• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Selecting first from neutral while stationary with auto gearbox

Started by h106frp, June 02, 2015, 06:32:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

h106frp

Could it be made so that when the bike is stationary and the auto gearbox/clutch assist is ON (gamepad mode  ::) ) that the virtual rider selects and engages first gear at lower RPM or feeds in the clutch more gently. Dumping the clutch in first at 12000rpm on a 1000cc machine makes pulling away a pain.

Just something that might help people new to the game get started a bit quicker as well :)

C21

do you have the issue on all bikes or on specific ones?
i can really recommend to use manual gear shift!
# Member of the CAWS Racing Team #

h106frp

Find it worse the more powerful the bike, engine revs to 'normal' auto shift and then engages gear and dumps the clutch in - i like to run without wheelie assist so the bike will flip over on the spot, you can get round it it by blipping the throttle and then letting the engine bog down, similar to having anti wheelie on but this then leads to wobbly pull away.

The virtual rider should really make a better job of launching the bike though, especially when you want a new rider to enjoy getting started with GPB.

Manual gears....... i have an idea for that, watch this space  ;)

BOBR6 84

On my r6 I hold the throttle at around 6000-8000rpm.. I try to do similar in gpbikes but I always mess up the starts lol.

I think superbikes, grand prix bikes and more.. Have launch control so they can give it full throttle and dump the clutch.. So yeah, launch control would be cool in GPB! Then starting in manual or auto would be about the same..

h106frp

Yes, maybe a dedicated launch control is the correct way to go if it is a feature available on the real bike.

My main issue is that auto gears is a rider 'assist' option, it should not make an aspect of the sim more difficult than necessary. When you choose an assist you assume the virtual 'expert' rider is going to take over that task  and make a decent go of it, but it would actually seem that he is not very good at starts either  ;)
b.t,w. on some of the MOD bikes he also chooses the worst moments to downshift and dump the clutch as well, maybe its the virtual riders (lack of) clutch control that is really the issue.

I think we must all know how frustrating that first few minutes with GPB can be and the 'wobbly start' especially on any sort of incline can be very confusing at first. Rider assists should make the game more approachable for more casual 'players' especially as 'Ride' (even with all its faults) has raised a bit of interest in bike sims again and its possibly a chance to capture a few new GPB players.

C21

Quoteb.t,w. on some of the MOD bikes he also chooses the worst moments to downshift and dump the clutch as well, maybe its the virtual riders (lack of) clutch control that is really the issue.
a bit of both  :)
In some Mod bikes the autoshift function is not correctly working because the modder don´t care about autoshift.
I think that only a few users are playing with autoshift.
It has so many disadvantages compared to manual shift that i really don´t care about proper adjustments of the autoshift function, i did not even test it on my mods.

HornetMaX

Auto-shift is probably the least useful aid. Learning to shift manually takes a whopping 5 minutes.
I wouldn't blink too much if it was totally removed from GPB.

I do agree with C21 that the game must play nice for newcomers, but I have the perfect solution for that: stick a 50cc scooter in the default bikes :) :) :)

MaX.

h106frp

Never could get on with manual gears on a gamepad - don't know why, tried a few times with GP500 - maybe i should persevere more, but i am going to make a foot shifter so hopefully not an issue for me in the future.

Strange when normal bike riding it is very natural and you do not even think about clutch/throttle/footshift when riding, just happens.

I also assumed a bit more AI for the virtual rider, i did not realize the changes are just programmed points.

Be interesting to see a poll of what rider aids are commonly used, might start one later out of curiosity.

50cc auto-scooters would make for some close (but very slow) racing  ;D mini-moto bikes would be more comical with the current rider model though.

C21

QuoteBe interesting to see a poll of what rider aids are commonly used, might start one later out of curiosity.
That will be interesting  indeed.

i also prefer to shift, accelerate, brake and declutch like on the real bike...think i will be faster using real controls  :)
it takes sometime to adapt to a gamepad but it´s worth the time.

HornetMaX

Quote from: h106frp on June 03, 2015, 07:55:41 AM
Never could get on with manual gears on a gamepad - don't know why, tried a few times with GP500 - maybe i should persevere more
How is your joypad configured ?

Normally using manual gears is really trivial (actually easier than real life, given that essentially you don't have do use the clutch at all in GPB).

Be interesting to see a poll of what rider aids are commonly used, might start one later out of curiosity.
None I'd suspect, as mostly they just slow you down.

MaX.

h106frp

Quote from: HornetMaX on June 03, 2015, 09:06:53 AM
Never could get on with manual gears on a gamepad - don't know why, tried a few times with GP500 - maybe i should persevere more
How is your joypad configured ?

Normally using manual gears is really trivial (actually easier than real life, given that essentially you don't have do use the clutch at all in GPB).

None I'd suspect, as mostly they just slow you down.

MaX.

Im not sure its pad configuration - the brain just does not seem to register that i need to press a button - even when the engine is screaming for mercy. I guess i just got lazy and fell back on auto on gp500 and it has just carried through to GPB - I will attempt to improve and join the big boys manual gearshift club  :) :) I foresee a few blown engines on my horizon.... ;)

HornetMaX

Quote from: h106frp on June 03, 2015, 09:17:07 AM
Im not sure its pad configuration - the brain just does not seem to register that i need to press a button - even when the engine is screaming for mercy. I guess i just got lazy and fell back on auto on gp500 and it has just carried through to GPB - I will attempt to improve and join the big boys manual gearshift club  :) :) I foresee a few blown engines on my horizon.... ;)
Simulated engines, no biggie :)

MaX.

JJS209

Quote from: BOBR6 84 on June 03, 2015, 03:02:45 AM
On my r6 I hold the throttle at around 6000-8000rpm.. I try to do similar in gpbikes but I always mess up the starts lol.

I think superbikes, grand prix bikes and more.. Have launch control so they can give it full throttle and dump the clutch.. So yeah, launch control would be cool in GPB! Then starting in manual or auto would be about the same..
the gpb r6 is a wss, isnt it? so it has more horsepower and maybe another, how is it called, powerline?

BOBR6 84

Yes my R6 is 110hp.. (after some tuning :( but, couple of things still to do ;)) A wss 600 is probably pushing 140hp..
The point is.. On the grid I dont use full throttle and dump the clutch.