!  ;D ;D

Quote from: matty0l215 on September 11, 2018, 10:31:27 PM
Regardless of the benefits or not

It makes a great blocking aid to stop those Marquez-esc wedge passes :P

If you look at how Marquez does it, he almost is riding as if he is on a supermoto, using his foot to support the bike on entry. Realistically though, you would burn through the sole of your boot before the first corner if that was true (even he floats his foot)

It doesn't bother me unless you are sticking your leg out at 90 degrees in a blatant effort to stop a block pass. That's just being a dick (looking at Leon Haslam in this years BSB, twats got his leg off the bike more than its on :P)

Personally I'd just plough straight through any legs that were being stuck out.... Serve them right if they got their legs broke in the process; a high price to pay for being part of the in-crowd. Lol! :P ;D

Thing is, it wouldn't surprise me if someone started sticking their arm straight out before long and saying it helps balance the bike into the corners; you could probably get away with doing that with all this electronic wizardry they have these days..... I hope Rossi isn't reading this! LOL!  ;D ;D

Warlock

It happened to me once in real life that, braking hard, the inertia kept my foot off the footpeg when i tried to reposition it after the downshift,.. at a level that i couldnt put it back on the footpeg . I could be quite tired by the time and the effort to put it back wasn't worth lol  ;D. Could be my foot slipped of the peg , but in any case the result was a proper leg dangling, and surprisingly i felt it comfortable. Once the speed is reduced quite a bit was much easier to put the foot back in to position.

Also when you are at the limit and you think you are about to crash you unconsciously put the foot on the floor (not a good idea btw, but it happen) Remember Rossi - Sete at jerez ....first mini leg dangling?  :P

https://www.youtube.com/v/mUFD7RE6PQk

aguy0523

A lot of these riders also practice with flat track, super motard and dirt bike. I developed the habit too when I was riding dirt bikes. It does affect the feeling of the dirt bike. Gives you a bit more confidence turning in too. I started road racing long after dirt bikes though, so it didn't cross over for me. On dirt track it may matter, but in road racing, it's just a psychological thing.

Ryanoh4

"there is absolutely no reason" I would respond, it makes me feel comfortable. Is that not what they spend the whole weekend doing? getting comfortable with the bike and setting? I have always preferred Lorenzo's style personally but even he at Misano dangled a leg  :o

Hawk

Quote from: aguy0523 on September 12, 2018, 02:07:59 AM
A lot of these riders also practice with flat track, super motard and dirt bike. I developed the habit too when I was riding dirt bikes. It does affect the feeling of the dirt bike. Gives you a bit more confidence turning in too. I started road racing long after dirt bikes though, so it didn't cross over for me. On dirt track it may matter, but in road racing, it's just a psychological thing.

I used to do sand racing many years ago before I did road racing and it never even entered my mind to want to use the same technique simply because the reasons for sticking your leg out in sand/dirt racing is totally different and doesn't relate to anything needed for road racing at all.... The only time I've stuck my leg out when road racing is when I've shit myself going into a corner and thought I wasn't going to make it; same reason Rossi did it which started all this nonsense off. Lol! ::) ;D
I agree that dirt/sand racing learns you about balance and shifting weight effects on a bike, but dangling the leg in road racing is, as you stated, purely psychological..... In a way it just reflects the ongoing fashion these days of copying someone else(a celebrity or star in most cases these days) until it becomes an accepted way to do things even though there is absolutely real reason to be doing it.  :P :)

KG_03

Well said Hawk. Thats exactly what I think too :-)

Blackheart

September 15, 2018, 02:23:12 PM #9 Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 02:27:40 PM by Blackheart
https://youtu.be/RAw-Njbcygc

Sorry no eng sub its an old vid by Naska... but any italian rider has a different opinion about leg dangling; "Balance, trend, instinct, etc..."

For sure it is usefull with big bikes. But some very fast riders (Melandri) do not need it. So...  ::)

EDIT: thx KG fixed the link  ;)

KG_03

link is not working but I think I have seen this video. Naska is great, gives great tips. I love this guy.

Blackheart

Quote from: KG_03 on September 15, 2018, 02:24:54 PM
link is not working but I think I have seen this video. Naska is great, gives great tips. I love this guy.

Now all new Naska's vids have ENG sub

Also the Savadori channel is great and with eng sub (professional rider and he is also a big friend of Naska): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8ZvOSO_zMGF2yooeiUC8KQ

;)

Hawk

Quote from: Blackheart on September 15, 2018, 02:23:12 PM
https://youtu.be/RAw-Njbcygc

Sorry no eng sub its an old vid by Naska... but any italian rider has a different opinion about leg dangling; "Balance, trend, instinct, etc..."

For sure it is usefull with big bikes. But some very fast riders (Melandri) do not need it. So...  ::)

EDIT: thx KG fixed the link  ;)

Italians also obsessed with "Scooter" racing.......  What else needs be said! Haha!  (Just a bit of banter mate.)  :P ;D ;D

Blackheart

Quote from: Hawk on September 15, 2018, 02:38:13 PM
Italians also obsessed with "Scooter" racing.......  What else needs be said! Haha!  (Just a bit of banter mate.)  :P ;D ;D

You are not too far...

Misano winners:

Moto3: Dalla Porta
Moto2: Bagnaia
MotoGP: Dovizioso

Scooters are not so bad  8)

aguy0523

Quote from: KG_03 on September 15, 2018, 02:00:43 PM
Well said Hawk. Thats exactly what I think too :-)

What am I, invisible? I just said the same thing 2 posts above. Lmfao... unbelievable.