• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Live timing and streaming

Started by PiBoSo, January 24, 2015, 01:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PiBoSo

There have been several requests to improve live timing and to add a plugin interface to receive race information in real-time.
However, those suggestions are scattered around the forum and difficult to find.
So please write in this thread, in great detail, what you need and why.
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

HornetMaX

Just to be sure, you mean in-game (i.e. for an output plugin), outside the game (like the current live timing) or both ?

MaX.

PiBoSo

Quote from: HornetMaX on January 25, 2015, 10:10:19 AM
Just to be sure, you mean in-game (i.e. for an output plugin), outside the game (like the current live timing) or both ?

MaX.

Both.

Hawk

It would be great to be able to live stream races and have the live timing graphics overlaid on screen the same as you see on MotoGP or F1 broadcasts, and also have the practice and qualifying live timing with overlaid graphics too showing sector times during the lap/s and also their current position on the grid according to their current fastest lap time.

For the live streaming, it would be good if the live stream could be streamed at a resolution of 720p or better? Not sure how much tasking that would take or whether it would have a big effect on the FPS rates?

Also if some broadcast tools could be developed for live streaming: Maybe tied to the track cameras so that the producer of the live stream could switch to different cameras around the circuit rather than the cameras being tied to the riders. I think this would open up better possibilities for a more professional live stream production of events.
It would also be good to have a commentary facility tool built into the live stream broadcast tools so that a commentator can commentate on the live stream as it's happening.

Whether this is all possible to integrate into GPB I don't know, but I hope you see what I mean?  :)

Hawk.

PiBoSo

Quote from: Hawk_UK on January 25, 2015, 01:07:10 PM
It would be great to be able to live stream races and have the live timing graphics overlaid on screen the same as you see on MotoGP or F1 broadcasts, and also have the practice and qualifying live timing with overlaid graphics too showing sector times during the lap/s and also their current position on the grid according to their current fastest lap time.

For the live streaming, it would be good if the live stream could be streamed at a resolution of 720p or better? Not sure how much tasking that would take or whether it would have a big effect on the FPS rates?

Also if some broadcast tools could be developed for live streaming: Maybe tied to the track cameras so that the producer of the live stream could switch to different cameras around the circuit rather than the cameras being tied to the riders. I think this would open up better possibilities for a more professional live stream production of events.
It would also be good to have a commentary facility tool built into the live stream broadcast tools so that a commentator can commentate on the live stream as it's happening.

Whether this is all possible to integrate into GPB I don't know, but I hope you see what I mean?  :)

Hawk.

There already are very good software for streaming, no need to integrate it in GP Bikes.
What page would you use for live streaming? Would replay spectate mode be ok?

Klax75

I know this isn't about live timing but it is about replays. Can we have a camera that changes to different riders? So riders will close gap times to each other or times that are changing a lot. It will jump to them as a "action" camera. It can still be the main track camera just goes to where the riders with close times are. So if two riders keep changing position it would jump to them. Or if some falls down it quickly jumps to them. And so on, iRacing has something like this.

Hawk

Yes. Live-Replay screen in spectator mode would be good, but with a production function menu integrated into the replay function menu(so that the producer can show an instant replay in real time and have the ability to switch between the different cameras around the circuit). Also with an option to hide this menu off screen(to keep the streamed image clean) and the producer can operate the functions straight from keyboard.

It maybe best to have both abilities to show a rider camera and a track camera(more versatility for the producer), as well as being able to bring up on screen a circuit map showing were all the different track cameras/riders are on track in real time(This would help the producer pinpoint any potentially interesting action that is happening on track)

It would be good to have functions to overlay and hide graphics showing the current rider positions(1st/2nd/3rd, etc, etc), and their lap times/speed, whether they are gaining on the rider ahead, etc, etc. All these graphic overlays could be put on separate functions so they were not all put on screen at the same time, this would allow the producer to chose which graphics he wanted at any particular time.

I'm looking at functions that would be useful for a producer of any live streamed events and not particularly for a user that just wants to watch a replay after an event, though I suppose the functions I propose could be very useful for both.  :)

Hawk.

PiBoSo

Quote from: Hawk_UK on January 25, 2015, 02:07:15 PM
Yes. Live-Replay screen in spectator mode would be good, but with a production function menu integrated into the replay function menu(so that the producer can show an instant replay in real time and have the ability to switch between the different cameras around the circuit). Also with an option to hide this menu off screen(to keep the streamed image clean) and the producer can operate the functions straight from keyboard.

It maybe best to have both abilities to show a rider camera and a track camera(more versatility for the producer), as well as being able to bring up on screen a circuit map showing were all the different track cameras/riders are on track in real time(This would help the producer pinpoint any potentially interesting action that is happening on track)

It would be good to have functions to overlay and hide graphics showing the current rider positions(1st/2nd/3rd, etc, etc), and their lap times/speed, whether they are gaining on the rider ahead, etc, etc. All these graphic overlays could be put on separate functions so they were not all put on screen at the same time, this would allow the producer to chose which graphics he wanted at any particular time.

I'm looking at functions that would be useful for a producer of any live streamed events and not particularly for a user that just wants to watch a replay after an event, though I suppose the functions I propose could be very useful for both.  :)

Hawk.

