• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 10:01:22 AM

Snetterton..

Started by BOBR6 84, June 08, 2014, 08:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOBR6 84

Since iv had gpbikes iv not been able to race at snetterton! Downloaded it many times but still wont show up in game!
I used the Mega website.. Any ideas? Or another d/l link?

girlracerTracey

June 08, 2014, 08:43:43 PM #1 Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 08:51:33 PM by girlracerTracey
Simply all you have to do is to open the "Snetterton" folder you have downloaded and unzipped and inside it you will find another folder named "Snetterton" . Cut and paste that "Snetterton" folder (the one inside the other one) directly into your gpbikes' tracks folder. It should now work perfectly!

Bob, always examine the structure of folders you have downloaded and unzipped before you insert then into the gpbikes' main folders to make sure that they have the correct file structure for the game!  ;)

The old Snetterton track is a great circuit. It's a fun and very challenging track to ride. I prefer it without the "Russell's" chicane though to be honest. I have the track before the chicane was added in the gp500 pc game and it is epic! Must have been a bend to sort the men out from the boys before that chicane was added! It was just a flick left then right back in the 1980's at very high speed having exited Corams.. It made Corams itself into a more challenging and higher speed bend before the chicane was added..no real backing off on the throttle round Corams was necessary at all..just heart in your mouth at high speed and leant right over before hurtling towards the left / right flick of Russells and then blasting out at high speed to the edge of the track onto the start and finish straight..epic!

Same thing with the Devil's Elbow at Mallory Park before the chicane was added to slow everyone down exiting the hairpin..

I guess they had to "sanitise" a lot of these U.K. tracks for safety reasons as the modern bikes became more powerful..

grT  :)

BOBR6 84

June 08, 2014, 08:51:48 PM #2 Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 08:56:35 PM by BOBR6 84
Thaaankyou!

So is it pre-snetterton 300?

Good circuit, fast!! Should be good fun with the screamin 600s  8)

Thruxton would be a good addition too.. Infact, all the british tracks lol

I love oulton park.. If somebody makes it for gpbikes id like a version without the chicanes and right left at knicker brook.. Just a flat strapped right hander.. Awesome!

girlracerTracey

Quote from: BOBR6 84 on June 08, 2014, 08:51:48 PM

So is it pre-snetterton 300?

Yes. It's the older and more classic Snetterton track from the 1990s.

I love the Snetterton 300 track but this one is something else on a fast lap. Believe it or not I even have the 1960's version which has the mile long "Norwich Straight"..guess what's at the end of the straight? A hairpin! lol! Manic and mad or what? Insane really.  ;D

grT

girlracerTracey

June 08, 2014, 09:12:58 PM #4 Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 09:18:39 PM by girlracerTracey
Here's the circuit in real life. Minus "Mickey-Mouse" chicane. I love it!

https://www.youtube.com/v/kBg86bjr8l0

BOBR6 84

Great video.. Those nortons are badass  8)

girlracerTracey

That's why as a special dispensation on the interpretation of the wankel engine capacity they allowed the Norton and the Roton (with the Norton engine) into the 500cc Grand Prix in 1991..as per the 1991 500cc bikeset you and I have for the gp500 pc game..

They were only outgunned by the 500cc 2-stroke grand prix bikes..

Amazing motorcycles were those Nortons! I'd love to have a JPS Norton in gpbikes!

As well as a KR750 Kawasaki 2 stroke triple..beautiful and evocative bikes those Kawaskis..the original "Green Meanies"!

Would love to have one of those alongside Rodney's TZ750..

Mick Grant was timed at 190 miles an hour at the TT on one of these beasts..

https://www.youtube.com/v/kuvlCPEpI40

grT

girlracerTracey

Just found this..had to post it!

What do you reckon Rodney and guys? TZ750s. KR750s and RG680s! Bliss!

