• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:06:40 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

incredible mixed reality video

Started by poupou59890, April 10, 2019, 02:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poupou59890

Hi,

I am planning to finish my simrig to play GP bikes and I am not sure yet what to use to steer, counter steering (hardcore mode = 2) is what I want but all videos I saw the angle was to important to "feel" something real. but Just now I saw this video, the force feedback seems to react exactly as the real one, i am not sure yet how his system works but seems interesting to share. Can't wait to use my sim on VR. thanks

This guy and his system are awesome :)

Gibbon

poumpouny

Wow, i think this guy is on forum, i don't remember his name but this video just blow my mind. and he is very good with Hardcore mode !!!!

passerBy

Yes, he is on this forum and I hope he is going to release another video soon enough. As expected, direct drive wheels might actually be even better for direct steering in GB Bikes than they are for car sims (DS2, of course).

But if you give it enough time and if it's a heavier bike (like a liter bike), it's not impossible to perform ok even with a Logitech wheel.

passerBy

In fact, just a while ago I found a kart track and that made me wondering if riding a WSBK bike there was at all possible with direct steering...

While the beginning is slow, keep in mind I had absolutely no idea what to expect of the track when I started that run. After the first lap (if you can call it that) I started going faster.
I'm actually surprised I didn't drop it on the first lap. My first performance in Automobilista with one of the Caterhams on a kart track was much worse in terms of keeping it on the track.

doubledragoncc

I think he is Marcel?

Brilliant work and video. Best Ive ever seen.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

passerBy

Yes, that's Marcel. It would be best if you told him yourself, DD ;) I'm not sure if he's monitoring this thread.

HornetMaX

Quote from: passerBy on April 16, 2019, 11:01:11 AMYes, he is on this forum and I hope he is going to release another video soon enough. As expected, direct drive wheels might actually be even better for direct steering in GB Bikes than they are for car sims (DS2, of course).

DS2, as expected, is the way to go for FFB. I can't even remebber the number of times a newcomer arrives, asks for advice on an FFB rig, one suggests DS2 and the guy ends up saying "I'll do DS1 because <insert wrong explanation here>".

BTW, it would be nice if Marcel could put a parts list (with approx. price of each part).
I'm sure some would be tempted.

passerBy

Quote from: HornetMaX on April 20, 2019, 10:19:44 AMDS2, as expected, is the way to go for FFB. I can't even remebber the number of times a newcomer arrives, asks for advice on an FFB rig, one suggests DS2 and the guy ends up saying "I'll do DS1 because <insert wrong explanation here>".

BTW, it would be nice if Marcel could put a parts list (with approx. price of each part).
I'm sure some would be tempted.
Yes, it makes me wish DS2 was included in the options while DS1 would only be possible to activate with a line in the config file.
By the way, I didn't know people choosing the wrong control method was such a common problem. That might have something to do with Klax' videos :) In that vein, maybe I'm actually doing a disservice to DS2 with my videos... But at least I've gotten much better recently. Well, my intention was to show that given enough practice anyone can learn direct steering. I guess the majority of people took the message the wrong way: "if you pick DS1, you'll be fast like this, but if you pick DS2, you'll be crashing a lot like this"... I simply wanted to show that it takes a lot of hard work to get the desired result, yet it's ultimately achievable.

I'm still waiting for Marcel to do that too (and for his next video). It seems like it's going to take a while... Also, he's having a problem with the FFB. He uses a direct drive wheel, and that thing gets pretty violent in GPB. I really hope Piboso will implement some kind of a filter or maybe will even revise the feedback so that it's not as peaky.

Maybe Thrustmasters are better suited for this, after all? I wish I could try one and see.

passerBy

By the way, I suppose my kart circuit video probably looked too slow (unless you know what to expect of a narrow, twisty course over a sloped terrain in direct steering), so here's a more "normal" video. It also proves you can direct steer the default M2 too, even though anything less than a liter is usually tricky to control:

Hopefully, looks more like it.

