• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Windows 10 reservation notification

Started by h106frp, June 01, 2015, 09:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Napalm Nick

June 03, 2015, 08:24:55 AM #15 Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 08:48:00 AM by Napalm Nick
Quote from: doubledragoncc on June 02, 2015, 11:54:55 PM
IT is still only an upgrade even if you do a fresh install, you HAVE to have WIN 7 or 8 installed to upgrade to 10. There is NO stand alone WIN 10. Just wanted to make it clear as many read the words fresh install as only WIN 10, not an upgrade.
DD
Really? :o  I really hope not.  I mean you can DL the W10 Preview ISO and burn to disc already for fresh installs, see below why I fear it.  And what happens after the free upgrade period and you buy a PC without an installed OS?

Quote from: h106frp on June 03, 2015, 07:38:37 AM

If it is an install over an original system only then its a disaster waiting to happen  :D

Yep lol.  I no likey 'upgrading'. It may well work after, but I would make less mess if I filled a scatter gun with the upgrade files and fired them randomly at my hard drive  ;D  Bill sure has no respect for drive platters hehe.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

HornetMaX

Quote from: h106frp on June 03, 2015, 07:38:37 AM
If it is an install over an original system only then its a disaster waiting to happen  :D
^ That. Despite the fact recently Microsoft has vastly improved their update stuff, I'm still very very skeptical about upgrading from one OS version to the next (or next next) without a fresh install.

Also, I may want to install 10 on a new SSD and keep the current one with 7 at hand, just in case.

No fresh install, no party. Even if that means I have to pay for 10.

MaX.

doubledragoncc

Thats why its FREE if you have 7 or 8! You HAVE to have an installed OS to upgrade, the FRESH install means you install 7 or 8 FRESH THEN 10 upgrade. They will naturally offer a FULL 10 to BUY, but only upgrade is FREE. They aint all that stupid to give a WHOLE OS for FREE!

Sorry, not my bad lol

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

HornetMaX

They could work out a way to allow you a (free) 10 key if you already have 7/8 and still allow you a fresh install.

It will be prone to attack, but anyway anything is, so ...

MaX.

doubledragoncc

You said it as it is MAX. We should get a FULL version to make it work as it should as I HATE upgrades. Just give me the whole thing dang it lol

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

JamoZ

It even works on a "custom" version of windows 7/8  ::)

Free windows 10 anyone? :P

HornetMaX

Quote from: JamoZ on June 03, 2015, 08:09:16 PM
That's not yet confirmed, as far as I know.

MaX.

HornetMaX

Just got this: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/06/yes-youll-be-able-to-do-clean-installs-of-the-free-windows-10-upgrade/

So, as expected, it's a yes, but there are conditions.
Advice stands: wait 4-6 months. There's no rush.

MaX.

P.S.
The subtitle added by the site that referenced the article was "Until they change the rules (next week, or maybe tomorrow)".

JamoZ

June 04, 2015, 06:27:05 PM #23 Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 06:28:55 PM by JamoZ
Quote from: HornetMaX on June 03, 2015, 09:36:16 PM
Quote from: JamoZ on June 03, 2015, 08:09:16 PM
That's not yet confirmed, as far as I know.

MaX.

Well, i`ve already had the RC running, and my upgrade is already reserved.
I`ve used one of those OEM activators so i guess it`ll work.

Not that i could recommend win10 to anyone at this moment  :-X

HornetMaX

Quote from: JamoZ on June 04, 2015, 06:27:05 PM
Well, i`ve already had the RC running, and my upgrade is already reserved.
I`ve used one of those OEM activators so i guess it`ll work.

That's exactly the thing that is not granted to work. The fact it works in the RC doesn't imply anything.
Anyway, we'll see ... one extra reason to wait a bit :)

MaX.

JamoZ

I`ll report if it`ll work, if yes then free windows 10 for everyone!

Alby46

Quote from: HornetMaX on June 02, 2015, 02:02:42 PM
Anyway, unless i have a lot of reports that says that upgrading works fine, I prefer a clean install.

And we don't know yet if this will be possible (within the "free" upgrade program).

MaX.
it will be after the installation via upgrade
Still riding a 50cc, but enjoying it :)

h106frp

Finally seemed to have worked out that the millions of unlicensed copies of DOS and then win3.x /98 then the 'corporate' XP key versions are probably responsible for windows/MS becoming so popular (dominant).

Once people had to pay for a license for each machine user base started to fall off and people became openly critical of the OS (vista) even though it was arguably better than its forebears.

The money for MS was always in applications and other software that uses their (restricted) platform so giving away the OS probably makes economic sense in the longer term.

Just wait for the 'not fair/uncompetitive' legal threats from other platform developers who realistically could lose a lot of user base.

HornetMaX

Quote from: h106frp on June 22, 2015, 11:35:41 AM
The money for MS was always in applications and other software that uses their (restricted) platform so giving away the OS probably makes economic sense in the longer term.
A lot of money for them has always been in business licenses, and these wont be free for Win10.

Personally I still think they could have shot for a low price (e.g. 20-30$), just for educational purposes: I like the idea of paying something that is worth.

But I do think what they are doing makes a lot of sense. I'd just like them to communicate it in a better and clearer manner: FFS, if it is free, just say it and provide a download link. Period.

Quote from: h106frp on June 22, 2015, 11:35:41 AM
Just wait for the 'not fair/uncompetitive' legal threats from other platform developers who realistically could lose a lot of user base.
That would be a bit laughable, won't it ? Apple and/or Linux screaming at Microsoft because Win10 is free ...

MaX.