• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Request - absolute camera position in VR

Started by Gibbon, February 01, 2019, 08:15:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gibbon

February 01, 2019, 08:15:38 AM Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 08:26:44 AM by Gibbon
Hi,

I recently got myself into GP Bikes VR.
The potential is huge however I would like to make a request.

Would it be possible to have a parameter allowing us to set the camera into an "absolute" position.
The head movements would be in control of the cameras at all times.

Example:
When I'm using a VR heaset (seated on a chair) and I brake in GPB, the camera is moving as my head would do in real life even though my head didn't move because I am comfortably sitting.

In this case, I would like the camera to follow my non-motion and stay "fixed".

It should be pretty much the same for turns.

I would like to use this parameter in a motion simulator.

Thank you.

teeds

There are 3 views you can use, one of them is fixed and does not move as you describe, did you find this? There is still rider movement along with the bike leaning and pitching but no rider movement due to that momentum or your leans inputs.

Also any pics of your motion rig would be good to see  :)

Gibbon

I will check more in detail then. Thank you.
The pictures will come shortly.

Marcel

February 19, 2019, 09:12:02 PM #3 Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 09:17:36 PM by Marcel
Hi,

I think I know what Gibbon means, when the bike leans into the corner the camera perspective stays horizontal instead of leaning with the bike. I would really like to try a perspective that is locked to the bike and leans with it so the in-game bike and handlebar doesn't move away to the side and stays centered. I tried some things in the files already with mode=1, tried different settings in-game and all perspectives but I couldn't get such a perspective. I would like to make a Mixed Reality video at some point but for this I need a static perspective where only the head motion I do changes the perspective relative to the bike. Also it's quite hard to recognize how far the bike is leaning already when you are looking ahead the road because the camera stays the same all the time and also the bike is moving out of the perspective.

Gibbon

February 20, 2019, 08:26:17 AM #4 Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 09:19:14 AM by Gibbon
Yes you got the point.
To be honest I was inspired by your Mixed Reality videos on Youtube with car simulation, they are great.
I have no idea if such a "view" is a lot of work for PiBoSo. I hope not.

Gibbon

February 20, 2019, 10:32:17 AM #5 Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 01:13:04 PM by Gibbon
Here is a little sketch I made. It's intended to represent what should be the camera position according to riding phase if the player is not moving.

In grey is the virtual rider.

How I see it:

Hypothesis 1: The player is seated on a chair.

Straight line -> the view is fixed.
If the player doesn't move, the camera doesn't move.
Leaning backward/forward requires an action from the player.

Turn -> Option A, B, D or E

I don't have enough experience with VR and/or my custom controller to be sure of the good option.
At first sight, I would say B or E.

Hypothesis 2: The player is using a full motion simulator
Straight line -> the view is fixed.
If the player doesn't move, the camera doesn't move.
Leaning backward/forward requires a action from the player.

Turn -> Option C
The player has full control of the camera at all time.

PiBoSo

February 20, 2019, 03:51:07 PM #6 Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 03:54:54 PM by PiBoSo

The default camera position for the second onboard view is "Option B".
It is possible to change it into "Option A" using the "Tilt" slider in GP Bikes -> Settings -> Simulation -> Cockpit View
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

Gibbon

Thank you for your answer.

Ultimately, After doing some tests, I think the best solution (for my application) will probably be solution E.
But for now the main issue I have is the VR user view being "overwritten" by the virtual rider view.

Here is another sketch:

Now, the VR camera follows the red line. I would be glad to have the possibility to use the green line with the Oculus.

PiBoSo

Quote from: Gibbon on March 02, 2019, 10:01:07 AM
Thank you for your answer.

Ultimately, After doing some tests, I think the best solution (for my application) will probably be solution E.
But for now the main issue I have is the VR user view being "overwritten" by the virtual rider view.

Here is another sketch:

Now, the VR camera follows the red line. I would be glad to have the possibility to use the green line with the Oculus.

The second onboard view should be fixed to the bike.
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

Gibbon

Yes it is.
But the point of the bike on which the camera is fixed is also in motion relative to the ground.
What I mean is that the "reference point" for the camera should be to a fixed distance to the ground.

For example a good reference point could be the point of contact between the front tire and the ground as mentioned on the sketch. Then it would only be an issue during wheeling.

Gibbon

Interesting article by Oculus:

VR Sickness, The Rift, and How Game Developers Can Help

I think the thing I'm talking about is the highlighted one:

I hope it makes sense.

Gibbon

March 06, 2019, 07:48:57 PM #11 Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 08:15:30 AM by Gibbon
Partly SOLVED!

From profile.ini documentation:

Quote from: PiBoSo on February 19, 2017, 11:02:38 PM

[view]
mode = 1

To select the "alternative" mode for the onboard views ( pointing to the direction of motion and pitch relative to the ground rather than the bike ).

My bad. I didn't think to check this documentation.

For VR users (experiencing motion sickness or not) I highly recommend this parameter. It is really a game changer for me.
My only request now concerns the Option E camera.

kevinmk7

that was definitely a good find ,the only thing i would like is something like real head motion that allows for the eye's to be able to compensate for the bounce like our eye's do in real life or a lock to horizon , in  vr our eye's get hammered with vibration similar to shaky eye's

Myst1cPrun3

For me I use a mixture of option B and D, it's kind of half way between. After using
a TrackIR before I got VR it just seems more natural. For me, options C, D and E are unrealistic, and nauseating, as when I lean a bike, even without leaning my body, my entire body tilts with the bike not staying virtical. 
I don't run any tilt as that feels unnatural again to me, as I'm straight in my chair

noext

Quote from: Gibbon on March 06, 2019, 07:48:57 PMPartly SOLVED!

From profile.ini documentation:

Quote from: PiBoSo on February 19, 2017, 11:02:38 PM[view]
mode = 1

To select the "alternative" mode for the onboard views ( pointing to the direction of motion and pitch relative to the ground rather than the bike ).

My bad. I didn't think to check this documentation.

For VR users (experiencing motion sickness or not) I highly recommend this parameter. It is really a game changer for me.
My only request now concerns the Option E camera.

i have done that ( because it is what i want like you ), now its like i m a passager on the bike my view is 2 meter after the seat 3 meter in the air