• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

New Game Engine

Started by DidietXFuera, December 25, 2018, 11:46:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DidietXFuera

Does Piboso have plans to replace the gp-bikes engine? for example, switching to Unity or Unreal engine.
GP-Bikes INDONESIA
Like GP-Bikes Indonesia Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gpbindo/

Hawk

Quote from: DidietXFuera on December 25, 2018, 11:46:20 AM
Does Piboso have plans to replace the gp-bikes engine? for example, switching to Unity or Unreal engine.

It has been suggested before by the community, but as far as I'm aware there has been no real response to the suggestion, so I'd take that as a "No".

But I'd personally definitely give a +1 to moving his projects over to UE4; a no brainer deal especially now epic now have their own online store at much better rates than Steam, and also includes the 5% royalties for that too so UE4 is just getting a better and better deal all around for developers.

doubledragoncc

+1000

Its not just the graphical improvement but how the engine works for input and response to it. UE4 is also kinda expected by gamers of today. But can pib do it without having to start everything again. Its a big thing to ask for. In reallity he has done an amazing jobe useing OpenGL

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Hawk

Quote from: doubledragoncc on December 25, 2018, 02:46:43 PM
+1000

Its not just the graphical improvement but how the engine works for input and response to it. UE4 is also kinda expected by gamers of today. But can pib do it without having to start everything again. Its a big thing to ask for. In reallity he has done an amazing jobe useing OpenGL

DD

If Pib said he was looking to switch his projects over and will therefore be no updates for a year so he could sort it all out then I'd be happy with that, though I'm sure some wouldn't.... Always those that don't appreciate how long it would take and the work involved in switching over to a new engine. But I'd be happy to wait for the big improvements, especially online stability and the visuals.  ;) ;D

Even be happy to pay again for a UE4 version myself.

KG_03

Yes same here. Still there are questions and doubts. First of all will He want to do it.
Second, will the engines allow the physics simulations like we have now.
Third. Is it worth time and money?
Forth. What if BikeSIM experience is better and GP Bikes would loose all community? As past past modders and maybe silent observers of the project they can copy the good ideas from GP Bikes and implement into much better game, which is finished.
Fifth. What is the future of GP bikes? Is it endless project, whats the point of constant development that might never end? Is there any plan for this project?
So many questions, still a lot of work. Game is great and is no doubt no one at this moment can match the simulation level of GP Bikes.

Hawk

Quote from: KG_03 on December 25, 2018, 11:07:40 PM
Yes same here. Still there are questions and doubts. First of all will He want to do it.
Second, will the engines allow the physics simulations like we have now.
Third. Is it worth time and money?
Forth. What if BikeSIM experience is better and GP Bikes would loose all community? As past past modders and maybe silent observers of the project they can copy the good ideas from GP Bikes and implement into much better game, which is finished.
Fifth. What is the future of GP bikes? Is it endless project, whats the point of constant development that might never end? Is there any plan for this project?
So many questions, still a lot of work. Game is great and is no doubt no one at this moment can match the simulation level of GP Bikes.

In answer to your questions quoted above(just my opinions of course):

1: I doubt he will want to do it..... I suspect Pib is an old school indie-dev who likes to do everything himself? I suspect he will feel it's sacrilege to use anothers game/entertainment sdk to develop his projects, but I could be wrong.... I hope I'm wrong?
To me, using UE4 for development would be no different than using 3ds max or Maya to develop the 3D models used in Piboso's projects, but some indie devs seem to be living in the stone age still it seems?  :)

2: Of course.... If you can programme it you can do it, no limits..... Might even be able to drop a lot of the current physics code into the engine and maybe more, but would take a lot of planning to do it and tie everything in with the additional capabilities of the UE4 engine. Might even be a good time to programme certain things better than he did previously? I suspect there are parts that Pib would programme differently if he had the chance?

3: I personally think so, especially if the community would be willing to buy again on release for the big improvements gained?

4: Yet to be known about BSE and wholly harder than people think to get this right(just look at Pibs signature to get the meaning of what I'm talking about).  ;)

5: Only pib can attempt to answer that one.

Again... Just my thoughts.  :)

connorhall70

or just at least move to steam so we can have workshop and automatic updates...
GanjaGod

Hawk

Quote from: GP500 on December 27, 2018, 03:29:50 PM
Unreal 4 has a frequency limit that is a potential issue for simracers, it would be a downgrade from current and popular titles. If Unity doesn't have that it's a point in favor.
There's no point talking about engine changes, it is all up to the developer.

UE4 frequency limit? Could you elaborate please mate?  ;)

Hawk

Quote from: GP500 on December 29, 2018, 03:07:42 PM
Quote from: Hawk on December 27, 2018, 04:48:14 PM
Quote from: GP500 on December 27, 2018, 03:29:50 PM
Unreal 4 has a frequency limit that is a potential issue for simracers, it would be a downgrade from current and popular titles. If Unity doesn't have that it's a point in favor.
There's no point talking about engine changes, it is all up to the developer.

UE4 frequency limit? Could you elaborate please mate?  ;)

Physics rate, about 3-6 times less than current titles from iRacing to Assetto Corsa to rFactor 2.

This is very interesting..... So how have you come to that conclusion? :)

bison160

Last I knew, iracings was extremely low and they said they would have to do a complete overhaul to up the rates to current standards. DK does have a somewhat convincing articles that say it's not as big of a deal as some make it out go be.

As far as UE4, isnt the new Assetto built on it? I haven't tried it so cant really comment on the physics, but the old Assetto had a pretty good feeling tire model, so if they thought UE4 was as good or better, how bad can it be?

Hawk

As far as I'm aware, any iterations, cycles, FPS rates, etc, etc, surely depend on the design of the application code implemented by the game-developer themselves?

poumpouny

UE4 is only a graphic engine, the physic is done the same as always on C language, you may talk about some nvidia physic preset such as "Physx" or something like this when you talk about frequency limit etc ....

Hawk

December 31, 2018, 09:40:57 AM #12 Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 09:43:46 AM by Hawk
Quote from: poumpouny on December 31, 2018, 08:33:41 AM
UE4 is only a graphic engine, the physic is done the same as always on C language, you may talk about some nvidia physic preset such as "Physx" or something like this when you talk about frequency limit etc ....

+1

Though I wouldn't categorise UE4 as "only a graphic engine", it's an SDK that can be used for a whole variety of applications; but totally agree with you about the rest of your statement mate.  :)

It would make it easier to respond to GP500's initial statement if he would explain where he got his information from cause personally I think he is misguided on that one.... But I'm open to be corrected.  :)

poumpouny

I mean GP bikes would only benefit UE4 Graphic engine (probably netcode also) but the rest should stay the same as now .... !

Tube91

Bike Sim would probably take the lead... sad.
http://www.bikesimxp.com/