• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:26:57 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

The Thing 3.0

Started by davidboda46, November 17, 2022, 01:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidboda46

The Thing 2.0 (for reference)

Cheers,

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46
"THE EDGE... THERE IS NO HONEST WAY TO EXPLAIN IT BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW WHERE IT IS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE GONE OVER"

mdlp

Good lord sir, you are definitely a man of vision. I started out using Sidewinder parts for my first prototype, but you are next level.  And I can't tell what the gearbox started life as.  :-)

So with all the hand/feet controls and FFB... bravo!

What are the significant changes from v2 to v3?

davidboda46

November 19, 2022, 12:02:36 AM #2 Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 02:20:36 AM by davidboda46
Quote from: mdlp on November 18, 2022, 04:25:43 PMWhat are the significant changes from v2 to v3?

Thanks for the compliment!

The gearbox started it's live as a Sidewinder wheel (the cogs inside the housing)  :o All in all it's three different controllers merged into one monstrosity. Wingman wheel circuit board controls the gearbox, rear brake and clutch (replaced the puny pots with bigger sidewinder pots on each), Sidewinder for steering, throttle and front brake. The biggest issue is that there is no bespoke calibration software for Windows 10 so I can't set a psychical stop on the wheels rotation. That's where the bicycle brake wires and the clamps on the steering wheel and the mounting board come in.  :P 

Main changes from v2 to v3: my rider movement controller on the left side of the handlebar was just a circuit board and two analogue sticks from a gamepad. It was a less multifunctional solution than the current one but it was also less weighty and cumbersome. Unfortunately, one of the wires snapped on the board side and I fucked up when I tried to solder it back. I didn't want to slaughter another gamepad so I just stuck a full one right on there.

Then I padded the "foot pegs", the bare aluminum (actually a part of a vacuum cleaner pipe) was hurting my feet after an hour of playing.

And I changed the throttle mechanism, managed to get a flat spring in there somehow (not much room to play with), the throttle rebound now feels natural and smooth, before it was an external solution with a thick rubber band... You can see the previous version in the link below the last pic, and there's also some work in progress footage there, and a parts list.  ;)   

Cheers.

David "Gonzo" Boda #46
"THE EDGE... THERE IS NO HONEST WAY TO EXPLAIN IT BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW WHERE IT IS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE GONE OVER"

teeds

That's awesome and so intricate, I could stare at that for ages working out what does what. Poor wheel though ;D

Chris_Beeves

Looking awesome David!
Nice to see The Thing is thriving. Do you do any online racing?
I had to try..

malcolm_from_nz

Are you playing in bare feet?!

Am I the only one playing in gloves and boots?  :-[

davidboda46

Quote from: teeds on November 21, 2022, 09:40:23 AMThat's awesome and so intricate, I could stare at that for ages working out what does what. Poor wheel though ;D

Thanks!

davidboda46

Quote from: Chris_Beeves on November 21, 2022, 05:51:31 PMLooking awesome David!
Nice to see The Thing is thriving. Do you do any online racing?

Thanks!

No online, I always feel I suck to much. At the moment I'm just playing MX-bikes, waiting for the GP-bikes update before I jump back in.

davidboda46

Quote from: malcolm_from_nz on November 21, 2022, 07:34:14 PMAre you playing in bare feet?!

Am I the only one playing in gloves and boots?  :-[

Well, in socks... :) Boots wouldn't work because I don't have enough clearance between the shifter and the ground! :)

doubledragoncc

HI david,

I got a lot of parts and stuff that you could use and I wont be using so thought if you contact me we could talk and for a few beers and postage I might be able to help?

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

davidboda46

Quote from: doubledragoncc on December 05, 2022, 03:10:31 PMHI david,

I got a lot of parts and stuff that you could use and I wont be using so thought if you contact me we could talk and for a few beers and postage I might be able to help?

DD

Really nice of you to offer DD. Thing is, I live in Sweden so I don't know about the shipping cost... might be a bit steep? How can I contact you?

Cheers,

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46

mdlp

The 'game' needs more competitors, at all levels.
I wouldn't let your pace even be a consideration for online. There are quite a few of us who frequent the rear of the grid.
I was far more impressed in a recent race by a guy who rode around at the back on his own than those who ran off at the front. Every time I glanced at where he was I was rooting for him to keep going. He didn't quit and I was so pleased for him.
More of that! The last thing we need are new/inexperienced riders being put off by the performance of others in addition to other factors.
The more I think about it the more we seem to need dedicated novice races.

doubledragoncc

Best to email me doubledragoncc@yahoo.com Small packs wont cost much btw

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.