• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:23:57 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

rider look back

Started by Stout Johnson, November 02, 2014, 01:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stout Johnson

One thing that is kind of annoying: While using the "look back" in GPB the rider often turns to the 'wrong' side. I know it is hard to implement to always have the virtual rider look to the side that would be natural, but sometimes it looks weird, especially in replays or 3rd person view.

• The logic at the moment seems to be:
    IF rider steers right and looks back THEN virtual rider turns head to the left and vice versa
  • Better logic might be:
    IF distance between rider and grass on either side of the track is smaller to the left side THEN the virtual rider should look over right shoulder and vice versa
      (rider irl would always look to where they see a bigger portion of the things behind - and if you look to the side where the grass is nearer, you would see mostly only the grass and not the track) 

Wouldn't that deliver a more realistic feel? (The logic might be tweaked for cases when riders are passing, so the virtual rider would rather always look to the sider where he hears the other bike pass or close behind... just as an option. The logic above might already be sufficient)
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

PeterV

November 02, 2014, 01:27:47 PM #1 Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 01:33:32 PM by PeterV
+1000

This mainly is aggravating when leaving the pits and wanting too look over youre shouklder to see if the track is clear to join.
9 out of 10 times you will look the wrong way  >:(
I see this as a problem in beta6 as well, seeing as that you can now rejoin on to the track from a brake mistake and wanting to look back
and wanting to check if the track is free to rejoin, but instead you are looking at flowers on the otherside and not oncoming traffic.  ;D

Ian

I have mentioned this a long time ago when Cadwell Park first came out. ;D

HornetMaX

Makes sense. But I'm wondering if a better solution would be to have only two buttons (look left/right) instead of the current 3 (look left/right/back) and when you press the button to look right, if you hold it long enough it will look back (turning the head to the right).

So quick push = look to the side (left or right), long push = look back (turning left or right).

MaX.

Stout Johnson

Quote from: HornetMaX on November 03, 2014, 08:37:08 AM
Makes sense. But I'm wondering if a better solution would be to have only two buttons (look left/right) instead of the current 3 (look left/right/back) and when you press the button to look right, if you hold it long enough it will look back (turning the head to the right).

So quick push = look to the side (left or right), long push = look back (turning left or right).

MaX.

Great idea in general - saves one button and let's the rider decide on which side to look. But it would have to allow to look to the side AND relatively quickly behind. Not sure whether this can be achieved. Double-tapping buttons could be an idea, but I am not sure whether this feels good...
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

HornetMaX

Quote from: Stout Johnson on November 03, 2014, 10:43:59 AM
Quote from: HornetMaX on November 03, 2014, 08:37:08 AM

MaX.

Great idea in general - saves one button and let's the rider decide on which side to look. But it would have to allow to look to the side AND relatively quickly behind. Not sure whether this can be achieved. Double-tapping buttons could be an idea, but I am not sure whether this feels good...
Yes, one would have to try it out to be sure. I think the movement could be continuous, so the longer you hold it, the farther left and back you look. Double-tap could be good to.

If I'm not wrong, right now when you look left/right the view progressively chnages (like rotating your head), while when you look back, the view "jumps" to the rear looking view (which is kinda bad).

MaX.