• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:25:15 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Just another strange thing about the virtual rider ?

Started by HornetMaX, December 18, 2014, 08:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

The below happened straight out of the pits on Victoria with the 990. The video shows the fact at normal speed and in slow-mo right after.

https://www.youtube.com/v/deSHpEfNtsY

Accelerating out of the pits, the front wheel lifts.

With the front still in the air, the virtual rider steers to the right (of the bike) for a while, before putting the front wheel back in the middle.
That's already unexpected: I don't use DST/DSA, so I was under the impression that as soon as the front is lifting, the virtual rider keeps the steering centered.
Here it seems that, for a short while, it steers to the right. Is this something new introduced with beta6 ?

Now when the front is about to go back down on the track the steering is in the middle (to avoid landing at an angle, which would cause heavy weave), all good.
But at the same time I was pushing the stick to the left (as to lean left) and as soon as the front touches the track, the bike steers quickly to the right (to do what I'm asking, lean left, I guess) and it falls almost immediately. It falls in a way that looks very much like a high speed weave (the thing some people are complaining about  in terms of bike's physics, most here call it wobble).

That makes me wonder: is there something strange going on in situations where the front is lifting just a bit and then it comes down again ?
Could the above be what happens when, exiting a turn, we open wide and we get some unexpected weave ?
I mean: exiting a left turn we're still with the stick to the left (even if it is progressively going to the middle); if opening the throttle lifts the front and the virtual rider puts the handlebars in the middle and when the front comes down again the virtual rider steers quickly/too much to the right (to try to do what out stick is dictating, i.e lean left), could this be the reason for the weave ?

MaX.

P.S.
I have the replay saved, in case anybody is interested.

BOBR6 84

December 18, 2014, 09:22:47 PM #1 Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 09:26:56 PM by BOBR6 84
Well described! Has to be the issue watching and reading that..

Also on my slow-mo video, the bike is leant over, the bars are shaking left/right, causing the front wheel to bounce up and down on the side of the tyre.. Which is just weird.

Obviously I would never try but.. If I was cranked over in a turn and I started shaking the bars I guess thats what would happen before.. Crashing.

BOBR6 84

Daft thought but.. Is it possible that the front wheel isnt perfectly round in GPB? Lol

EdouardB

Max, this is pretty close to what I tried to explain in the topic I created. :P

HornetMaX

Quote from: BOBR6 84 on December 18, 2014, 11:48:55 PM
Daft thought but.. Is it possible that the front wheel isnt perfectly round in GPB? Lol
BOBR6 you stop drinking before posting ! :)

Quote from: EdouardB on December 19, 2014, 06:55:49 AM
Max, this is pretty close to what I tried to explain in the topic I created. :P
Right, I forgot about it, sorry(http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=1604.0).

The reasoning is practically identical, the only differences I see are:

• In my case I really don't see any bump possibly starting the thing.
  • In my case the bike is not leant, it's essentially straight (which, even if a bump was there, should make it more manageable by the suspensions).
  • In my case (on beta6 instead of beta5) I see the front turned during a wheelie, which is something I never noticed before (which makes my reply to you in the other post no longer 100% correct).

Don't know what to think about it: maybe the fact some steering is now possible during wheelies is an attempt to give us some control of the bike direction while wheeling (which would be good).

Would be nice to know, but what's more interesting is what happens when the front goes back down as that (as also hinted by you) could be the cause (or one of the causes) of the heavy weave we see, especially combined with the tendency to wheelie (which is, in my opinion, still a bit excessive).

MaX.

BOBR6 84

no no wasnt drinking... was at work completely wired on coffee lol like most nights  ::)

nuovaic

Max,
I'd be interested in seeing your steering setup. I cannot replicate that in the video in the slightest. Looks almost like a controller glitch! What % direct lean you using?

Something else I've also noticed (1000 Murasama), is when the bike is in a weave, the suspension front and rear goes into overdrive (expected I guess) and as we know the front leaves the track momentarily each cycle. but also the rear wheel seems to move left or right, like it's sliding, in response to the opposite of what the front does. I am convinced the rear lifts as well during the weave cycle, but could be wrong.

It would be nice to try this beta without any chassis flex, just to see...

http://www.youtube.com/v/GTtwDHpJCx0

HornetMaX

Quote from: nuovaic on December 19, 2014, 05:38:38 PM
Max,
I'd be interested in seeing your steering setup. I cannot replicate that in the video in the slightest. Looks almost like a controller glitch! What % direct lean you using?
What do you mean ? What exactly you can't reproduce ?

I use 85% - 100% direct lean, no deadzone, 100% linearity, no smooth.
Honestly, I don't think it depends on the steering setup.

Quote from: nuovaic on December 19, 2014, 05:38:38 PM
It would be nice to try this beta without any chassis flex, just to see...
If I recall correctly, if you put the stiffness at 0 in the chassis section, you get the non-flexible bike.
But the weave thing was there before the flexibility, so it's hard to blame it for that.

MaX.