• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:41:06 PM

Oculus VR Flicker Bug

Started by Myst1cPrun3, June 29, 2019, 07:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myst1cPrun3

June 29, 2019, 07:44:25 PM Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 07:46:26 PM by Myst1cPrun3
I've been unable to really use GP Bikes since the Oculus Update a few months ago due to flicker in the headset.
It does not occur in other games however, regardless of them being updated or not so its a pure GP Bikes issue.
My drivers and hardware are up to date, and I'm running the latest Oculus Rift. (Believe its CV1)

This one:

I've been trying to fix this, including changing pretty much any In game settings, but am at a complete loss.

It happens to some degree on all bikes/tracks, but on the better ones its just at the bottom of the headset and really isn't a big deal. I'd still like it gone all together mind you.

The stock Victoria cicruit + M2 also do this, so its not a MOD thing to my knowledge, but is worst on mods, particularly the otherwise high quality Javiliyors tracks.

Its at its worst on Jerez, which is a shame as that's the track I've been wanting to use the most recently.

And by at its worst, its Literally unplayable in VR.

Any advice would be helpful.

Here are a few Screenshots of whats happening, and I should point out this IS visible in VR and its not a very nice experience.

I've posted this in several topics as I'm not sure which one it should go under. Admin can Delete as appropriate

PiBoSo

Is the framerate solid at 90 fps?
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

Myst1cPrun3

June 29, 2019, 09:51:47 PM #2 Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 09:54:57 PM by Myst1cPrun3
Quote from: PiBoSo on June 29, 2019, 08:42:12 PMIs the framerate solid at 90 fps?

It would appear not no, at the worst the fps counter says 22 at the worst stage.

However turning all the settings onto minimum allows for 25 at the worst stage.

System specs for reference:

i9 9820 Skylake
RTX 2080 Ti
32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram
GP Bikes installed to 250GB SSD
Win 10

Isn't really any reason why my FPS should go so low, on any settings. I have shut down all other programs in background and this has not made any difference, both before and after the update.

PiBoSo

Are you getting 22 fps on a RTX 2080?  :o

How does GP Bikes run without VR?
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

Myst1cPrun3

Quote from: PiBoSo on June 29, 2019, 09:58:17 PMAre you getting 22 fps on a RTX 2080?  :o

Precisely my thinking and yes I am, lowest settings too X)

Quote from: PiBoSo on June 29, 2019, 09:58:17 PMHow does GP Bikes run without VR?

Runs perfectly, no fps/graphical issues whatsoever

Myst1cPrun3

I did initially think a background process caused the fps issue, however the only program I've changed is the oculus app update.

Not as if I've opened up any more programs in the background as to before, which is why I think it's the way GPB seems to Interact with some game settings vs oculus app

teeds

I know you said you had the latest but have you tried swapping out your video card drivers since the Oculus update for older ones?

Myst1cPrun3

June 30, 2019, 11:39:23 AM #7 Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 11:41:04 AM by Myst1cPrun3
Quote from: teeds on June 30, 2019, 10:32:31 AMI know you said you had the latest but have you tried swapping out your video card drivers since the Oculus update for older ones?

Yep. I was initially about 5 video card /gpu updates behind when it started doing it, so I thought the new oculus update was not working with that, so I updated, and backdated it when that failed,
and it made 0 difference either way.
NDS/DS tracks make 0 difference too

poumpouny

I think it's a motion reprojection issue (if it's enabled) due to you're low fps. I don't understand how the hell can you get such a fps on RTX 2080ti hahaha, i was you i already commit suicide hahahahahha.

GPB on my ancestral setup run solid 90 fps (don't even need asw or motion reprojection) an all that with higher resolution than occulus cause i'm on Acer Windows Mixed reality (1440 x 1440 per eye).

My setup :
Core i5 4460
Gtx 960 2go
8Gb Ram
Latest windows 10.

Myst1cPrun3

Quote from: poumpouny on July 01, 2019, 06:41:59 AMI don't understand how the hell can you get such a fps on RTX 2080ti hahaha, i was you i already commit suicide hahahahahha.

I was like, 'I'm GONNA get a PC that'll last me for several years, that's as good as I can get, and GPB should have no frame issues as its easy to run...

NOPE

Quote from: poumpouny on July 01, 2019, 06:41:59 AMGPB on my ancestral setup run solid 90 fps (don't even need asw or motion reprojection) an all that with higher resolution than occulus cause i'm on Acer Windows Mixed reality (1440 x 1440 per eye).

From my testing the issue is the Oculus Home software that HAS to be running in the background. They've updated it and now games run like crap.

It seems Oculus are trying to make anything that's not on the oculus store run like crap, as anything launched through Steam VR is similar.

I have found some files for an older version of oculus home, so I'm going to try that later, hopefully it works.
Failing that I've got to wait for an update from Pib, but it seems he's already updated Jr I his daily Dev reprise thread.
Hopefully this becomes a b15c update cos I'm impatient to use GPB Lol

Myst1cPrun3

Tried this fix. Hasn't fixed the FPS issue, but it has pretty much removed the flicker, making it at least useable now. Still can't use Javis Donnington however, but that was the same before the update, so I think that's a track issue not a GPB/oculus issue. Still hoping for the update soon to completely fix the issue. :)

XTRMLN

I'm not having any issues at donnington with my oculus. I'm not getting the flickering either.

Myst1cPrun3

Quote from: XTRMLN on July 01, 2019, 04:29:59 PMI'm not having any issues at donnington with my oculus. I'm not getting the flickering either.

I don't know why donnington for me is unplayable. Maybe I'll do a video to demonstrate it.
You can see my headset flickering in my GP500 @ spa video, usually around kerbing.

Timestamp for glitch: 1:25 - 1:27

Interestingly, the older, CAWS version of Donnington, (And arguably a better one), performs excellently, with 0 issues.
Its just unfortunate that no one uses that one, as its older, and 'not as shiny'.

Myst1cPrun3

This is still existing.

Needs a fix, more optimisation/implementation of multi core processors, and allowing gpb to use more hardware would be nice, as I get drops in FPS without using 1/4 of the available hardware... :o

Vini

December 31, 2020, 06:56:40 PM #14 Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 07:55:22 PM by Vini
Do you still get those strange graphical glitches or only the stuttering / framedrops?

I am experiencing performance issues in VR as well, mostly in multiplayer.
I feel like there is a connection to the OpenGL driver crashes that are new in b19.
Probably unrelated but GPB takes much longer to open now in b19.

Edit: I think the cause of my (MP VR) performance issues are the TV screens at Misano.
Will do further tests to confirm.
Nevertheless those OpenGL driver crashes hint to some big problem in the code.