• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Race Tips | The all important START.

Started by Napalm Nick, May 19, 2015, 03:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Napalm Nick

May 19, 2015, 03:14:50 PM Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 08:32:02 PM by Napalm Nick
Hi,
I would like to use the Warm-up Lap (not to be confused with the Warm-up Session) in the Club races. It's a feature little used due to the complexity (really?) and cause, of many a Jump Start, but it is a nice touch for the 'feeling' of the game. It really isn't that hard - in a nutshell get near to your position and don't move until the green lights!

No wiggling, adjusting position to gain a few centimetres, gear changing for the fun of it etc.

Anyhoo I made this vid in the hope it might help someone. Please comment on it especially if you see errors, but no-one say nuffin bout my clutch control  :o

(By the way I have double posted cos I would like CLUB related comments here and GENERAL questions in the VIDEOS thread please, ta)

I would suggest FULL SCREEN to see the annotations easier...

https://www.youtube.com/v/wjppksWhBsQ&feature=youtu.be
Watch in HD 720p on Youtube.

NOTE IN THE VIDEO I SELECT GEAR AFTER THE LIGHTS GO RED - This is OK to do when there is a Warm-Up lap and you aren't close to the front of the box - however it may cause a JUMP START if your race has no warm-up lap or you are very close to the front of the box - IN BOTH CASES IT IS BEST TO SELECT GEAR BEFORE THE LIGHTS SEQUENCE STARTS - EVEN BEFORE THE START BOX DISAPPEARS

Also here is a copy of ARVOSS' excellent picture guide:

Quote from: Arvoss on March 23, 2014, 05:03:29 PM
A lot of guys jumpstart because they think the box has to be red  ::) I decided to make this tutorial for the noobs  ::)

Sighting lap

The sighting lap takes 5 minutes. When the timer is on 0:00, the warmup lap starts. Make sure you see the green flag.

Warmup lap

The warmup lap takes 5 minutes BUT it ends once the final rider is on the grid. So don't move on the grid during the warmup lap!

Race

Don't move on the grid and wait until the lights go off.

Position

Most important part, the position.
Go to the red arrow (that's your position on the grid). Use the walkkeys (default: I, K) once you're near the grid.
If you see an arrow in a box, it's ok. If the box is red, it's not ok!

Wrong: Box is red = jumpstart

Wrong: Box is not red but you're too near the line. A bit of lag = jumpstart. Steering a bit too much = jumpstart.

Good

tl;dr:
BOX = RED => BAD
USE THE WALK KEYS (I,K)

Quote from: Napalm Nick on May 23, 2015, 09:46:50 PM

A couple of points I would like to re-iterate as a reminder:

1.  Check the WEATHER before EVERY session and check your SETUP before going to track EVERY time.   If you don't realise you have the wrong tyres until after the Warmup lap starts there is nothing to be done except either retire (if you try to go to pits you will Retire) or race with the wrong tyres. The same goes for the wrong or no, setup.                                      :-[ You will feel very silly and might break your controller.

2. When forming up at the end of the Warm-up lap you have until the last rider is in position before the start box disappears. Once it has disappeared any more movement (This includes selecting Gear) will cause a Jump Start up to the point of the GREEN lights. So during the Pre-Start get 100% ready to pull away including selecting gear. No movement whatsoever between start box disappearing and green lights.
It is hoped that utilising the warm-up lap will reduce this bug occurring by allowing you to align in the start box away from the front of it.

If you DO jump start, DO NOT cross the start/finish line if possible until lights are Green! This will prevent a double penalty - A ride through AND an extra lap to do (which is wrong we know).

3. If you DO get a Ride through penalty take it on the first lap and make sure you are at Pit Lane speed for the whole Ride through - you should take time before the race to find out where the Pit In speed limit starts!

4. Finally avoid Armageddon on the first lap - tyres are cold, fuel is heavy, nerves are jangling. "To finish first, first you must finish"

Thanks to Max for his Ride through investigations, hopefully PiBoSo will release more details to his questions.

Lets have some fun.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Napalm Nick

May 19, 2015, 03:17:44 PM #1 Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 08:21:21 AM by Napalm Nick
PS:

I intend to use the PAUSE/SAVE Server feature post Qualifying sessions in the Club Races.

This will enable us to restart the race multiple times should we have core / jump start / disqualification fun times  ;D

Edit: Have given up on this function for now until B7 when we might try again.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Hawk

Great start tips there Nick... Nice one!  8)

Does the "Save/Pause" effect the riders in any way? I don't think I've been through this on a server before. Lol

Hawk.

