• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:18:36 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Motorbikes books (theory and technology)

Started by HornetMaX, June 02, 2014, 10:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

Hi all, a short list of motorbikes books I have, with some comments:

• Motorcycle dynamics, by V. Cossalter
    This is THE book to have if you're seriously interested in motorbike dynamics theory. It's technical and you'll need some basics physics (good undergraduate doable, graduate level better). It covers plenty plenty of aspects (kinematics, dynamics, tires, suspensions). It's not a technology book: if you want to know what's a big bang crankshaft, then you need a different book.
  • Motorcycle Handling And Chassis Design by T.Foale
    Also very good, much less math, much more words. Sometimes it's a pro, sometimes a cons. Very readable, to be considered if the Cossalter is too complex for you. A bit old.
  • Sportbike performance handbook by K.Cameron
    Less theoretical than the previous two, more of a practical thingy. Some parts are nowadays irrelevant (carburetors) and others a bit outdated.
  • MotoGP Technology by N.Spalding
    Very nice pictures, relatively recent, but only general information about the technology, almost no data or relevant theory. Easy reading.

MaX.

Allen

June 22, 2014, 04:12:40 PM #1 Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 05:48:49 PM by Allen
Tony's website has several extracts of his work (he's had some very interesting alternative designs over the years)

http://www.tonyfoale.com

also worth a look as one of the other alternative designs (along with TF) is Hossack - which became the BMW duolever design (there were several Hossack chassis used by single cylinder racers in the 80s)

http://www.hossack-design.co.uk

personally I'd read Tony before moving to the highly maths based stuff.. Cossalter can be heavy going.

If you want stuff about more grunt out of an engine, A Graham Bells, 2 and 4 stroke tuning books are both a good read (covers stuff about gearing, which may be useful)

and if you don't like all the tech stuff.. I'd suggest Berry on Bikes.. the blokes an idiot but seems to know how to select some nice pictures :)

Carbs irrelevant.. bah... Only purchased my first fuel injected vehicle last year, and that's got four wheels ;)

HornetMaX

Quote from: Allen on June 22, 2014, 04:12:40 PM
Carbs irrelevant.. bah... Only purchased my first fuel injected vehicle last year, and that's got four wheels ;)
Irrelevant for motorbike track races, no offence intended to our classic bike lovers :)

Thx for the additional links.

MaX.

janaucarre