• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:01:19 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

RIDE - Gameplay

Started by rodney007, February 14, 2015, 07:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doubledragoncc

Well I just got back from the bike show where I tried it on the PS4 and it is sooooo lame. It was just toooooooooo easy and no fun for me. I did however get to talk to the rep for the ride and they gave me the contact info to talk about me controller so I told them it was a great game!!! Will I now go to hell and be banished to ride a vespa for eternity????

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

girlracerTracey

February 15, 2015, 08:43:10 PM #16 Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 08:46:11 PM by girlracerTracey
Hi DD. We had a guy from xbla do the same thing at the show. The demo version of RIDE at the show is locked into a mode where most if not all riding assists are turned on. Including infuriatingly "auto brakes". So you are on standard difficulty setting (as opposed to "semi-pro" or even god forbid "pro" setting) and the riding assists are all turned on from what I understand. tcs on full, auto braking etc. etc.

The chap concerned from my xbla racing league actually pleaded with the guy in charge to switch off the assists and set it to "pro" handling. He was told that the mode the demo was in was the only mode available. So the answer was a "no" to his polite request..

I think we are all none the wiser really about this new game because of this. It could be quite good it could be really bad. We just don't know yet.

What a crazy thing to do a bike show. It's not as though real life bikers are incapable of operating manually operated brakes..or at least you would have thought so anyway ;)

Another great Milestone "moment" in arranging the basis for the demo I think..  ::)

grT  :)

h106frp

I'm guessing it may as well have an auto-rider, just sit back and watch the visuals go past, maybe its a 'gaming sim' where you can pretend to be playing a computer game while you are actually off doing something else.

I think this just demonstrates where gaming is at the moment in the wider sense, small developers used to be proud of their gameplay and product longevity, now it just seems that they are just interested in franchises and selling add-ons, i guess its no-mods and purchase for cash bikes/leathers/tracks...

Why wont they just finish at least one of these to a decent level cant take much more effort to add at least original SBK handling, you can always dumb it down in the options if that's your thing. I avoid the term physics because even without modeled physics you can have bikes that at least 'feel' realistic.

HornetMaX

Quote from: girlracerTracey on February 15, 2015, 08:43:10 PM
I think we are all none the wiser really about this new game because of this. It could be quite good it could be really bad. We just don't know yet.
We may not know, but if asked "Will this game be crap like the past ones or much better ?" I know for sure where I'd put my money on  ;D

MaX.

doubledragoncc

Watching the visuals surprised the shit out of me, they were like something from 4 years ago, nothing special and bland and repetitive.

If you want to try it out go right ahead but I can see many getting bored real quick with it as far as riding satisfaction goes.

I would rather hang with the big boys and girl here and spend time dustin me ass off after I dump the bike again lol.

Each for their own. Its just actually trying it pissed me off. I had hope for something better for once.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

girlracerTracey

February 15, 2015, 10:51:50 PM #20 Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 11:05:04 PM by girlracerTracey
In commercial terms motogp14 has been a success though Max. For a relatively small independent developer in the sphere of the mainstream gaming industry it has shifted a requisite number of units. It's a matter of taste. Most people, most mainstream gamers, would not I think warm to the challenges of gpbikes. That is an undeniable fact of life I'm afraid. Does this fact make motogp14 "crap"? I guess the answer depends on the criteria by which you judge the question and the possible answer..

Motogp14 for the type of game it was designed to be, having played it week in week out for over 8 months now, is actually pretty good as a "simcade" racer. Much better than anything that preceded  it on the consoles in my personal opinion and in the opinion of most ppl who have played it and taken the time to get used to the game.

Equally I have to tell you that I know a number of ppl who have recently tried the gpbikes demo and have immediately put it down again. They describe their experience as being as unimpressive as no doubt yours was Max on motogp14. So two sides to this one I think if I am to be honest with you guys on what is the official gpbikes forum. Gulp! ;)

My genuine concern with this, notwithstanding the current perceived flaws with beta 6c, is that  the gpbikes demo, in its current state, is not selling gpbikes to ppl out there quite as well as it could be doing. The 125cc bike is struggling badly I think under the latest beta releases.

So why not expand the demo to one of the mod bikes that does work well with beta 6 physics? Seems like an obvious thing to do to me. Or get the default bikes working properly in the current version of the game and do so as promptly as you possibly can!

As I opined earlier in this thread we are talking about different genres here Max. In terms of a main-stream game with main-stream appeal gpbikes, particularly in its current state, would, I have to be say, be an absolute non-starter. Ditto motogp14 would be as an "indie" developed m/c racing "simulator". "Different horses for different courses" as it were.

So what is "crap" to one person and to one commercial context might not be "crap" to a different person and in a different commercial context..if you get my meaning?

What did you expect Max? You cannot realistically expect a hardcore "sim" physics on a general console release?  ;)

The problem, as I see it, is that we only have two alternatives these days. PiBoSo or Milestone s.p.a.   

There is sadly no other competition out there and no "occupied" middle ground, as such, which might produce a greater variety of "sim" orientated m/c racing games. Which in my view is a great shame. The golden age of the commercial gaming industry, of the turn of the millennium, has sadly now passed.

This is why it is so important that PiBoSo drives this thing forwards as best he can. Milestone s.p.a. needs at least some form of competition. Or I fear we might all be doomed..

