• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

GPBikes Owners Club | GP800 NDS CHAMPIONSHIP | Info & Sign-up | COMPLETE

Started by Napalm Nick, July 14, 2015, 01:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

Quote from: teeds on August 24, 2015, 03:30:04 PM
Nick, it seems most find this bike a handful and a half, so why not wrap this champ up and start a fresh on a bike that's more user friendly? Maybe SSP600 or Moto2 for instance. Also might I suggest that we have 2 shorter races instead of 1 longer one maybe? Might give more incentive to keep people interested for race 2 and another go at a race per event. I now you like the tyre wearing aspect but maybe hold the odd long event for tyre management skills. Pity we don't have tyre wear acceleration options.

Also not sure how many on here have raced car sims much but one aspect of it I think this game could benefit from is to have servers setup not just for endless practice but lots of short races, it hardly ever seems to happen. In nearly all car sims on-line public servers it is about 10-15 mins practice, a short qually session and then into a 5-10 min race, then rinse and repeat. It can be really popular. This is one thing I've found odd about the GPB on-line racing scene, but I know it's a bit of a pain without the ability to join and wait for the next race during a race, as you can with all car sims I can remember.
The above could make race practice far less of a chore and better prepare people for riding races.

Just my thoughts to make the best of what we have  :)

Some very good points there teeds.  ;)

I would also be happy to go along with wrapping up this Champs and starting another with a more stable bike.  But quite willing to continue with the GP800 Champs if you(Nick) decide to do so. ;)

But personally I think that short races promote the hot-lapping race attitude we are trying to wean riders off? A race should be a proper race distance, otherwise it becomes a sprint which in my opinion is not a race at all because it defeats the purpose of real racing which is to use your skills to win a race over a certain distance. It's the difference between running a 100 meter race and a 1500 meter race; yes they are both races but require totally different approaches if you wish to win both or even one for that matter.   ;D
However, having said that I personally would also be happy to have the two race option but instead of both races being short sprint races, have one a long real race distance and the 2nd race the shorter distance sprint race there-by satisfying both points of view. But I really would recommend having the long race the first race to make the shorter race more interesting after the fatigue of riding in the long race first... Evil me! Hehe  ;D

As for the 5-10 min online race server: Great idea, but really don't think it would work right now for the very reasons you point out above in your post. One definitely for the future though I think. Would be great though if it were possible now.  ;D 8)

Definitely all for anything that would help prepare riders to learn to actually race and not treat a race as a hot-lapping competition. But I feel this can only be achieved by riders entering real race distance events.

Just my thoughts.... Would be very interesting to hear others thoughts too.  ;)

Hawk.

matty0l215

What about the BSB race setup?

2 medium length races (14 laps of Silverstone for BSB vs 20 of Moto GP) so maybe 11-12 laps instead of 18 we did the other week.

Just a suggestion :)
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

Hawk

Quote from: matty0l215 on August 24, 2015, 04:15:15 PM
What about the BSB race setup?

2 medium length races (14 laps of Silverstone for BSB vs 20 of Moto GP) so maybe 11-12 laps instead of 18 we did the other week.

Just a suggestion :)
BSB race format is a good idea Matty.  ;)

Two medium length races of 14 laps per race would be a good compromise(though the full 18 laps would be better. Hehe  :P ), but any less than 14 laps starts to become a sprint for me personally. Just my thoughts of course.  :P ;D

Can I just ask all who prefer shorter race distances - "What is your reasoning behind wanting shorter race distances?".  At the moment I just don't understand were riders are coming from in wanting shorter race distances(laps). ;)

Hawk.

CapeDoctor

Hawk, my feelings on race length are much as yours - i prefer a slightly longer/medium length race, otherwise, as you say, it becomes a crazy sprint race.
i'd settle for any race, though, lol - having not made it for any events so far, i will be remedying that soon, and then once i have a decent connection, i hope to be a regular at race events.  8)

Blackheart

August 24, 2015, 06:05:35 PM #124 Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 06:08:07 PM by Blackheart
I read just a bunch of nonsense ... people being able to finish the last (for luck) race, throws shit about who has renounced, for game bugs, clear as the sun.

Hawk I exchange a race for a hot-lap race? Who has the best times in practice and qualifying is normal to be competitive in the race, this should be easy to understand.

Criticized randomly, without knowing that it was my first rage-quit! And it was perfectly justified.

Napalm Nick

August 24, 2015, 07:19:42 PM #125 Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 10:29:18 AM by Napalm Nick
Leaderboard updated HERE
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Hawk

Quote from: Hawk UK on August 24, 2015, 08:14:21 AM
Quote from: Blackheart on August 23, 2015, 09:37:28 PM
I suppose you have not seen the replay ... looks like I lose the bike the first time, lost the back under acceleration with TCS to max!
After that I always missed the front, certainly not for my mistakes!
With my race pace, I could easily do the second, walking quietly for the track. Instead it was another race ruined by a bad physics of the front, and also the bike.

