• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 06:38:11 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Ducati_1098sbk sound

Started by Warlock, April 20, 2015, 02:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warlock

https://www.youtube.com/v/HfPLWp2jcuc

DOWNLOAD

Sound i made for the 1098sbk, not the best in the planet, but is smooth at least. Not bad for a 3 wave files: Idle, on, off.
After too many hours searching, editing and discarding sounds from any youtube videos i could found, almost gave up.
So just for curiosity i looked in the duc bikes folders and found a sample that was better than i thought, so i decided to give it a try.
Hope the creator don't mind I used one of the 999duc  samples (with some tunning and editing) for this.

Hope you like it

Thanks also to Max, for his  MaxSCL tool was very easy to make the scl file. But i must say that for some reason i couldn't reproduce the sound
and play with the throttle thing in it. Every time i try, the editor crashed. Didn't with other attemps of sounds, but it seems doesn't like ducatis  ;D
Thanks anyway.

Warlock

Havn't tried it yet online with other riders, any problems, plz let me know.  ;)

Alone

Thank you! sounds pretty cool  8)

GhostdogNL

this sound is way better than the other sounds..atleast this sounds like a duc

alelosbrigia

HornetMaX

Quote from: Warlock on April 20, 2015, 02:40:19 PM
Thanks also to Max, for his  MaxSCL tool was very easy to make the scl file. But i must say that for some reason i couldn't reproduce the sound
and play with the throttle thing in it. Every time i try, the editor crashed. Didn't with other attemps of sounds, but it seems doesn't like ducatis  ;D
Thanks anyway.
Weird, I can play your sound with no problem in MaxSCL.

However I can't play the original 1198sbk sound, because in the .scl some samples do not have the value of RefPitch set (while your .scl, for example, has it set for all its samples).
I don't know exactly how to handle the pitch shifting if RefPitch is not set. Maybe there's a default value, maybe there's some special behaviour when RefPitch is not set.

If anyone can explain, I can eventually fix that. I could spend time trying to reverse engineer it but then, I could equally spend time trying to get a date with Alessandra Ambrosio. And between the two, no matter the infinitesimal chance, I'm more in favour of option 2 lately :)

MaX.

Warlock

Quote from: HornetMaX on April 20, 2015, 07:08:22 PM
Weird, I can play your sound with no problem in MaxSCL.

mmmm, weird  ???  ... too many shit in my pc anyway, i won't blame the tool.

Quote from: HornetMaX on April 20, 2015, 07:08:22 PM
However I can't play the original 1198sbk sound, because in the .scl some samples do not have the value of RefPitch set (while your .scl, for example, has it set for all its samples).
I don't know exactly how to handle the pitch shifting if RefPitch is not set. Maybe there's a default value, maybe there's some special behaviour when RefPitch is not set.
If anyone can explain, I can eventually fix that. I could spend time trying to reverse engineer it but then, I could equally spend time trying to get a date with Alessandra Ambrosio. And between the two, no matter the infinitesimal chance, I'm more in favour of option 2 lately :)
MaX.
lol
Don't bother m8, there is no effort  setting a refpitch , and a lot to try fixing the thing , just don't bother.

Glad you guys liked the sound, thnx

HornetMaX

Quote from: Warlock on April 20, 2015, 08:30:26 PM
lol
Don't bother m8, there is no effort  setting a refpitch , and a lot to try fixing the thing , just don't bother.
But what I don't know is what GPB does when refpitch is not specified (like in the 1198sbk original).

MaX.

Warlock

April 21, 2015, 12:54:35 AM #8 Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 01:09:20 AM by Warlock
Well i would say it takes a default value, maybe refPitch=1 ? 
so it doesn't alter the (MaxPitch_or_ MinPitch * MaxRpm) operation?  ....don't know

I did put on the original engine.scl a 1 as a refpitch where it hasn't been set so i could read it in MaxSCL.
Removed all samples except idle, so i could try things easily.
The thing is you can put any value on refpitch and nothing changes untill you use maxPitch and minPitch resultant values in the sample points, or you set maxPitch or minPitch with a value.

Edit:
I removed all refpitch from my engine.scl and still work exactly the same.
So maybe GPB just doesn't read refPitch (used only for calculations)

HornetMaX

Damn you Warlock, now I have to take a look at this :)

MaX.

Warlock

;D   bye bye Alessandra Ambrosio

HornetMaX

Quote from: Warlock on April 21, 2015, 01:27:34 PM
;D   bye bye Alessandra Ambrosio
Well at least if I'm late coming back to you on this, you know why ...  8)

MaX.

Warlock

HornetMaX

April 22, 2015, 03:28:00 PM #13 Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 03:43:53 PM by HornetMaX
OK, I took a quick look (as I forgot most of the stuff behind that).

So yep, the RefPitch is not used by GPB. And is not used neither by MaxSCL when playing a .scl. Phew ! :)

RefPitch is only used to show the sample's Min and MaxPitch in RPM: MinPitch_in_RPM = MinPitch * RefPitch * MaxRPM (same for MaxPitch_in_RPM).

In v1.0 of MaxSCL, when showing all values in RPM and changing the RefPitch, the Min/MaxPitch (absolute, not RPMs) were automatically adapted to keep their corresponding values in RPM unchanged. Maybe this is too confusing, so now I've put a button to do that. The idea is:

• You define the sample volume envelope (in particular, it's first and last point)
  • You set the sample RefPitch (absolute or in RPM)
  • You click on recompute and the min/maxPitch of the sample are set so that their value in RPM matches the envelope start and end points (in RPM).

If later on you modify the volume envelope's 1st and/or last point, just clicking again on "recompute" will fix the min/maxPitch accordingly. Should be clearer like this.

I've hence made RefPitch optional when parsing a .scl, so that .scl with no refPitch can still be loaded and played (refPitch will default to 1.0). be careful however: if no refPitch is set, the recompute of min/maxPitch may not be correct. Not a big deal: if you don't know what your refPitch is, you're doing tricky things anyway :)

I'll upload a v1.1, as soon as Alessandra falls asleep  :P

MaX.

Warlock

Quote from: HornetMaX on April 22, 2015, 03:28:00 PM
I'll upload a v1.1, as soon as Alessandra falls asleep  :P

;D
Thank you m8

Quote from: HornetMaX on April 22, 2015, 03:28:00 PM
if you don't know what your refPitch is, you're doing tricky things anyway :)
Yes sure, all by ear