Kart Racing Pro is all very well & good but it ain't on two wheels Mr PiBoSo.  ;)  We need this project to be taken forward & ultimately finished. I sincerely hope that this does happen with gpbikes. I think the end result could truly be something special.

grT

matty0l215

Got a TLDR version of that :P haha

As the old saying goes "horses for courses". If you want to blast around on a moto gp bike as rossi or marquez without a real challange, gp14 is great fun, esspically to muck around on with mates :D
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

WALKEN

Good thing this is in off topic and with that being said its rightfully so.

Discussing GPBikes in a console game thread is worthless!  GPBikes will just keep on. keeping on while others will come and go year after year.

If I was to compare this "new" game "ride" I would say its rival is long since been gone, Tourist Trophy.  I doubt  Ride will even come close to Tourist Trophy. 

I also feel GPBikes does not need to be appealing to the console market in any way shape or form as its apples and oranges. 
Help me, help you!

Hawk

February 15, 2015, 11:22:06 PM #23 Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 11:24:55 PM by Hawk_UK
@Tracey: I remember telling Piboso straight after the release of beta 6c that the default bike physics would actually stop people from buying GPB and that the default bikes urgently need their physics updating pronto or sales will drop through the floor. The default bikes available for demo users in their current state are an absolute disgrace in my opinion and do nothing at all in promoting GPB; in fact they are very likely to put people off buying GPB. I've stopped using the 2 strokes altogether because they are so bad(All two stroke MOD Bikes have default bike physics files too). But nothing has been done about it, so I can only assume he's not that bothered until the release of the next beta?? Crazy in my opinion!!  Very frustrating indeed, especially when he goes on about GPB not selling very well. Well the answer is staring him in the face as far as I'm concerned! ::) ::)

Get the default demo bike physics sorted out Piboso(or get one of the Physics modders to sort them out for you? Seems a good idea to me. ).... I mean God knows what damage has been done to sales with the crappy bike physics on the default demo bikes.  ::)

If only people could demo ride the good bikes in GPB.... I'm sure they'd drop the likes of MotoGP 2014 straight away. Now there's a thought! Just allow demo users to install bike mods but not the tracks. That's a good idea I think!  ;D

Hawk.

BOBR6 84

very good idea! modded content is all free anyway..

Daniel_F

damn im getting this game!!

image gbp with all the stuff from modders would be a real ........

my two cents xD

h106frp

February 15, 2015, 11:36:17 PM #26 Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 11:38:44 PM by h106frp
Things are starting to remind me of the last time the games industry went down the pan (i am from home computer generation 1), after the boom of the bbc micro/spectrum/vic20/amiga came a lot of early console stuff and people soon got bored of the game play. All that seemed left were repetitive copies of sonic and mortal combat with a few rare highlight i will admit :).

Bit of a gap till the early 386's became affordable and small developers, especially shareware titles started with some new ideas wolfenstein/doom/xwing for new 3d shooters and early decent flight/driving sims. Also a huge variety of adventure/platformers/strategy that drew in a larger audience. New technology evolved (486/pentium) and programmers built on this to establish early classics like quake, C&C, syndicate, monkey island, prince of persia etc.

Then we get PS1 owners wanting to play PC games and the shift to consoles from the PS2 onwards, money to be made and everyone leaps on the bandwagon. But we just do not seem to move forward anymore and seem to be back to dull repetitions of old game models. Small developers lack a real platform for their work, i know Steam and MS have tried so they must see the problem but nothing as independent as the old shareware model and im not sure this would work with today's 'everything for free' download attitude.

Maybe we will go full circle and a cooling market will let some innovation take hold again and we will see some new ideas and quality software emerge again.

I think its notable that the new Elite:Dangerous game had to find a way to avoid publishing houses in order to build the quality game they wanted, finished to a standard they found acceptable without being forced into shortcuts in development or premature game release as they had been previously. By all accounts it is the game players wanted but publishers just do not understand.

Rant over..  :)

girlracerTracey

Quote from: matty0l215 on February 15, 2015, 11:15:01 PM
Got a TLDR version of that :P haha

Sorry! lol. I am told I could talk for England on the phone also.

When I'm typing it all seems to happen so quickly as well..

grT  :)

BOBR6 84

im a 1 finger typer lol. all i get is WARNING somebody else has posted whilst you take all day..  ::) lol

i started on the Amstrad  ;) then i went the console route... so you can blame me  :P

Gpbikes brought me to pc land  ;)

HornetMaX

Quote from: girlracerTracey on February 15, 2015, 10:51:50 PM
In commercial terms motogp14 has been a success though Max.
Sure, never said the opposite. If the goal is sell volumes, the Milestone's approach is probably the correct one.
"Crap" was meant from our point of view, meaning people caring at least a bit about the "sim" side of the thing.
But we're niche. And we'll stay niche no doubt.

Quote from: girlracerTracey on February 15, 2015, 10:51:50 PM
For a relatively small independent developer in the sphere of the mainstream gaming industry it has shifted a requisite number of units.
I'm not sure I'd label them "relatively small independent developer". The means put into MotoGP14 and RIDE are not small: lots of tracks and bikes, lots of official licenses (wait, where's the DLC for Alpinestars earplugs ?), lots of gimmick stuff (that still requires lines of codes, plenty), motion captures for rider animations, ...

I'm practically sure they could do an excellent bike sim: they have the dev power, add a couple of top notch engineers for the physics and bam, done.
Problem is: it wouldn't drive more sales than the stuff they do today, so they don't bother. End of the story.

MaX.

P.S.
I started on vic-20 (3KB ram), after my uncle amazed me with a home made chess player with 7 segments display.
When I look at what an half-decent amateur developper can do today in 2 hours, I'm just amazed.