P.S. Same thing happened to Nick, what the hell are racing if you can not push to the maximum?

In addition to yan was not counted a lap despite having doubled almost all riders ... there's much to work.

Hi Blackheart.

Yes I have seen the replay(first thing I do after the race. Lol ). I understand were your frustrations are coming from, I saw your falls in the race...

Let's face it, we've all rage quit at some stage in the past(I personally could've easily rage quit after that first fall in the race yesterday when my bike decided to do it's get-up and piss off down the road routine. Lol ), but we all know GPB is a beta and we all understand that there is still work to be done by Piboso to sort out certain issues with the physics, but having said that the GP10 is not a particularly stable bike in my opinion and I think we all know that? Again in my opinion it's more to do with the actual bike physics than a GPB physics problem and consequently this results in real frustrations in rider performance at times.

I certainly agree with you that there is nothing worse than not being able to ride to the max with a bike, but at the same time we all have to deal with the same problems and in a race situation riders should really ride a bike according to it's and the riders ability; after all, if your bike has a puncture you wouldn't go into a corner at the same speed as you would normally expect to if it didn't have a puncture - result would be a crash. So why push an unstable bike to your max in a race when you know you cannot do that without crashing? You may get away with it for one or two laps in a hotlap situation but in a race you cannot ride any bike(stable or not) at 110% all the time or your going to crash out.
I'm sure Jan would agree that to go faster in a race you actually have to ride slower than when your hotlapping(if that makes sense? Lol ). In other words if in a race situation you push too hard then you will actually slow your overall race time down quite considerably although on some laps you may do a great lap time. So if I may say so with no disrespect to you at all because your a good rider, but judging a race distance performance on a hot-lap performance is a total nonsense.  :)

Another thing riders need to consider when they rage quit is that it degrades the whole race for other riders, in that other riders final positions are not a true reflection on the race and there abilities, and the more people who rage quit the less of an actual race the event becomes.
The whole point of a race is testing your ability to ride the bike you have(unstable or not) at the fastest speed over a certain distance and number of laps to the best of your ability. What we don't need is riders displaying tantrums and rage quitting..... I'm sure if that rider was in a real team he wouldn't last very long before his butt was kicked down the road to nowhere. Lol.  ;D

Next time we're on track you can give me the finger if you like. Hehe.  But overall I'm sure you'd agree that for the benefit of virtual racing, "Rage quitting" needs to be frowned upon in a big way?  :)

Hawk.

Quote from: Blackheart on August 24, 2015, 06:05:35 PM
I read just a bunch of nonsense ... people being able to finish the last (for luck) race, throws shit about who has renounced, for game bugs, clear as the sun.

Hawk I exchange a race for a hot-lap race? Who has the best times in practice and qualifying is normal to be competitive in the race, this should be easy to understand.

Criticized randomly, without knowing that it was my first rage-quit! And it was perfectly justified.

I was hoping you'd take my post above as just some friendly advice and sympathy from a fellow rider, but obviously not. I invite you to read my post again(quoted above) fully. I too thought it would be easy to understand.  :P ;)

Hawk.

Blackheart

Remember that English is not my language ... I might have misunderstood, it had seemed a criticism to those who retired from racing.

I repeat, I have not retired absolutely because I was driving badly, I drove like I did in the days of practice and qualifying, but after a series of falls absurd, in my opinion not for my mistakes, I was not enjoying it more.

To clarify there is no problem  ;), it's just frustrating that the development of GP bikes may not proceed as I'd like.

Hawk

Quote from: Blackheart on August 24, 2015, 07:47:10 PM
Remember that English is not my language ... I might have misunderstood, it had seemed a criticism to those who retired from racing.

I repeat, I have not retired absolutely because I was driving badly, I drove like I did in the days of practice and qualifying, but after a series of falls absurd, in my opinion not for my mistakes, I was not enjoying it more.

To clarify there is no problem  ;), it's just frustrating that the development of GP bikes may not proceed as I'd like.

No problem Blackheart. I understand that misunderstandings are very easy when trying to express things between different cultures and language bases, especially on forums. Lol.  So no worries mate! All is cool!  ;D 8)

I agree, there is a lot of frustration about the pace of GPB development at this time, very understandable.  ;)

Hawk.
PS: Actually I thought your English is very good! Mine probably not so good! Hehe.  ;D

Napalm Nick

OK I have a lot to read in your posts and comment on here (all my opinions so not worth getting mad at ,sorry it is long):

1. GP800 being a difficult bike to ride - actually I don't think it is that bad for what it is supposed to be emulating - it is the fundamental problem in the game engine that this bike amplifies. To be honest I really like it, it should be difficult to master but it shouldn't randomly fall over!

