• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:06:44 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Telemetry in replay

Started by ocb, March 12, 2017, 01:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ocb

Is it posible to have telemetry information in a race replay?

Alby46

could be interesting, as a plugin maybe
Still riding a 50cc, but enjoying it :)

HornetMaX

That would mean saving the telemetry data in the replay file (for each bike ?), making the file pretty big.

What would you like that for ?

D4rw1n

It's been a while since this thread has been created, but I have currently the same need than initial post.
I was also expecting the replay to actually re-shoot the telemetry but it seems it's not yet the case in beta15.

And I might answer to your question Max:

Right now I'm trying to see and understand different variables of telemetry against the bike behaviour.
My current solution is to play and record a video footage with telemetry shown on some other screen or window, aside GP-Bikes.
While I play + record, my framerate decrease noticeably and that's actually annoying for the gameplay.

Having the possibility to record and replay both video (with possibly different angles) + live telemetry of the replay would enable a much easier debriefing after a lap.

Vini

i mean you have throttle and brake inputs via MaxHUD plugin.

D4rw1n

Quote from: Vini on May 08, 2019, 03:23:47 PMi mean you have throttle and brake inputs via MaxHUD plugin.

I don't want only these, but all the values given by Telemetry from SPluginsBikeData_t struct in https://www.gp-bikes.com/downloads/gpb_example.c

HornetMaX

Quote from: D4rw1n on May 08, 2019, 06:13:54 PM
Quote from: Vini on May 08, 2019, 03:23:47 PMi mean you have throttle and brake inputs via MaxHUD plugin.

I don't want only these, but all the values given by Telemetry from SPluginsBikeData_t struct in https://www.gp-bikes.com/downloads/gpb_example.c
Currently not possible and unlikely it will ever be. As said, reason is: replay file size.

Some telemtry tools allow to inspect the telemtry while showing a recording of the lap, but you'll need to sync them properly to use them effectively, that can't really be automated.

Did you try to use MaxTM ? As it shows where the bike is on the track, you should have little need for the video.
To be honest, I don't tink in real life riders do look at the video: the telemetry should be enough.

BTW, for in game recording, try OBS studio (free): unless you have a very low-spec PC, it should be the best solution around (for CPU-based enconding). If you have a weak CPU but a good GPU, you can try the GPU-based encoders (Nvidia has NVenc, AMD has similar one, forgot the name). I think these encoders are also available in OBS Studio.

D4rw1n

Quote from: HornetMaX on May 08, 2019, 07:47:27 PMCurrently not possible and unlikely it will ever be. As said, reason is: replay file size.

Please correct my statement if calculation is wrong, but assuming payload is 220 bytes for SPluginsBikeData_t struct, and that we set the telemetry rate at 50hz.
That should be 220*50= 11000bytes per second, so 11000*120 = 1320000 bytes for a ~2 minutes lap, i.e. 1320000/1024 = 1289 kBytes = 1.25MBytes per lap.
By replay file size being too big, were you referring only to telemetry data storage or to something else?

Quote from: HornetMaX on May 08, 2019, 07:47:27 PMSome telemetry tools allow to inspect the telemetry while showing a recording of the lap, but you'll need to sync them properly to use them effectively, that can't really be automated.

Quote from: HornetMaX on May 08, 2019, 07:47:27 PMDid you try to use MaxTM ? As it shows where the bike is on the track, you should have little need for the video.
To be honest, I don't think in real life riders do look at the video: the telemetry should be enough.

Not yet but that's one of the first graphical plugin I want to try very soon (my gaming computer isn't always powered nor usable at the moment).
My backup plan was to find a way to record telemetry data payload, then hit the replay and record a video of it, then try to find a good marker to sync both video + telemetry and display them side by side or with some overlay.
For the time being, my use case is more about understanding and spot-checking some ideas on how to use some data to make my rig's move realistic and consistent, like about the relation between variables and what happens visually, in order to validate or correct my thoughts.
A bit out of scope the regular need for telemetry while debriefing your lap to improve driver's best time.

Quote from: HornetMaX on May 08, 2019, 07:47:27 PMBTW, for in game recording, try OBS studio (free): unless you have a very low-spec PC, it should be the best solution around (for CPU-based encoding). If you have a weak CPU but a good GPU, you can try the GPU-based encoders (Nvidia has NVenc, AMD has similar one, forgot the name). I think these encoders are also available in OBS Studio.

Yep I've been currently using OBS studio for recording the video :)
Unfortunately my gaming rig is a bit obsolete as of now regarding the CPU & GPU power: Xeon W3520 (~Q6600), 12GB DDR3 (too much for GP-Bikes ... ), HD5870, Crucial BX500 500GB SSD. Even with mid-quality settings I really see and feel the slower framerate while recording.

HornetMaX

Quote from: D4rw1n on May 08, 2019, 08:56:11 PMPlease correct my statement if calculation is wrong, but assuming payload is 220 bytes for SPluginsBikeData_t struct, and that we set the telemetry rate at 50hz.
That should be 220*50= 11000bytes per second, so 11000*120 = 1320000 bytes for a ~2 minutes lap, i.e. 1320000/1024 = 1289 kBytes = 1.25MBytes per lap.
By replay file size being too big, were you referring only to telemetry data storage or to something else?
Telemetry is more or less all is needed, including for replay. For full replay purposes GPB should also log the exact rider lean and, if we want to be over-picky, head orientation. But thta's minor.

Overall it's not huge, but keep in mind GPB has to write this while you're actually playing: it may lead to stutter.

Anyway, I just think PiBoSo considers telemtry one thing and replay another, separate one. But if he's OK to change that then it would be easy to do something with it.

Quote from: D4rw1n on May 08, 2019, 08:56:11 PM
Quote from: HornetMaX on May 08, 2019, 07:47:27 PMDid you try to use MaxTM ? As it shows where the bike is on the track, you should have little need for the video.
To be honest, I don't think in real life riders do look at the video: the telemetry should be enough.

Not yet but that's one of the first graphical plugin I want to try very soon (my gaming computer isn't always powered nor usable at the moment).
Try it as soon as possible. You may find out that's all you need (I mean a telemetry tool in general, not necessarily the one I made).