I would volunteer as league organiser in a shot!

https://www.youtube.com/v/ExJfXZ5ZgNI

grT

HornetMaX

I would not, I like to keep my chances of not getting lung cancer down.

MaX.

P.S.
Barry, Barry ... naughty as always ...

Allen

As a slight correction to grT, it was still called Russells chicane even before they castrated it. And the version that is available for GP-Bikes (rework of Lazercutters rf1 track I believe, judging by the too flat bombhole) is from after they opened it up a bit. If you look on google maps and see the satellite image, the two green areas around the chicane show where it went in 1990 when they first put it in... it was much tighter (I did hear that the F1 teams complained it was too tight!). The original 1970s-1990 chicane was actually a very fast sweeper, fourth gear, grabbing fifth on the exit . The reason they changed it was because there was just an Armco on the side of the track to separate Russells from the pit lane (but then the bombhole had no run off either). As an aside, they nearly had to delay the start of the 1989 Willhire 25 hour race (that's not a typo) to repair the Armco at that very place... and the man doing the repairs was none other than TT winner and Ex GP racer Alex George (he has a recovery firm based near the circuit and used to do recovery for the car racing, as well as having his race shop in the paddock. His ex boss the head of Honda Racing UK, who's name has completely slipped my mind at the moment, also happened to be the manager of Snetterton circuit at that time).
I could also mention the last time the long circuit was used, Phil Read was a major pain in the arse and kept asking the marshals for the track to be swept (it was used about once per year by then) and Wayne Gardner gave every one a good laugh pulling monster wheelies on a Moriwaki Kawasaki... and yes the hairpin was one reason they stopped using it, as there was no run off (just a large earth bank that I remember seeing some poor sod fly straight over when his brakes failed!)

BOBR6 84

Lol thanks Allen, good read mate!  8)

Allen

My pleasure...

I'd agree on Thruxton... another fast sweeping circuit (first time I ever got a knee down was at Thruxton, going through church onto the back straight... and that was without any knee sliders.. yeah, I'm that old  ;))

girlracerTracey

June 09, 2014, 06:56:02 PM #12 Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 06:57:58 PM by girlracerTracey
That explains why the "bomb-hole" on the gpbikes' Snetterton track has no "hole" Allen. It's a shame because the character of that bend is not like it should be. It's just another bend on the "ported" track. In real life it was easy to scrape your exhaust round there when the suspension compressed..I have my Dad's old club racing videos from the 1980's to prove it..

I remember my father telling me that he had an exhaust split at Snetterton on a midweek practice session. Alex George welded it up for him in his garage at the circuit. My Dad said that Alex George was a moody old bugger but a brilliant welder..

I hadn't realised they smoothed the Russell's chicane out after the "proper" chicane was first introduced in the late 1980's..at least it made it a bit faster I guess.

My Dad also told me that Graeme Crosby, also on a high bar Moriwaki Kawasaki straight lined the high speed flick through Russells "Chicane" in a Formula One race in the early 1980's when he first came over to the U.K...mounting and using the kerb in the process. Much to the annoyance of the works Honda F1 team. It simply wasn't "cricket" you know?

Crosby was an animal on that high bar Kawasaki by all accounts. I think he even won a couple of F1 rounds on it from what I was told..

Wish I could find a YouTube video of that. Fast in a straight line but wobbled like hell on the power.. Proper racing in those days. No "namby-pamby" traction control for those boys!

grT  ;)     

Allen

Alex had a reputation for being a miserable old git... actually not deserved at all (if you knew him).. and somewhat more than a good welder, a good engineer (did his own tuning work including big bore kit for TZ350s and designed his own chassis for a 250 Rotax)

and actually it might have been Cros and not Digger at the last meeting on the old circuit... it was a while back (and I certainly don't have the program from that meeting.. but might have some pics somewhere... hmm, that would take a while to go through dads old pictures to find them.. but that will have to wait as I have to do some work otherwise I don't earn any money..)