• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:59:07 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

GPBikes custom controller on TS500RS base?

Started by MultiCOOLFRESH, May 02, 2019, 11:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MultiCOOLFRESH

Hi there, long time no see.

Just a quick question: ist it possible to make a custom GPB controller with the TS500RS base? Maybe some of you have some experience with that, since I don't ;D

Oh and second: do you think it would be possible for me, an complete noob, to do such work?

Personally I like the idea of a real controller and since I want to have FFB and do this on a budget ( :P )
I thought using my current base would be quite the idea. Despite this, I really want to reignite my love with the game, since I am currently done with most of my A-levels and the needed changes in the game to make the old mods work are minimal.

MCF
Heeeeeey Hoooooo <br /><br />

Chris_Beeves

Welcome back!!
( I'm new here, but anyway it feels nice that you found your way here again ;) )

It depends on how much you want to mod it!
What do you plan on doing? Full controls?

I just built a controller around a driving force GT wheel for "proof of concept". I'm using an Arduino Leonardo and different sensors for buttons and controls, and the wheel only for steering. For now I just put the handlebar on top of the wheel with Velcro straps. I don't want to ruin the wheel since I will be making the finished force feedback controller myself and keeping the wheel for playing with ps3.

I wouldn't call myself very experienced, but I do have some knowledge about the electronics and mechanics of it. I've learnt a lot in the process too. I'll put the project up here on the forum soon.

How much of your complete noobness is you being humble vs noobness?

Youtuber "Mixed Reality Sim Racing" has made a cool controller from a Fanatec wheel. You can see it in the community section of his YouTube profile. He modded a handlebar to a Fanatec hub and connected the controls to the pedals in some way. Worth looking at!
I had to try..

doubledragoncc

Move the bars to the bottom of the wheel is better and use Leo Bodnar BU0836 usb board with a matrix board for 32 buttons one 8way hat and 8 analog inputs

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

poupou59890

HI, Good to know about your come back :) I am new too but hey that's still cool :) I am waiting my T300rs (should arrive tomorrow) So yes it is possible to mount a full control handlebar on a quick release HUB for t500/300rs. I made my hanld bar with electronic throttle (0-5V from scotter parts) break and clutc with real hydraulic set on Aliexpress (around 30 euros) and everthing is mounted on a real handlbar from china too( I used straight bar that I bend a little bit to have same angle from my 600 CBR) I will post all picture of the project when I am done.And for buttons etc I use the leobodnard that DD suggested to me and it is very simple. So yes you can use your t500 base to put with the quick release a full handlbar controller (as for the break or rear brake You can use real part or do as @Chris_Beeves said go to the mixed reality sim channel and check how Marcel have done with his fanatec pedal and to the same with Thrustmaster pedals.

I don't think it is quite difficult , it depends how much you want to put and how many details you want to put in there.

For me I will try to use DSA mode so my handlebar will be a little bit higher than the axis of the base cause I want to have same "deport" than my real bike^^ but the pendulum system of DD is great if you jste want to use FFB in normal mode.

If you have questions feel free to ask, I will be happy to help.

I can't wait to receive my T300rs !!!!!

When I will do first tests I will post pics of the rig.

Chris_Beeves

May 03, 2019, 07:04:49 AM #4 Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 07:07:56 AM by Chris_Beeves
That really depends on what you want to accomplish.
For "arcade style" default steering, your way is probably the better way.
For "direct steer" I find tilting the wheel so the steering axle is in a "close-to-real-life-rake" angle, and then putting the handlebars exactly as a triple clamp would go on a real bike is the closest you will get to the real thing.

The Arduino Leonardo with "Joystick library" is easily configured for all the inputs you will ever need. (32 button, 4hat, 8 analog etc..)

Edit: this was a response to DD's post :)
I had to try..

poupou59890

Myst1cPrun3

If I'm not mistaken, you can run the thrust master bases on their own, so just a simple board with an extra USB Cable would be sufficient, but if you don't have that, I'd guess you could modify k e of the older 'cheaper' rims for it (I've debated changing up the original 458 rim, only downside is you lose any analogue inputs, so would need a spare set of pedals too to wire in)

Myst1cPrun3

By simple board I did consider modifying one of my old, and redundant xbox one USB controller

TimboC137

@Chris_Beeves what is the leonardo's resolution for analog axes? I think it's 8-bit (255 steps), but I'm not sure. The leo bodnar board is 12-bit (4096 steps), so it might be the better choice. Although it is much more expensive.

MultiCOOLFRESH

Thank you guys for the kind support :)

I will just have a detailled look at what you wrote to me and research this Leonardo thing :)

MCF

MultiCOOLFRESH

Quote from: poupou59890 on May 03, 2019, 06:57:52 AMHI, Good to know about your come back :) I am new too but hey that's still cool :) I am waiting my T300rs (should arrive tomorrow) So yes it is possible to mount a full control handlebar on a quick release HUB for t500/300rs. I made my hanld bar with electronic throttle (0-5V from scotter parts) break and clutc with real hydraulic set on Aliexpress (around 30 euros) and everthing is mounted on a real handlbar from china too( I used straight bar that I bend a little bit to have same angle from my 600 CBR) I will post all picture of the project when I am done.And for buttons etc I use the leobodnard that DD suggested to me and it is very simple. So yes you can use your t500 base to put with the quick release a full handlbar controller (as for the break or rear brake You can use real part or do as @Chris_Beeves said go to the mixed reality sim channel and check how Marcel have done with his fanatec pedal and to the same with Thrustmaster pedals.

I don't think it is quite difficult , it depends how much you want to put and how many details you want to put in there.

For me I will try to use DSA mode so my handlebar will be a little bit higher than the axis of the base cause I want to have same "deport" than my real bike^^ but the pendulum system of DD is great if you jste want to use FFB in normal mode.

If you have questions feel free to ask, I will be happy to help.

I can't wait to receive my T300rs !!!!!

When I will do first tests I will post pics of the rig.

Oh nice, well, this really comes in handy :D

I will do some drawing on my whiteboard to have an first impression and "prototype", but I guess I will start my project when you finished yours, so I have a little bit of an manual how to do it ;D

I really want to do this, so thanky y'all for your help :)

MCF

Chris_Beeves

Quote from: TimboC137 on May 03, 2019, 09:56:03 AM@Chris_Beeves what is the leonardo's resolution for analog axes? I think it's 8-bit (255 steps), but I'm not sure. The leo bodnar board is 12-bit (4096 steps), so it might be the better choice. Although it is much more expensive.

10-bit.
More than enough for a game controller imo.
I had to try..

Chris_Beeves

Quote from: MultiCOOLFRESH on May 03, 2019, 09:59:16 AMThank you guys for the kind support :)

I will just have a detailled look at what you wrote to me and research this Leonardo thing :)

MCF

I can send you the Leonardo sketch I'm using. That is the easy part.

Making the controllers is the difficult thing I think.
I had to try..

MultiCOOLFRESH

Quote from: Chris_Beeves on May 03, 2019, 10:48:12 AM
Quote from: MultiCOOLFRESH on May 03, 2019, 09:59:16 AMThank you guys for the kind support :)

MCF

Making the controllers is the difficult thing I think.

What do you exactly mean ??? :)

MCF

Chris_Beeves

Quote from: MultiCOOLFRESH on May 03, 2019, 10:52:52 AMWhat do you exactly mean ??? :)

MCF

Whether you use the Leonardo, bognar, Xbox or something else, converting hydraulic brakes, load cells, wires or what ever solution you choose, to analog signals is the challenging bit. Programming the Arduino is super simple when you have a finished sketch.
I had to try..