• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:11:35 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Intensity of the throttle affects sounds

Started by Eagle, January 11, 2015, 09:04:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

Quote from: Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) on January 12, 2015, 09:12:15 AM
Even with a spreadsheet you still need to enter the values. In the program i'll attempt to code, everything is already written and you'll just have to enter the max value, since it's what makes change everything.
Ah now I see what you mean .... parsing the .scl, that's fairly easy.

Quote from: Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) on January 12, 2015, 09:12:15 AM
The 2 operations are:

Point's Value and refPitch operation : old max value * point value / new max value = new point value (or refPitch)

Min/maxPitch operation (pretty useless but i prefer doing it, even if the change is at 0,000001) : minPitch(or max) * old max value * old refPitch / new max value / new refPitch = new min or maxPitch

All of that repeated again and again.
I know that. What I meant is  I'd have to think out what a GUI would offer in terms of features to manipulate the .scl.
Adapting an existing .scl to a new MaxValue is not the only useful operation.

I could display a graph with the levels of each sample in a layer (to visually check that they align correctly).
I could make it so that if you alter the "end" of one sample, the "start" of the subsequent sample is automatically adapted (in principle, I could even do this graphically, dragging the "level" graph). And so on.

Parsing the original .scl and writing out the new one would be trivial.

But again, the feature we need the most (ability to "play" the .scl) is probably the hardest to implement (at least for me).

MaX.

MaX.

Eagle

Cannot think about all of that now, maybe in 6 hours (i'm not at home actually). I'll try to help (if i can) thinking about what can be useful in this tool.

PiBoSo

Quote from: HornetMaX on January 11, 2015, 06:27:43 PM
I tend to agree that the sound department is one in which GPB lacks (especially after somebody made me listen to some iRacing sounds, gee that was just awesome).

BTW, "Fire spit" is most of the time a sign of a poorly tuned engine (especially on road bikes on which people do home-made modifications).

MaX.

Erhm... The sounds of GP Bikes are made by the same person who does the iRacing ones  ::)
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

HornetMaX

Quote from: PiBoSo on January 12, 2015, 10:07:57 AM
Quote from: HornetMaX on January 11, 2015, 06:27:43 PM
I tend to agree that the sound department is one in which GPB lacks (especially after somebody made me listen to some iRacing sounds, gee that was just awesome).

Erhm... The sounds of GP Bikes are made by the same person who does the iRacing ones  ::)
Well then I don't know then, maybe he did a better job on iRacing or maybe the sound engine in iRacing is better than the one in GPB. Or both.

This one is not the particular video I was referring to (I'm trying to find it), but these are already enough:

https://www.youtube.com/v/1DC5JSvNfys https://www.youtube.com/v/YGhUAjBvzbU

I don't have iRacing so I can oly compare the sound I hear in videos, but comments from people that do have it (and GPB of course) were saying that the difference in sound overall quality was very big.
Again, don't know the reason: better samples, better sound engine, or both.

MaX.

PiBoSo

Quote from: HornetMaX on January 12, 2015, 07:36:06 AM
Quote from: Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) on January 12, 2015, 07:13:39 AM
The 990 has tdu1's agusta brutale sounds that is described to be an I4 engine. Sounds more like a V4 to me than a I4... Just a though..
The murasama is a V5 ...

And I would be surprised if Piboso used sounds from other games. How can you be sure the sound is from TDU ?
The murasama sound (as far as we know) has been created by a professional sound engineer especially for GPB. That's why the samples are encrypted.

The sounds have been created by a sound engineer, but not especially for GPB, except for the Varese.
Greg did all the engine sounds for TDU, too, so no surprise  ;)
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

LOOPATELI

Also I thinks there is a kind of problem with panning (panoramic, stereo or whatever is called). Don't know if this has been told yet, but in my opinion sounds are panned to much, in both while playing and replay

BOBR6 84

I like the 990 sound.. Not perfect but sounds raspy enough through my system.. I made 2 different sounds for the fireblade.. Iv deleted them because they sound totally different when I add it to the bike in game?

Eagle

>Piboso

Ah, thanks for the reply. :)

Do you think i can use tdu's sounds too ? (actually using the zx-10r ones for the mods i try to make)

>BOBR6 84

What do you mean by different ? Before a tool will be made, i suggest you to use the operations i have written higher in the posts and fully rewrite the scl, it worked perfectly on my zxr750 mod (and will do same for the 400/250). :)

HornetMaX

Quote from: PiBoSo on January 12, 2015, 05:49:41 PM
The sounds have been created by a sound engineer, but not especially for GPB, except for the Varese.
Small world :)

If in his spare time he cares to improve a bit the sound of our dear bikes that would be appreciated. But then, I doubt he has any spare time at all.

BTW, this was the video I was referring to:

https://www.youtube.com/v/6TGn2W7e4NA

MaX.

BOBR6 84

The samples I used sound completely different when in game.. Thats what I mean.. I dont know what I am doing though so most probably my mistakes..  :P re-writing the scl? Lol ok...

Might be a good idea to set up some kind of sound database.. Any samples people have upload to one place for all to use.. Mix and match..

Klax75

Quote from: HornetMaX on January 12, 2015, 08:08:36 PM
Quote from: PiBoSo on January 12, 2015, 05:49:41 PM
Small world :)

If in his spare time he cares to improve a bit the sound of our dear bikes that would be appreciated. But then, I doubt he has any spare time at all.

BTW, this was the video I was referring to:

https://www.youtube.com/v/6TGn2W7e4NA

MaX.

I've had iRacing for years and have raced that car several times. If I remember right it is a real car that uses a motorcycle engine, I don't remember what kind of bike engine though. I use to play with phones on when racing and that cars sounded really nice. You could feel the different pitches and over revs. We need a sound like that in GP Bikes.

We also need other sounds, wind, pit lane horns and buzzers, etc.

HornetMaX

Quote from: BOBR6 84 on January 13, 2015, 12:03:42 AM
Might be a good idea to set up some kind of sound database.. Any samples people have upload to one place for all to use.. Mix and match..
The difficulty is not to find samples, but to find appropriate samples (samples with the right properties), to properly clean-up a sample and finally to add all the extras (sample with throttle off, pops, transmission sound and so on).

It's not as easy as "replace one .wav with another" and you're ready to go.

MaX.

BOBR6 84

Yeah I found that out for myself... Lol. The sound, sorry.. The noise I created.. Is not fit for human ears  :-\
Its interesting though and im keen to learn some more.. To make a good sound has to be rewarding!

Are you any good with this stuff MaX?

HornetMaX

Quote from: BOBR6 84 on January 13, 2015, 07:50:42 AM
Are you any good with this stuff MaX?
Not really. I have some memories of signal processing but that's about all.

A long ago I wrote a basic explanation of the .scl, it's here.

MaX.

BOBR6 84

Yep, been reading through it! very helpful thanks.. still difficult though lol

this video clip aint useful but i remember being blown away by how loud these bikes were.. they literally bellow past, was amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/v/Tl7zjmLUOjo

only sounds iv heard in GPB so far which have similar characteristics belong to the moto2 bikes.. Warlock??
if that sound can be tweaked some more here and there would be sweet as a nut!!  8)