• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

December 03, 2021, 12:37:56 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

GP Bikes beta20 WIP

Started by PiBoSo, April 06, 2021, 11:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PiBoSo

So far, there have been three main changes to GP Bikes:
1) the multibody simulation accuracy has been increased. The steer vibration, especially in low-speed corners, has thus been greatly reduced ( almost removed ), without the need to tune the steer damper
2) work on a "stability helper" is in progress. It helps keeping the bike from crashing at the max lean angle and it makes the riding experience less frustrating, for example when there is a sudden camber change in the track surface ( like at the Victoria downhill hairpin ). The helper is of course optional but, even if enabled, it will not turn GP Bikes into an arcade game
3) the user interface is being extended to widescreen, and the replay / spectate page will be re-designed

Other changes so far:
- fixed support for stands, rider and dashes in the "mods" folder
- fixed the dangling leg at the first Adriatic Circuit corner
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

Myst1cPrun3

Awesome! Sounds like beta 20 could be a good step with some (hopefully) long awaited fixes.

I do have a question or 2 about point 2 however.

Is this not what 'lean help' is for? Or have I misunderstood what lean help is?

Also, when riding, and I put the steering input to maximum to turn, the bike stops leaning at a certain point.

Does this stability helper mean that 'barrier' is gone? It is most noticeable on the brakes when the bike doesn't tip in sometimes.
I would love to make/ride a bike where it is the riders decision on how far to lean before crashing rather than the Sims.

Either way look forward to it, should be good.  :)

Daddi80

Davide74

I hope that if you activate that help not to fall you will be penalised in some way, or that if you don't use it you will be able to get more out of the chrono.

javiliyors

PiBoSo

April 06, 2021, 03:29:58 PM #5 Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 03:46:42 PM by PiBoSo
Quote from: Myst1cPrun3 on April 06, 2021, 12:39:55 PMAwesome! Sounds like beta 20 could be a good step with some (hopefully) long awaited fixes.

I do have a question or 2 about point 2 however.

Is this not what 'lean help' is for? Or have I misunderstood what lean help is?

Also, when riding, and I put the steering input to maximum to turn, the bike stops leaning at a certain point.

Does this stability helper mean that 'barrier' is gone? It is most noticeable on the brakes when the bike doesn't tip in sometimes.
I would love to make/ride a bike where it is the riders decision on how far to lean before crashing rather than the Sims.

Either way look forward to it, should be good.  :)

The "lean help" is more of an input filter than a real helper. It is linked to the "Direct Lean" setting.

At the moment, at full lean input, the virtual rider tries to keep the bike at the max possible lean angle, at the edge of grip. When the track suddenly changes and less lean is possible ( or maybe there is just a bump ), there might not be enough grip to pick the bike up before it low-sides.
The stability helper is meant to save the bike from that kind of crashes, not to be a "catch-all".

The option to remove the "barrier" has been tested, but it's not really usable, because in racing bikes the edge between riding at the limit and crashing is too narrow to have a stick as input and without the feedback from being on the seat.

Vini

Quote from: PiBoSo on April 06, 2021, 03:29:58 PMThe option to remove the "barrier" has been tested, but it's not really usable, because in racing bikes the edge between riding at the limit and crashing is too narrow to have a stick as input and without the feedback from being on the seat.
Could still be interesting for alternative input devices.

So does the new stability helper predict the track geometry or is it purely reactive, e.g. by pushing against the tarmac Marquez-style?

PiBoSo

Quote from: Vini on April 06, 2021, 04:34:49 PMSo does the new stability helper predict the track geometry or is it purely reactive, e.g. by pushing against the tarmac Marquez-style?

It is purely reactive.

VSMaster

Quote from: Davide74 on April 06, 2021, 12:51:30 PMI hope that if you activate that help not to fall you will be penalised in some way, or that if you don't use it you will be able to get more out of the chrono.
I suppose it goes to simulation/aids section, so you can disable it for evryone if you want
Always on the edge

Vini

Could you make a manual version for the stability helper? So like the Marquez button we talked about some time ago.

HornetMaX

Quote from: PiBoSo on April 06, 2021, 11:41:52 AMSo far, there have been three main changes to GP Bikes:
1) the multibody simulation accuracy has been increased. The steer vibration, especially in low-speed corners, has thus been greatly reduced ( almost removed ), without the need to tune the steer damper
2) work on a "stability helper" is in progress. It helps keeping the bike from crashing at the max lean angle and it makes the riding experience less frustrating, for example when there is a sudden camber change in the track surface ( like at the Victoria downhill hairpin ). The helper is of course optional but, even if enabled, it will not turn GP Bikes into an arcade game
Haven't touched GPB for a looong time, but the two above definetely make me want to check it out again.

Myst1cPrun3

Quote from: PiBoSo on April 06, 2021, 03:29:58 PMThe "lean help" is more of an input filter than a real helper. It is linked to the "Direct Lean" setting.

At the moment, at full lean input, the virtual rider tries to keep the bike at the max possible lean angle, at the edge of grip. When the track suddenly changes and less lean is possible ( or maybe there is just a bump ), there might not be enough grip to pick the bike up before it low-sides.
The stability helper is meant to save the bike from that kind of crashes, not to be a "catch-all".

Good to hear!

Quote from: PiBoSo on April 06, 2021, 03:29:58 PMThe option to remove the "barrier" has been tested, but it's not really usable, because in racing bikes the edge between riding at the limit and crashing is too narrow to have a stick as input and without the feedback from being on the seat.

This is a pity, As I would have loved to try it out.  :(

Maybe as the 'Haptic feedback' is more and more available on controllers it could be an option in the future? maybe as an option in a bike.cfg? (Then it could be activated per mod?)

Either way looking forward to b20!
Should be a game changer based off the vibration reduction alone

Hawk

@Myst1c - Have you tried DST? It sounds to be very similar to what you're wanting to try(leaning without any input from the VR)? ;)

For your ref: https://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=28.0

adrmelandri

Will Boots and Gloves be able to choose separately from the suit in this Beta 20? Or not yet?
Ich bin ein Fan von allem, was den tatsächlichen menschlichen Kontakt ersetzen kann.
I'm a fan of anything that can replace actual human contact.
https://adrmeisterwerk.blogspot.com/

PiBoSo

Quote from: adrmelandri on April 17, 2021, 08:53:42 AMWill Boots and Gloves be able to choose separately from the suit in this Beta 20? Or not yet?

Support for separate boots models and paint is planned. Gloves will still be part of the suit.