Napalm Nick

Thanks Hawk,

I will endeavour to explain the routine once I have tested it a twid more  ;)

BOBR6 84

A club I race with issues a £50 fine and a bollocking off the clerk of the course if you crash on the warm-up lap!

I can set up a paypal acount if you like?  ;D ;D :P

Napalm Nick

Hehe!
All fines behind the bar please  ;D

C21

Nice one.
Could the box be adjusted?
I asked because in real race we intend to position the front wheel to the line as near as possible.....you can see in pic 2.
As you said this can lead to jump start although the wheel is behind the line.  >:(
pic2 is real life racing situation  ;)
# Member of the CAWS Racing Team #

Napalm Nick

Its a good point, the start box routine needs to be made simpler because jump starts are far too easy, not sure that has any priority just yet though. Every racer will try to align right to the line of course, every inch is a gain.

Hence Arvoss solution lessens the pain for now.

matty0l215

I always set my bike up like the example in pic 2 and ive never had a problem. I just let off the steering input, put the bike in gear with front break applied untill lights out then on thottle. I do use auto clutch though...
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

Napalm Nick

Holding the brake (I use the rear) at gear selection is also very important as noticed in the last race of the M3 championship and can also be experienced on the Club server 2 currently set for race start practice at Snetterton.

Once 1st (or 2nd - good tip) gear is selected with clutch in the bike may roll forwards or backwards depending on the start straight inclination - an easy way to suffer a jump start.

Not sure if auto clutchers have the same realism, but then they aren't being realistic anyway hahaha. :P

Boerenlater

Auto clutch gives you a terrible slow start anyway.
I stopped gaming (and GP-Bikes)

matty0l215

Quote from: Boerenlater on May 20, 2015, 10:43:44 AM
Auto clutch gives you a terrible slow start anyway.

I sort of cheat. Auto clutch with manual override. I get good enough starts as i know there will be a crash at the first corner :P
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

Napalm Nick

Yeh lol to be fair there's a few auto and manual combinations that enhance the control, not lessen it, and its more of a skill not less of one
+5 points for initiative

Napalm Nick

Quote from: Hawk UK on May 19, 2015, 03:22:49 PM
Great start tips there Nick... Nice one!  8)

Does the "Save/Pause" effect the riders in any way? I don't think I've been through this on a server before. Lol

Hawk.

Well, the idea is to save everyone's qually session in the event of disasters at race start. It is also good for sessions that are over more than one day (EG: Qual Sat / Race Sun)

I have been setting it up and testing it out and all it means to the rider is that at the end of Qually you leave the server and then rejoin about 30 seconds later ready for the race (Server admin is furiously typing code into the server between sessions so be patient).

It also means I have the chance to re-arrange the starting grid (lol). This might be nice, say, for reversing the grid for race 2.

Full facts of the above statement will be revised on advice received from the Club Advisory board (Peter V) when he replies to my emails  ;D

Napalm Nick

May 23, 2015, 09:46:50 PM #14 Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 08:44:52 PM by Napalm Nick
Thanks to everyone who has used the GPBOC 2 | Race Start Practice server over the last couple of days I think we all have the idea now  ;D

A couple of points I would like to re-iterate as a reminder:

1.  Check the WEATHER before EVERY session and check your SETUP before going to track EVERY time.   If you don't realise you have the wrong tyres until after the Warmup lap starts there is nothing to be done except either retire (if you try to go to pits you will Retire) or race with the wrong tyres. The same goes for the wrong or no, setup.                                      :-[ You will feel very silly and might break your controller.

2. When forming up at the end of the Warm-up lap you have until the last rider is in position before the start box disappears. Once it has disappeared any more movement (This includes selecting Gear) will cause a Jump Start up to the point of the GREEN lights. So during the Pre-Start get 100% ready to pull away including selecting gear. No movement whatsoever between start box disappearing and green lights.
It is hoped that utilising the warm-up lap will reduce this bug occurring by allowing you to align in the start box away from the front of it.

If you DO jump start, DO NOT cross the start/finish line if possible until lights are Green! This will prevent a double penalty - A ride through AND an extra lap to do (which is wrong we know).

3. If you DO get a Ride through penalty take it on the first lap and make sure you are at Pit Lane speed for the whole Ride through - you should take time before the race to find out where the Pit In speed limit starts!

4. Finally avoid Armageddon on the first lap - tyres are cold, fuel is heavy, nerves are jangling. "To finish first, first you must finish"

Thanks to Max for his Ride through investigations, hopefully PiBoSo will release more details to his questions.

Lets have some fun.