Myst1cPrun3

Direct Steer sure does look interesting, and I do have a thrustmaster wheel, however I would be doing a disservice to the DS2 option should I attempt this, as for some reason I seem to have more trouble getting the inputs right when using a wheel, as my brain just doesn't compute what I'm seeing lol.
I guess playing MotoGP games, and other gamepad options since MotoGP 4 would limit my ability to change, But I should imagine it'd be an interesting one to see, especially if there's someone that can get the best of them both, for a decent comparison.

passerBy

It would be really interesting to have your feedback on how it feels on the Thrustmaster wheel. But if you are using it to control GPB in default steering, I believe learning DS could greatly mess up your usual steering. That is the same reason I never switch to the default steering while using the wheel. If, on the other hand, you mostly use a joystick or a gamepad with GPB, I'd say absolutely go for it! I personally have no problem either using the keyboard or my HOTAS system with other bike games, because these are very different approaches to controlling the bike. With the wheel I just imagine I'm pushing on the handlebars, with the joystick it's like I'm tilting the bike itself.

You just need to burn the philosophy of counter-steering into the back of your mind. A bike turns only when it runs while leaned over. Once it's leaned, it tries to fall inside. You have to catch it and maintain the angle by turning the wheel (and the bars) inside a bit. However. To achieve that lean you mostly have to turn the bars outside first: the front wheel goes to the outside from under you and you fall inside with the bike. At very low speeds counter-steering is almost unnoticeable and you can also affect the leaning a lot with your own body weight. At higher speeds you'll be able to see it clearly. At even higher speeds gyro effects come into action.

Direct steering will teach you a lot about motorcycle handling. Not to mention it's extremely addictive when you are finally getting it right. Also, I'm sure your wheel will make a much better job of presenting you with the forces involved.
By the way, I had a long history with bike sims, starting with the SBK2000/2001 titles and GP500. But it wasn't until I tried direct steering when I started to finally realize how exactly do you handle a motorcycle and why does it behave the way it does.

Myst1cPrun3

For me the current way I'm doing things is all I've ever known, and I have very little real world motorcycling experience, (Just the UK's basic learner test, (CBT) and the entry level 'On Track' lesson/experience at the Ron Haslam Race school, in which I got nowhere near both my limit and the bikes limits in the few laps I did), so I am not exactly in a position as to say whats realistic and whats not.

I can only say what feels 'natural' if that makes any sense, and the current way I have everything setup with my gamepad and VR feels a little more natural than pedals and a steering wheel, certainly for bikes. (I find it hard to get everything co-ordinated with bikes using a steering wheel as my brain doesn't enjoy the mind f**k of car inputs and a motorbike on screen lol.)

In the future, I would like to put a handle bar system on a quick release and pop it on the thrustmaster wheel, but that is a long way away yet, as I've got both a new car to buy, and (Hopefully) saving for real world bike racing at some-point soon

poupou59890

Hi evryone,

On my Rig I will use a quick release on a T300rs, for now I made some test on my G25 but the FFB is way too horrible to control the M2 properly right away. so I need to learn how to use DSA to drive smoothly and not crashing each turn or even in a straight line...at low speed is very difficult ... but For now I put my handlebars with full commands on the G25 and I do not finish the chassis so the position is a little bit tricky so it won't help to have good feeling on the bike so I will finish my chassis first or at least something to put the right commands on the right place and start my tests and my learning on the DSA mode.Then when I WIll have the money, I will buy the t300rs to have better FFB abd better deadzone in order to have better feelings I Hope...

I am riding bike for 5 years everyday (cbr 600 rr) not on track yet but I would like to have same feeling on the sim than my relabike (not all of course but at least the steering and this video makes me feel that it is almost possible.

Chris_Beeves

This video made me ditch my load-cell diy handlebars project and go force feedback!

Hats off for the way Piboso implemented force feedback in this game! With DS2 and my modified crappy Logitech driving force wheel I can really feel the potential! Can't wait to try it with a better unit!
I had to try..