• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Sim-Setup Project Idea

Started by Feinberg, August 20, 2019, 03:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feinberg

Hello,
I am really new to the game and have yet to purchase it, but still hope you guys might be interested in my idea.
I have been planning to build a Sim Setup for GP Bikes.

The basic idea is taken from this YouTube video I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWzoSs_2SI0

Additionaly to this setup, I want to add either 4 pneumatic or hydraulic cylinders to move the bike on 2 Axis (Lean L/R, Lean F/B) or even use electric motors with rods attached.

As far as I know lots of data can be pulled in real-time frome the game.

Furthermore I planned on using an XBOX 360 kinect sensor for body-position tracking and then using it for the body lean controls.

For clutch, throttle and (both)brake I would be using potentiometers in addition to an arduino.

Other buttons would simple be added with an USB Encoder.

I also thought about implementing countersteering on the actual moving rack.

I know I have alot planned but I wanted to hear your thoughts and ideas.

Best regards
Feinberg

poupou59890

Hi,

welcome on the forum.

For the sim rig of course it is a good idea and we like to see new rig coming (i hope finishing mine soon), for button etc I think that's better to use a complet wheel setup, will be easier and reliable (and you will have force feedback too) especially if you want to use countersteerin.

For the axis, i am not sure yet if it is as good idea, (mine is fix for now, I will see hen it is finish if I can put lean)

issues with axis like real one is the range, if you want to simulate real lean you can have +60/-60 like I want but you need to have strong motor because torque is very big when you are full lean. so big money....

but yes everything is possible and you can take lots of data in real time.

I think that hydraulic it is not quick enough or you need electric piston and that's money too.

For me I started with a fix rig, and when everyhting will be like I want ..then I will thinking about a dynamic sim.

doubledragoncc

The problem with that setup is............the bike on screen is totally out of sync with the rig he is sitting on!!!

Is he even controlling the bike or just following a replay?

Sorry but it just acts wrong

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

guigui404

DD, you've got 0 respect for someone that did a system a lot better than yours , and
you are showing bad faith ... It's clear that he is controlling the bike in this video.

If you've got nothing to say that is interesting about his system , or you're not willing to give some advice or idea , just keep it shush.

doubledragoncc

I think the system looks great and had a lot of hard work and far more than my systems I was talking purely about the sync of the steering looking very off between the bike on screen and the system. It was a statement of that fact only not about the whole system.

I respect everyone who trys to do this as it is not easy but it does not mean I wont point out something that looks wrong.

Before you say I have 0 respect read my words and think about it.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Hawk

August 21, 2019, 12:36:19 AM #5 Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 12:45:28 AM by Hawk
Just watched the video..... Great system you have there mate!
Wouldn't it be better to move a little closer to your screen and not to have the virtual bike rendering on screen at all?

DD is correct though about the virtual bike and real sim-bike not being in sync movement-wise..... Looks very odd when watching.

PS: guigui404: I'm surprised at you for having a go at DD?
DD likes to help people, he even goes out of his way to help people, even those that are working on other bike sim controller projects.... He's only pointing out what is obvious and needs sorting, why can't you see it and agree, it's SO obviously out of sync, are you blind or what! ::)

matty0l215

Hello Feinberg and welcome to the forum!

It's always good to see people building full sun rigs. Like Poupou has said, I would start with a rigid frame, get the steering with countersteering in place and working and then add the leaning aspect later.

Pneumatics would work but can get quite pricy and complicated. Linear actuators (Motor and threaded rod) are a lot cheaper and simplier but might not be fast enough for what you need.

@Everyone else. If you read the first post properly-
Quote from: undefinedThe basic idea is taken from this YouTube video I found:
So it seems like nothing has actually been built yet.
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

doubledragoncc

Thanks Hawky

Back to that point, I have worked with Leo Bodnar for years and highly recommend his BU08336A USB board with the Matrix Board for buttons. I have spoken with him and tested many things with steering and a rule of thumb is no more than 15 milliseconds of input lag or it starts to get sloppy for riding sims. Concentrate on getting the steering to FEEL natural and visually have no lag between your steering input and the bike on screen reacting to it.

My old TV gave 18 milliseconds of lag and I can feel and see that difference. 2 seconds of lag is NO fun to ride!!!

I am developing a new wireless rider input unit to plug into the bodnar board which will mean no need to use buttons or thumbstick for rider movement and will help people who build rigs with luck

If using hydraulic brakes with pressure transducers, DONT use less than 1000psi or they can eventually blow, I use 1600psi to be on the sfe side.

If you need any help or 3D printed parts just PM me and I will see if I can help

DD

poupou59890

Hi everyone,

as all here I already saw this video and this kind of vids push me to make mine, but yes on this video I think the lag between commands and tv is so much than everything seems disconnect, so yes I don't think that is fun to ride. but technically is awesome and super super smooth and beautiful. Just need to concentrate more on the lag input. But know a lot people can use VR so everything is different, I will use VR too with my rig so sit on or not it is not a problem, with gpbikes and Vr normally I can't feel the bike not sync with my feeling.

I am agree with Matty, pneumatic will be pricey, linear actuator can do the trick but need to be well calculated in order to have right range and speed (and torque)

When my sim will be completly finish and hopefully working like I want, I will try to focus very strong on this part because i think it could be really fun to feel the lean and the front/rear movement when you are on the brake. It can be a dream but I will try to give it a go, and find some mechanical solution and cinematic which could work.

Chris_Beeves

Having a sim rig lean works better on video than riding it I would suppose. When riding a bike you have g-forces holding you in place, so you don't really feel the bike leaning.
Leaning a rig 60 degrees would probably make most riders fall off as soon as it stands up again (if strong enough).

I would put my money on front back lean for acceleration and brakes and some kind of yaw axis, feeling the wobbles coming in and out of turns.
I had to try..

poupou59890

Hi,
chris yes that's the question everyone wants to have the answer, in my case, I had the change to try the AMV sim (same than motogp rider use to develop position and fitness during winter, it is a real bike with real lean but you are not control the video, it is just a playback of a race and you need to follow, when you stop to throttle you can lean and you need to use our weight in order to do that and then when you trottle again at the exit the sim tend to be straight again so help you a little bit , so yes it is very physical but so cool to have your bike leaning at 58 durin my test. But yes I made 3 laps of Le mans and I was exausted but the feeling is really good. so I think it is a way to implement that in gpbikes using coder and realtime lean value.
but yes it could be dangerous or brutal.

But if you have the chance to try it, do it.