2. Easier bikes should be chosen - As you know I am not a huge fan of using the same old bikes every time. A lot of work has been put in by the authors for every bike here and I respect that and want to give them 'their time on track'. It is the fundamental problem in the game engine which, when fixed, will make all the bikes ride great I am sure.

3. There is one more round to go in this championship - Suzuka, as chosen a long time ago now so it would be only right to revert to that plan. I was hoping to make it an even 10 rounds but lets blow that off!

4.  Yes rage quitting should be avoided at all costs (unless your sanity is threatened  :-[) just getting to the end will provide a good points haul and, more importantly, experience. While we struggle to get 10 players bringing in more rules is the wrong direction I think.

5. Milking a Dead Cow

Fin - I chose the GP800 based on what people wanted at the time - "big powerful MotoGP races!" and I didn't know it would be such a cucumber. Please don't suggest I 'always choose bikes that are difficult to ride'. I didn't know this would be so difficult, and to be fair to me, nor did the 25 people who signed up to race or I would of thought someone would mention it.  ;)

6.Race Length - again all the suggestions are great.  These long races were put on because they were asked for specifically (and yes I do like them and the tyre wear we experience and the fact they aren't sprints etc).  Personally I would be very happy to have a short sprint race and a long race on the same night (Short first so people who jump start/get disqualified don't have to hang around a long time for the next race) whether that is feasible is another thing. Or the BSB idea but with that we lose the long race 'fun' but we could have the odd long one thrown in. Hmmmm.

7. Final thought - All ideas and suggestions are wonderful and I would like nothing more than to be able to put on a race with a full grid every night to capture everyone's needs, but we have to face a reality - we have 25 riders signed up to this championship and we struggle to get more than 4 -8 at any events at all.. The effort involved (although I am happy to do it) really does not justify the attendance and is very disappointing after complaints there was not much going on.
When we created this Club it was to support the main championships with more racing opportunities but there has not been one organised at all! Attendance has now dropped off where most people will just come back if when B7 is announced. And I do not blame them one bit - to be honest on black days I want to join them.

Quote from: finpower on August 24, 2015, 08:51:17 AM
as I said, I'm also satisfied to go with this cucumber.
perhaps, the server will then be full again.
Greeting fin

I try to live by the club motto of "Making the best job with the tools we have" but it is getting more and more difficult without any game changes and, more importantly, just some communication from the developer so we know he has acknowledged the problems and has a plan to fix them (or not , even). I don't think that is a lot to ask.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

BOBR6 84

Bring it all on, endurance, sprint, road, sbk, gp, stk, ssp whatever   ;D  ;D  8) its all good  ;)
Only reason I havnt joined is my working hours clash at the moment.. Probably same for others too! Not just the beta7 news, not all doom n gloom lol ;D

We know beta7 may take a while, we know about the bugs, core.exe's and  physics problems.. But, its still alot of fun especially when u get a good race going  8) ;D

For me personally the best racing iv'e seen and had in GPB is with the 600's  8)

Patrick

Quote from: BOBR6 84 on August 24, 2015, 11:47:33 PM
Bring it all on, endurance, sprint, road, sbk, gp, stk, ssp whatever   ;D  ;D  8) its all good  ;)
Only reason I havnt joined is my working hours clash at the moment.. Probably same for others too! Not just the beta7 news, not all doom n gloom lol ;D

We know beta7 may take a while, we know about the bugs, core.exe's and  physics problems.. But, its still alot of fun especially when u get a good race going  8) ;D

For me personally the best racing iv'e seen and had in GPB is with the 600's  8)

Damn right! And don't forget it's summer, I heard people go outside in this time, sometimes even in the evening!  ;) I have been on holiday the last 4 weeks, doing real life stuff like riding, traveling, spending time with the family. I think there are some more people doing this.
Don't worry, there will be better times when the weather gets darker and colder ( our Australian friends not included.  8) )
I do like the 800 duc, it was a good decision nick! Doing races on supersports bikes, we can do in reality, just book a track day. Or we all meet some time anywhere.  ;)

Best!

Boerenlater

I say I had the most fun with the 250. Especially on that long road course we did.
I stopped gaming (and GP-Bikes)

Napalm Nick

LEADERBOARD UPDATED HERE

CONGRATULATIONS!

Well done Yan - a much deserved winner and thoroughly nice chap too!
Bien fait Yan, un gagnant fantastique!

Special congrats to Finpower who put up an excellent campaign to finish 2nd!

And Well done to Teeds who, unfortunately couldn't be with us for the last race, congrats on 3rd!

I would like to say thanks to ALL those who have participated it is very much appreciated.  8)