• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 08:25:37 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Ingame conversion of Replay videos to usual video formats.

Started by Eagle, May 18, 2015, 10:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJS209

You need a direct recorder for e.g. Onboardvideos. I am using msi afterburner because for my rig the framedrops are acceptable in comparison to fraps and bandicam.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) on May 23, 2015, 03:22:45 PM
Does AfterBurner encode a lossless quality without performance issues ? I doubt that..

No, but same goes for any encoder, including the q3 one.
You seem to think the q3 encoder is easier to use (which is wrong) and more efficient (which I would be very very surprised of).
Again, if the q3 encoder was better than the currently available encoders, they would sell it for big money.

Plus, afterburner seems to be more than a simple windows with a simple start/stop recorder.
Doesn't matter. I'ts ultra-lightweight (install .zip is 34 MB), you are not obliged to use all the other features, not even to pop up its fancy interface once you've configured it (once for ever).
It stays very quiet (iconified in the taskbar, unless you open it), no ads, no spam. It's free (really free), unlimited and without any registration required.
You can disable most of the features (like hardware mnitoring and logging) if you think they have a performance impact. Likely, it is not the case: install it, configure the video recording section and forget it.

You can use it a a simple start-stop recorder: while in GPB, press ctrl+R to start the recording, press ctrl+R again to stop. How hard is that ?

GPB already capture the game seance, no needs to capture it once again adding recorders' problem, THEN converting it to another format.
You don't understand what AfterBurner does.

GPB/Q3 record an internal format: the "demo" or "replay" file is NOT a video, it's a data file that needs to be "rendered". This is done by their internal replay player of GPB or Q3.

AfterBurner (simplifying a lot) capture the screen every X milliseconds and pass this data flow to a video encoder to create a .mkv/avi file. The part that uses CPU resources is the encoding, just like for q3.

If you use no-encoding (e.g. saving a raw video file), the CPU usage is of course very limited, the quality is perfect but the file size is huge (and you may need a fast HDD or SSD to record at decent resolution and high frame rates).

After that it's a matter of balancing 3 things: CPU usage, output file size (average bit rate) and video quality. Pick your own sweet spot: in AfterBurner you can configure everything (including the usage of GPU-accelerated encoders, a thing I really doubt q3 is capable of).

An internal converter and maybe the possibility for few formats would be more useful and easy to use than using few others programs over and after the game.

No, because with AfterBurner/FRAPS you just need to press the "record" button to start/stop: how can anything else be easier ?

MaX.

P.S.
Most recent versions are typically available here: http://www.guru3d.com/files-get/msi-afterburner-beta-download,27.html

Eagle

>JJS209

It's for the replays, as told in the title. And can't view be added into the replay already ? (depending on the bike i guess)

It would fix the problem.

>Max

QuoteNo, but same goes for any encoder, including the q3 one.
You seem to think the q3 encoder is easier to use (which is wrong) and more efficient (which I would be very very surprised of).
Again, if the q3 encoder was better than the currently available encoders, they would sell it for big money.

Q3's encoder permitted me to make videos with crazy quality and a gain of fluidity. When using fraps, i can only film in half size/30fps to keep framerate to a decent level (and it wasn't even enough on URT (the game i showed you), i could barely reach 15 fps)

But it wasn't question of q3's encoder. It's the possible one for gpb which could do a much better work. (q3 is around 15 year old..)

QuoteDoesn't matter. I'ts ultra-lightweight (install .zip is 34 MB), you are not obliged to use all the other features, not even to pop up its fancy interface once you've configured it (once for ever).http://forum.piboso.com/Themes/default/images/bbc/quote.gif
It stays very quiet (iconified in the taskbar, unless you open it), no ads, no spam. It's free (really free), unlimited and without any registration required.
You can disable most of the features (like hardware mnitoring and logging) if you think they have a performance impact. Likely, it is not the case: install it, configure the video recording section and forget it.

You can use it a a simple start-stop recorder: while in GPB, press ctrl+R to start the recording, press ctrl+R again to stop. How hard is that ?

Never said it was hard. Testing it right now though. But i don't have hopes.

QuoteGPB/Q3 record an internal format: the "demo" or "replay" file is NOT a video, it's a data file that needs to be "rendered". This is done by their internal replay player of GPB or Q3.

I know what they are, and you understood what i meant.. The internal converter, specialized for gpbikes, would complete the in game "recorder" and there wouldn't be a need of an external program to be opened/managed (depending on the situation). I never said the EXACT SAME system as q3 should be done, but a similar one or maybe a new one if it is possible (but it will surely need a lot of thinking) . I let piboso or someone else decide of how it will be.

Throw q3 out of your mind, it was an example. The subject is about an internal recorder which could be advantageous compared to other external recorders.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) on May 23, 2015, 09:22:54 PM
Throw q3 out of your mind, it was an example. The subject is about an internal recorder which could be advantageous compared to other external recorders.
Advantageous how exactly ? Because there's where all the discussion lies.

You think it's possible to do better than AfterBurner with an "internal recorder", I don't think it's possible to gain a lot: Video encoding is a demanding task, no matter if integrated or external.

Best quality with smallest CPU (or FPS) hit is typically obtained encoding with no/very light compression (i.e. very large files), and then using a dedicated external encoder (like Handbrake) to re-encode in order to compress significantly preserving quality. As this last step is done offline, the CPU load doesn't really matter. But of course it is a cumbersome process (watch a replay to save into .mkv with no/light compression, re-encode using handbrake and some advanced encoder).

MaX.

Eagle

QuoteYou think it's possible to do better than AfterBurner with an "internal recorder", I don't think it's possible to gain a lot: Video encoding is a demanding task, no matter if integrated or external.

A gain is still a gain.

QuoteBest quality with smallest CPU (or FPS) hit is typically obtained encoding with no/very light compression (i.e. very large files), and then using a dedicated external encoder (like Handbrake) to re-encode in order to compress significantly preserving quality. As this last step is done offline, the CPU load doesn't really matter. But of course it is a cumbersome process (watch a replay to save into .mkv with no/light compression, re-encode using handbrake and some advanced encoder).

Right there, you gave a process that could be done by the internal encoder. :)

Internal or external, the same things would be done, but it will avoid other tasks and launching everything manually.

I just give an idea, how it's made, how it works, it isn't up to me to decide that.

HornetMaX

Not up to me neither. Just pointing out that it will require some significant development for no real gain.

If Piboso wants to do it, then why not. But I'd be very surprised if he decides to do it and even more surprised if he ends up with something be much more efficient than any other (decent) external capture software. Even just 10% more efficient (for the same level of output quality and compression) would be very surprising. And 10% for sure won't change our life.

MaX.

Eagle

Depends on the configs and how it will works. Can just say good luck if it will be added. (beta 24 ? :lol: )

HornetMaX

Quote from: Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) on May 24, 2015, 11:06:14 PM
Depends on the configs and how it will works.
No it doesn't depend on the config, that's the point. Internal or external will be as efficient.

MaX.