• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:55:20 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

MaxSCL - A tool to edit .scl files (engine sounds)

Started by HornetMaX, February 22, 2015, 01:07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

February 22, 2015, 01:07:54 AM Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 11:25:44 AM by HornetMaX
Hi all,

a little tool to edit .scl file (only for GPB beta14 and MXB beta8).

Love this stuff and you want to show that ? Have too much money at hand and don't knowe what to do with it ? Donations are welcome  8)
PM me when donations are done, so that I can keep a donors list HERE.

DOWNLOAD v1.4 (2018/07/16) for GPB beta14 & MXB beta8

INSTALLATION: this is not a plugin, it's a standalone tool. Just copy it in a folder where you have write rights (i.e. avoid "Program Files" and similar).

IMPORTANT: some samples are provided in the Samples folder (just from GPB, but it's the same for MXB).
Notice that you will be able to load the default bikes (e.g the 'murasama_rc990_03' for GPB) but you won't be able to "play" the sounds, as the .wav of the default bikes are encrypted. The samples are provided anyway:
  • to show how a properly done .scl is: you can replace the default (encrypted) .wav with your own ones and play with them.
  • to show which files are needed by the tool. Basically the .scl, the bike.cfg, the .engn (all of them, if more than one), the tyreset .cfg, all the .tyre and all the .wav referenced by the .scl.

MaX.

HornetMaX

February 22, 2015, 01:08:09 AM #1 Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 06:27:27 PM by HornetMaX
HELP (I'll beef this up when I have time):

Basic usage:

• Take the entire bike directory of the bike you want and copy it somewhere (avoid messing it up).
  • Run the tool.
  • If a bike uses shared tyres (e.g. the bike 'MotoGP_2017_HONDA_RC213V_MDL1' uses tyres 'Michelin_MotoGP_17'), you must set the 'Tyres folder': from the main window, use menu Main/Tyres folder to point to the correct folder. MaxSCL will try to load the tyre data from that folder firtst (if set) and from the bikes folder after.
  • Open the .scl file of the bike.
  • Play around with the buttons to edit the file: add samples, add points, ... try to understand how each action is reflected in the text editor.
  • You can edit directly the text in the editor: just do a Ctrl+U to update after any change you do in the editor.
  • Play the thing to hear how it sounds. You can use the mouse or any connected joystick/joypad/input device (with analog axis) to control the throttle.

NOTE: you can open the files from GPB/MXB default bikes, but you won't be able to hear any sound as the samples (*.wav) are encrypted. Anything else should work.
NOTE: the tool can't open .pkz files, so the tyres files must be uncompresed.

doubledragoncc

Thanks Max. Great work again.  Look forward to playing with it when I get time lol.

Have a great vacation buddy

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Hawk

Brilliant! Nice one Max!

I'll have fun giving this one a try... I'm hoping it will help me come up with a good sound file for my OW60....

Thanks Max!  ;D 8)

Hawk.

PeterV

thx very much Max, we will give this a try for sure.

Have a nice Holiday.

Eagle

February 22, 2015, 11:36:25 AM #6 Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 12:55:52 PM by Wh1t34Gl3(SAS)
EW GUUUD! Testing right now! Thanks again Max!

Edit:

Few bugs on the save system and adjustment between both scl text and program windows.

h106frp

Very professional looking app. you have created, very slick looking interface and a much needed mod tool.

Be nice to have something similar for bike geometry and physics as this seems as mysterious as the sounds and i do wonder if some of the in-sim handling issues are down to the models rather than the engine. I have seen a few of the on-bike shots that seem to suggest very strange front end arrangements.

Hawk

February 22, 2015, 01:02:20 PM #8 Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 03:19:49 PM by Hawk_UK
Quote from: h106frp on February 22, 2015, 12:48:58 PM
Very professional looking app. you have created, very slick looking interface and a much needed mod tool.

Be nice to have something similar for bike geometry and physics as this seems as mysterious as the sounds and i do wonder if some of the in-sim handling issues are down to the models rather than the engine. I have seen a few of the on-bike shots that seem to suggest very strange front end arrangements.

+1
Totally agree with you on your conclusion.  ;)

Hawk.
PS: I presume you mean "Model" as in geometry model? And "Engine" as in the core programme physics engine?  :)

HornetMaX

Be nice to have something similar for bike geometry and physics
Likely, I'll take a break from 10pm-2am coding :)

For the physics, more than a tool people need a guide, something that explains what does what.
Doing trial & error blindly (let's multiply this by 2, see what happens, if not good divide it by 4) may occasionally stumble on something good, but it surely isn't a good way to go.

However, GPB level of sophistication requires the modder to have some basic understanding of physics, mechanics and ... well, bikes :)
No tool can compensate for these.

MaX.

Warlock

Wow Max, thank you, it looks just great.
Ill give it a go as soon as i have some time to mess around

h106frp

Quote from: Hawk_UK on February 22, 2015, 01:02:20 PM

+1
Totally agree with you on your conclusion.  ;)

Hawk.
PS: I presume you mean "Model" as in geometry model? And "Engine" as in the core programme physics engine?  :)

Yes, those were what i meant to describe. It would be nice at the simplest level if the bike could be read in as the sim-engine does and display the geometry, centers of mass, thrust lines, suspension travels etc so that you could be sure they all at least make sense  to the modeller. If we compare to real life, for a race bike these are all items that are finely adjusted to ensure the bike works as intended. I was really wondering what small errors in rake/trail angles or suspension mounting point angles might cause for the bike in the sim - i was just guessing the outcome gets worse 'in-sim' as the GPB physics model becomes more highly honed and sensitive to these values..

HornetMaX

Quote from: h106frp on February 22, 2015, 05:24:53 PM
It would be nice at the simplest level if the bike could be read in as the sim-engine does and display the geometry, centers of mass, thrust lines, suspension travels etc so that you could be sure they all at least make sense  to the modeller.
Isn't that already doable with the current bike tools ?
I didn't play a lot with them but IIRC that's what the bike goem tool does.

MaX.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) on February 22, 2015, 11:36:25 AM
Few bugs on the save system and adjustment between both scl text and program windows.
Please report them, I'll have a look.

MaX.

Corrie

Hey, MaX, I'm working wit your tool for sounds in Kart Racing-Pro, and when I load a .scl file from KRP, there is an error:
"Unable to parse file:
E:/Program Files (x86)/Kart Racing Pro/engines/i_kf1/i_kf1.cfg
Unable to parse parameter "TYPE" (<string>) in section"

Does this tool not work with the encoding of KRP's files?
Thanks for the tool! Looking forward to a response!