• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Strange HD happenings....

Started by CapeDoctor, August 27, 2015, 06:32:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeDoctor

this is weird.....on Sunday i was thinkung about freeing up some hard drive space on my C drive, which had ony 25GB free space.
i thought no more of it until yesterday, when i looked again and suddenly there was 125GB free space..... and i had not removed/deleted/uninstalled anything yet.
really perturbing. i can't see anything missing, nothing in recycle bin....  ???
it's normally good news to have more free space, but slightly disconcerting that i never did anything to cause this, it just happened, lol.
strange...
anyway, just thought i'd throw that out there, lol  ;D

h106frp

Is it a SSD ? The drive will recover space during automated 'garbage collection' activities that occur when the PC is idle.

CapeDoctor

not an SSD, plain old-fashioned SATA - 500GB
and i've had it for 3 years already, i'm sure i would know about any automated processes. Win 7 64-bit, btw.

CapeDoctor

hmm...well, i'm aware of that update, it's been installed for around 2 months now. (i always check out any windows updates and what they do before installing them, btw)
so, i guess it's possible that it cleared up some space, but 100GB!?  :o
just wondering, if i had to do a sys restore, to see if i can find the differences, but maybe better to let sleeping dogs lie, lol
like i said, i can't find anything missing, and everything seems to be working fine, so maybe i should just be grateful for the extra space, and leave it at that :D