• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Bongeeh MS01 - Custom Controller Project

Started by Gibbon, March 03, 2019, 04:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gibbon

March 03, 2019, 04:15:13 PM Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 10:31:24 AM by Gibbon
Hi,

It has been a long time since I want to build a proper controller for GP Bikes.
I create this thread to share with you what has been done and the next steps of development.
The controller I want to build should allow riders to control more realistically the different bikes by using Steering Torque as an input and Bike Angle as an output.

Here are the main characteristics:

SteeringDirect Steer Torque
Front BrakePressure sensor input
ThrottleFly-by-wire quick throttle
Rear BrakeThumb lever
ClutchNo clutch at the moment
RollingBike lean angle to drive a Servomotor
GearsPush buttons switch

Further development:
  • Controller to be implemented on full size structure
  • Foot pegs controls (Gears and rear brake)
  • Clutch implementation (if necessary)
  • Launch control feature (experimental)

I will update this post regularly.

03/03/2019: Project introduction

Please keep in mind that the controller is only a prototype for the moment. The parts and design are subject to change. The servomotor is obviously undersized.

Quick video showing the Rolling Angle used as an input for the the servo motor.

On the video the bike is controlled via a Bluetooth keyboard as the main purpose is to show the servomotor driven by the bike angle.
The data is received via UDP and sent via Wi-Fi to the microcontroller. An Ethernet connection will be probably used in the future.
The servo control program code is still "under construction" for obvious safety reasons.
For now:
  • if the bike crash the servo goes to its initial value at a given speed
  • angle limit is +/- 60 degrees
To be done:
  • limit rotation speed
  • other safety issues
As soon as the handlebar will be mounted on the structure, I will post a video showing how the Direct Steering Torque works. For the moment, calibration is needed.

The next big task is the sizing and selection of the the servomotor.

23/03/2019 : Rig and Direct Steering Torque introduction

First version of the rig made of aluminium profiles.

The rig will probably be redesigned in the future. For now, I need something convenient I can easily modify. Stability plates will be added.

Steering Torque input:
For the moment the handlebar is fixed on the rig and has no DOF.
A first "rough" calibration has been made to set the basis. It is a good starting point to evaluate the needed input.

Quick video showing Direct Steering Torque with fixed handlebar.

I put two LEDs to give a basic preview of how the torque is applied. Those LEDs turn on when torque is applied; the brightness is also relative to the torque. It's not really representative but I hope it makes it easier to visualize.

Feedback from my side so far:
  • At low speed the bike is out of control. I need to understand how to handle it as it seems that I will need to modify my software for this specific condition.
  • Direct Steer Torque mode works fine until the bike reach a "high" lean angle. As soon as you release the amount of torque on the handlebar, the virtual rider stops to lean left/right and it leads to a crash.
  • Surprisingly, using the "normal" steering mode is really intuitive using torque input. I'm looking forward to try it with the servomotor installed.

Next tasks are:
  • mounting the servo on the rig.
  • upgrade the controller (new material to increase rigidity)
  • add seat and tank on the rig

speedfr

Nice build.
Will come back to look at evolution. Good work there !

In my own project, i'll be using that motor - you can have it in 20 N.m or 30 N.m.
It's commonly used in car sim Direct Drive. I have the SimuCube but, all in all, it cost some money, so time pass by, and i try not to get angry...  :-X

https://www.simracingbay.com/product/mige-osw-kit/

Missing Gp500 (Microprose)  Testing EDTracker Pro on YT   R7-3800X/32Go/RX6800/1440p/Full WC

Gibbon

March 04, 2019, 07:07:45 AM #2 Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 07:09:59 AM by Gibbon
Indeed, car sim servomotors will be powerful enough for this application but I'm affraid it could be oversized.
As the rolling angle is not really a "Force Feedback", I believe the needed Torque should be less important (also less pricey).

Myst1cPrun3

Quote from: Gibbon on March 04, 2019, 07:07:45 AM
Indeed, car sim servomotors will be powerful enough for this application but I'm affraid it could be oversized.
As the rolling angle is not really a "Force Feedback", I believe the needed Torque should be less important (also less pricey).
The only way I'd justify using a dd motor for gpb is if the bars use a quick release, (such as the q1r) and you plan to use the motor for car SIM racing aswell

Gibbon

March 22, 2019, 11:03:13 PM #4 Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 10:31:52 AM by Gibbon
First post updated:
  • Rig and Direct Steering Torque introduction
Go to first post

Chris_Beeves

Cool rig!
What kind of software are you using? What do you think is the problem with low speed steering?

I'm planning on building a similar controller using an Arduino, but haven't gotten that far yet.

//Chris
I had to try..

Gibbon

Hi,
I'm using Arduino software and C#.
I am not sure about low speed yet but I'm investigating.

poupou59890

Hi,

I am planning to make a custom rig too, for now it will be fix with direct steer mode = 2 and a t300rs FFb wheel and motorcycle parts for everything, but yeah I would like to try to lean my rig in accordance with the lean angle from gpbikes I asked my elec engine suppliers for more information but torque seems to be high and so the price ... so I would like to know if you already find your sero in order to run your rig ? And also how do you manage to receive realtime lean angle to arduino and convert it to your servo (the big one) but your project is completly and I hope we will see more videos soon :)

Gibbon

Hi,
In my project, the rig is not moving. Only the handlebar.
It may seem ''funnier'' to have a moving rig but from a physical point of view I realized it is not the best solution.
The data is transfered via UDP and processed to the servo.

poupou59890

HI,

Oh Sorry, I Thought that you will use same systeme (control lean angle) for the full rig I did not understand that you will rotate only the handlebars according to the lean angle, but that's cool too :) Ok So from now I need to learn a little bit how to communicate with UDP etc :) I am a mechanical guy but electronics and electrics are not my thing lol But your système is awesome and hope to see cool vids soon :)

Well Done :)