Looks like the best solution would be to have two screens:
- one for streaming only, with overlays for information
- another one for producer control: choose the camera / target, see the position of the bikes on a map, and preview of what will be shown on the first screen

How do other simulators / games handle streaming?

HornetMaX

In-game I'd like to have:

• Current standings (best lap if practice/quali/warm-up, position if race), with time gaps
  • Position of other riders on the track

MaX.

Hawk

Quote from: PiBoSo on January 25, 2015, 08:17:26 PM

Hawk.

- another one for producer control: choose the camera / target, see the position of the bikes on a map, and preview of what will be shown on the first screen

Sounds good to me Piboso.

Here is a video recording of one of a "Live-Streamed" FSR F1 World Champs race run on rFactor 2 with live commentary(I think these guys are the best there is at live-streaming a virtual race event at the moment. Very professional). If we could have overlaid screen graphics same or similar as this showing the same sort of information in real time I think most would be well pleased.

http://www.youtube.com/v/nDvgy6aRtNw

With the two screens: If a producer had two monitors available, would it be possible for him to have the actual live stream screen on one monitor(Live-Streaming that monitor) and the "Producer Control" screen on the other monitor(not live streaming) so he wouldn't have to flick back and forth between screens, and the people viewing the live-stream would then have a continuous view of the event rather than the producer flicking back and forth between the two screens. I hope you understand what I'm trying to explain here?  :)

Hawk.

PiBoSo

Quote from: Hawk_UK on January 26, 2015, 12:14:31 AM

Hawk.

Here is a video recording of one of a "Live-Streamed" FSR F1 World Champs race run on rFactor 2 with live commentary(I think these guys are the best there is at live-streaming a virtual race event at the moment. Very professional). If we could have overlaid screen graphics same or similar as this showing the same sort of information in real time I think most would be well pleased.

With the two screens: If a producer had two monitors available, would it be possible for him to have the actual live stream screen on one monitor(Live-Streaming that monitor) and the "Producer Control" screen on the other monitor(not live streaming) so he wouldn't have to flick back and forth between screens, and the people viewing the live-stream would then have a continuous view of the event rather than the producer flicking back and forth between the two screens. I hope you understand what I'm trying to explain here?  :)

Hawk.

In this video, how is the producer choosing what car to watch and what camera to use?

Klax75

I know in iRacing you can join a race as a spectator and watch and it won't effect the race and you can't communicate with the drivers. Or you can join as a ghost. Where the competitors can't see you at all but you can race on the track to practice without interfering with anyone if you're much slower. There is a setting in replays or when spectating that you can choose the action and the software were skip between drivers. Usually going off close times,  position changes, or if someone has a off. It usually does a pretty good time showing the action that is happening when there are a lot of drivers.

I'd also like to see a feature they have where the lap times are a pull down menu so you can at a glance see all your lap times without going to the menu you screen, and you can pick a lap and the replay will jump to the beginning off that lap.

Here is a iRacing.com live broadcast for there F1 series.

iRacing World Championship Grand Prix Series - Round 12 - Spa-Francorchamps
http://www.youtube.com/v/XjgYfZA7S7M

Hawk

Quote from: PiBoSo on January 26, 2015, 12:32:02 AM
Quote from: Hawk_UK on January 26, 2015, 12:14:31 AM

Hawk.

Hawk.

In this video, how is the producer choosing what car to watch and what camera to use?

I believe these cameras are tracking the drivers(same as in GPBikes), but they are using the information they gather from the screen overlays(time gaps between drivers, etc) to choose a driver that is in the action and would be of interest to the viewer. I guess you could have a rider camera selection function as part of the producers second screen, or(if it's possible), to have a real-time track map showing were the riders are as part of the producers tools(on the second screen) were the producer can just click on any particular rider from the real-time track map and it would automatically show that rider tracking camera on the first live-streaming screen. But at the same time the producer could also choose between the different camera views(Trackside/Orbit/Cockpit, etc, etc) maybe by selecting a camera mode from a menu in the producer tools before hand depending on what type of shot the producer required at the time? A newly selected camera mode would only take effect(on the first Live-Streaming screen) after the producer had selected a camera mode and then selected a rider from the real-time track map; this would give the producer better control of the live stream scene.

Hawk.

BOBR6 84

Brilliant!  8) to watch GPB like that would be awesome! We need jack burnicle and jamie whitham on board!!  ;D

PiBoSo

Quote from: Hawk_UK on January 26, 2015, 01:02:11 AM
I believe these cameras are tracking the drivers(same as in GPBikes), but they are using the information they gather from the screen overlays(time gaps between drivers, etc) to choose a driver that is in the action and would be of interest to the viewer. I guess you could have a rider camera selection function as part of the producers second screen, or(if it's possible), to have a real-time track map showing were the riders are as part of the producers tools(on the second screen) were the producer can just click on any particular rider from the real-time track map and it would automatically show that rider tracking camera on the first live-streaming screen. But at the same time the producer could also choose between the different camera views(Trackside/Orbit/Cockpit, etc, etc) maybe by selecting a camera mode from a menu in the producer tools before hand depending on what type of shot the producer required at the time? A newly selected camera mode would only take effect(on the first Live-Streaming screen) after the producer had selected a camera mode and then selected a rider from the real-time track map; this would give the producer better control of the live stream scene.

Hawk.

How do they actually choose the camera and driver in the other sims? Keyboard shortcuts? No control is visible in the streaming.