• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:09:33 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

WIP - Dijon "Turn #4" Surface Rebuild Test.

Started by Hawk, April 29, 2014, 04:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

Can't wait to try later after work thanks M8
Max you got to stop taking those Placebo your going to get hooked  ;D

PeterV

Did around 6 laps on the 1000, turn 4 has kept his same "character" without the fear of falling.
It seems too be better, (i look at how the front end vibrates/shakes) its much more smooth with reworked Turn 4.

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on April 30, 2014, 12:01:34 PM
Did you resurface only turn 4 or the entire track ? I've done only 2 laps but I'm under the impression you've done the entire track. Placebo effect or ... ?

MaX.

No... I only did leading up to turn #4 and a stretch after exiting turn #4, the rest of the track looked fine to me, I think Janu has done some work on it before he sent me the track file? Not sure?

Ian

That's so much better on the 125 it took 5 laps to crash going a bit faster each time. ;D
No longer just coasting afraid to gas it or lean too much I think your on to something Hawk_UK well down

Hawk

Hi guys...

Thanks for the feedback so far... Much appreciated.  ;) ;D

janaucarre

To Hawk_UK: the time to export the map files with shadows can be very long, more than 3 hours for ulster
The exporter can crash and saying nothing to you.

3 possibility of what happens:

1 - the exporter run and finish his job and it's written ending log
2 - the exporter run and finish his job but no more window of the exporter, clic on the big green menu of 3ds max(up in the left side) and the exporter window will appear.
3 - The exporter begin his work and crash--> you can see if it crashed by applying the up solution(2), and if no window appear it significate that the exporter has crashed. The second thing you will be sure that the exporter has crashed is if you see no more your mouse in wait mod( a blue circle on win7)

Solution for me when a crash of exporter happens: I only must to restart 3ds max, if i attempt to redo an export without restart i'm sure at 99.99% that it will crash ever.

Klax75

Good work Hawk.

This one for me is much less noticeable then Mallory 1978. I never had much trouble at this track before the change.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Klax75 on April 30, 2014, 08:24:52 PM
This one for me is much less noticeable then Mallory 1978. I never had much trouble at this track before the change.
In this turn the problem was not the usual "OMG I've lost the front without knowing why", it was more the strange behavior of the bike spinning on itself while leaning (almost losing the rear for no reason).
With respect to that, the resurfacing didn't bring any improvement I think: I can still see the bike swinging in that turn.

If that's confirmed (we do need to put more laps in) then there seem to be 2 separate issues: bad surface making you lose the front (and this can be fixed, as shown by Hawk) and the strangeness on banked/sloped turns (for which can can nothing).

MaX.

Hawk

Quote from: janaucarre on April 30, 2014, 07:57:40 PM
To Hawk_UK: the time to export the map files with shadows can be very long, more than 3 hours for ulster
The exporter can crash and saying nothing to you.

3 possibility of what happens:

1 - the exporter run and finish his job and it's written ending log
2 - the exporter run and finish his job but no more window of the exporter, clic on the big green menu of 3ds max(up in the left side) and the exporter window will appear.
3 - The exporter begin his work and crash--> you can see if it crashed by applying the up solution(2), and if no window appear it significate that the exporter has crashed. The second thing you will be sure that the exporter has crashed is if you see no more your mouse in wait mod( a blue circle on win7)

Solution for me when a crash of exporter happens: I only must to restart 3ds max, if i attempt to redo an export without restart i'm sure at 99.99% that it will crash ever.

Hi Janu.....

Thanks for the above advice mate..... Appreciated.... At least I know know the quirkiness of that EDF exporter in 3ds Max.  ;) ;D

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on April 30, 2014, 08:36:14 PM
Quote from: Klax75 on April 30, 2014, 08:24:52 PM
In this turn the problem was not the usual "OMG I've lost the front without knowing why", it was more the strange behavior of the bike spinning on itself while leaning (almost losing the rear for no reason).
With respect to that, the resurfacing didn't bring any improvement I think: I can still see the bike swinging in that turn.

If that's confirmed (we do need to put more laps in) then there seem to be 2 separate issues: bad surface making you lose the front (and this can be fixed, as shown by Hawk) and the strangeness on banked/sloped turns (for which can can nothing).

MaX.

Yes. I know what you mean, but the with the drop off angle of the track surface as you rise up that slope on turn 4, it seems to sort of increase your lean angle for a second until you get further around the corner. It is at that critical point were you have to have good throttle control or your back end will just spin around on you...... At least I think that is what's happening? Not sure if this is a physics thing or just a quirk of that corner?

HornetMaX

Thing is, it spins even off throttle ... just feels (and looks) weird. I think it's a physics thing, al ong time ago Piboso acknowledged some sort of known issue for banked/sloped turns.

Anyway, at least now we know what you can't fix :)

MaX.

SA_22

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on April 30, 2014, 09:44:06 PM
Thing is, it spins even off throttle ... just feels (and looks) weird. I think it's a physics thing, al ong time ago Piboso acknowledged some sort of known issue for banked/sloped turns.

Anyway, at least now we know what you can't fix :)

MaX.
Hmm... I must admit I haven't had my bike spin without applying too much throttle.... Maybe I'm not trying hard enough.  ;D

JamoZ

Here, take this chicken as a token of my appreciation  8)

HornetMaX

Two sample videos of what I mean with the bike spinning on turn 4 in Dijon (original surface, not Hawk's one).

#1:
No throttle, no brake. There's a tiny front brake at sec 0:16, but the problem appears before that, in between sec 0:15 and 0:16.

http://www.youtube.com/v/7Dyz17-Wd_g

#2:
No input whatsoever here, strill the bike spins at 0:05.

http://www.youtube.com/v/WbpdO0g3Bp0

I really can't find a reasonable explanation of why a bike should behave like this.
Granted, with a bit of practice we can manage to take the turn without falling (I do) and sometimes the bike spins a bit but does not crash, but still ...

Even the movement of the rear (right) suspension (that may be a tad too soft in these examples) seems weird to me ... maybe there's some sort of problem when it bottoms out ...

Not a surface problem for me, there' something in the physics.

MaX.