• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:57:49 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

VR: What's Best

Started by Myst1cPrun3, February 05, 2019, 10:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myst1cPrun3

My PC has been due an upgrade for a while now, and is finally giving up, resulting in me wanting to go with a high end vr capable machine.
As a result I was wondering what VR headsets are compatible with GPB, and which ones are best? Was going to go with a Vive, but the oculus seems to be the most common one for GPB?

doubledragoncc

I use Oculus too and love it. Work together with a guy who is a VR tech and he has tried all and still finds oculus best for GPBikes.

Your gonna love it whatever you get thanks to Piboso

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Myst1cPrun3

That's good to know, will deffo have a look into it cheers   :)

teeds

Not sure if you might want to get into VR room-scale stuff too, but if you do I'd personally consider something other than the Rift. But as said the Rift is probably the best if you only want to use VR in Pibosos titles, or what's generally called a seated experience. If money's no object there are now better HMDs than the Rift for GPB and any game but they're way, way more expensive.

And yes, it's really really good... as long you don't puke  8)

doubledragoncc

Wonderd when youd pop by teeds, hows you chap?

Got to admit Gren from Holovis converted me and real happy to have got my rift.

As long as you close your eyes if you crash it aint too bad puke wise lol. If on a sit on system like me then dont try standing up right away after riding either, I nearly fell of me CBR lol

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

teeds

I'm all good ta DD, you got your VR legs all sorted then? Tried MXBikes in VR yet? That is a true test of your VR durability lol  ;)

I struggle to get on this site these days, it's just so slow I give up waiting sometimes  :(

Myst1cPrun3

I was looking at a Vive/Vive pro, and if it's worth the extra money. I'd probably only ever play sit down titles, but it'd be nice to have the option to play others. But the main thing would be GPB, and stuff like rbr, rfactor 2 iracing etc, which the oculus seems to have good reviews for

teeds

If you compare the Vive and Rift they have very similar resolutions, but the Rift wins for seated stuff (which sounds like what you will be doing), as it's cheaper and more comfy than the Vive.

If you have the money though (like over 3 times the price of the Rift for the full setup!) the Vive Pro I find both more comfy and has a higher res, but the FOV is the same as Rift and Vive. It's also worth bearing in mind to that more VR headsets are nearing general release with higher res and FOV than even the Vive Pro, Pimax for example is getting some good reviews.

What country are you in Myst1cPrun3?

Myst1cPrun3

Yeah, I was also wondering where mixed reality headsets like the lenovo stuff comes into it as they seem to be decent bang for the buck, and also seem to be easier on the hardware requirements too, but it seems they're not optimized for gaming just yet.

As for me I'm in UK/England, I'm guessing the afore mentioned 'Primax' doesn't ship here easily?

teeds

Pimax are shipping to early backers now, not sure how long it'll be before it's in shops or how much it'll cost yet. Valve and HP along with others are working on new VR headsets too, which look good, but are further from release.

I asked about your location because in the USA and a few other places, but not Europe, you can get a Samsung HMD which is a similar standard to Vive Pro but much cheaper, plus you don't need any kind of sensors as it uses inside out tracking (this tracks with 2 cameras on the front of the HMD).  The "mixed reality headsets" you mention are VR HMDs, like the Vive, but based on a Microsoft standard (WMR - Windows Mixed Reality), but reading reviews the Samsung is the only one worth having from that range so far.

If you're in the UK, anywhere near Suffolk?

Myst1cPrun3

Ahh, I did see a 4k primax vr headset on Amazon UK, which is quite interesting, but not the 8k one I seem to have read up on, which according to their website, is going to be cheaper than the Vive pro by about £300

Sadly I'm not near Suffolk, I'm fairly close to Manchester int good ol' nwest

teeds

Shame, could have done you a demo  8)

Myst1cPrun3

Damn, a demo would have been awesome, just to see whats what.   :(

I was also wondering if there's any benefit to buying a specially built pc oriented for simulators, or if a high end gaming PC would be fine for it? The pretty old gaming pc I have now does a decent enough job, but I'm just curious if there's any benefit to simulator PCs for GPB.

teeds

February 12, 2019, 08:28:43 PM #13 Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 08:30:53 PM by teeds
Not sure what the difference between a specially built pc oriented for simulators, or a high end gaming PC would be tbh? You just need a good CPU, plenty of RAM and a sweet GPU  :)

Myst1cPrun3

Quote from: teeds on February 12, 2019, 08:28:43 PM
Not sure what the difference between a specially built pc oriented for simulators, or a high end gaming PC would be tbh? You just need a good CPU, plenty of RAM and a sweet GPU  :)

The difference has always confused me tbh, as I'm thinking one that's great at one will be decent at the other? Only thing I can think of is that Sims utilise hardware in slightly different ways to most games due to their physics etc? Anyway 32gb of Ram and a 2080ti should be good enough for most games, and if it's not I'm going to flip a table